Lamy Aion Colors For 2020?

Vicary

I'm really liking the new Lamy Aions. I picked up the olive-silver fountain pen when they were first released, and also grabbed both of the 2019 special colors- red and blue. Do any of the Lamy experts out there know if there will be additional colors offered for 2020? I could see myself collecting all the colors of this one...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bogiesan

• jchch1950

• Vicary

• Calabria

Some of the European members have early information on colors and will post. You can check the Lamy German site, the Lamy USA site, and retailers like Goulet or even Endless Pens on a regular basis. I obtained the Aion red and blue from Endless last year about 2 months before anyone else had them for sale.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they fix the rattling cap.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I hope they fix the rattling cap.

Both of my 2019 LE Aions rattle. I got over it. But the caps do stay on securely when posted. That was a little more difficult to get over.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I have been using a Blue Aion as my only pen for 3 weeks as I'm traveling without any problem with rattling cap. To keep the cap posted I push it a little hard into place and no problem.

I have been using a Blue Aion as my only pen for 3 weeks as I'm traveling without any problem with rattling cap. To keep the cap posted I push it a little hard into place and no problem.

Yes, yes. Lamy makes millions of pens. It is perfectly reasonable to assume some of us are going to get models from different production runs that may have slightly different tolerances.

The fact that Lamy makes millions of pens is no excuse for producing batches with even small differences.

The cap issue has been known since the Aion was released. See this review from Goldspot at 02:25 or so

And others have noted this single design flaw is what makes the Aion a junk pen in their opinion. Sigh. I really like mine, rattles and all. Since these companies about the rattling cap go back to the pen's introduction days and it has not been corrected in recent production runs, it is, after all, what one must now call a feature.

This is Lamy's Aion, not the Dialog, not the Imporium , not the 2000. I do not have a problem with slightly funky $50-75 pens. Add an order of magnitude to the price and the next level of sophistication and, yes, I'd be demanding to talk to management about my satisfaction. If I'm ever back at the Lamy store in San Francisco I will be sure to bring my Aions with me and talk to the stafff about the sloppy caps. Meantime, I'm just going to enjoy writing with them, posted or not, because they are lovely, fit my hand well, and the nibs are great. And the colors are groovy. So, everything about these two Aions is fine with me except a detail that has sent some Lamy fans over the edge and more sophisticated pen users into fits of indignation.

The cap issue has been known since the Aion was released. See this review from Goldspot at 02:25 or so

And others have noted this single design flaw is what makes the Aion a junk pen in their opinion. Sigh. I really like mine, rattles and all. Since these companies about the rattling cap go back to the pen's introduction days and it has not been corrected in recent production runs, it is, after all, what one must now call a feature.

This is Lamy's Aion, not the Dialog, not the Imporium , not the 2000. I do not have a problem with slightly funky $50-75 pens. Add an order of magnitude to the price and the next level of sophistication and, yes, I'd be demanding to talk to management about my satisfaction. If I'm ever back at the Lamy store in San Francisco I will be sure to bring my Aions with me and talk to the stafff about the sloppy caps. Meantime, I'm just going to enjoy writing with them, posted or not, because they are lovely, fit my hand well, and the nibs are great. And the colors are groovy. So, everything about these two Aions is fine with me except a detail that has sent some Lamy fans over the edge and more sophisticated pen users into fits of indignation.

Thanks for posting this, it’s cleared up what I didn’t understand! I don’t jiggle my pens about, so I guess I just haven’t moved it in a way that creates the rattle.

Instagram @inkysloth

I would for once like to see a discussion about the Aion that doesn't devolve into complaints about cap rattle.

I would for once like to see a discussion about the Aion that doesn't devolve into complaints about cap rattle.

+1.

I have a silver one and like it. Its a great EDC pen because of the finish of the metal. I kind of wish the section was finished in the same texture as the cap and barrel, but other than that minor preference, I have no complaints. It's basically a slightly redesigned Studio in my eyes, I guess I didn't have high expectations, LOL. I like it.

It's not so much the rattle that bothers me...in fact I haven't noticed the rattle. I have noticed how loose the caps fit when capped. On one of mine it's quite loose- rotating freely. On another it's just a little loose, and on the third it caps firmly. So not super consistent. I still really dig these pens. Definitely getting the green one when it comes out...

True that. Aion fans get a bit defensive (don't we all get defensive about our pen choices?)

The Aion is a great pen for me. Fits my hand, I like the texture of the section, the finish and colors are exactly what I wanted in my Lamy collection, and the clip works in my Quiver pen holder. The barrel screws onto the body with some of the more precisely machined threads I have ever seen. Posted, it gets a bit top heavy but where else would I keep the cap? The nib is standard Lamy superior quality.

I'd like to say I'm starting a new collection of Lamy products but I won't buy another Aion unless the color is spectacular or obnoxious.

• 1 month later...

Since I don't post, there will be no rattling about the cap.

I gave a test drive to the Aion, at the shop and immediately loved and bought the Blue limited edition.

My first Safari and Studio were also blue.

I started journaling with the Aion, the grip felt too wide and it was tiring, so I switched to the Studio and Safari/Vista for that activity.

I was very afraid, I had made a mistake buying it.

Now, on force isolation, I tried the Aion again, but changed the way I hold it.

It is so perfectly balanced that I emptied the converter on the first writing session, then immediately switched to a Lamy cartridge to write even more.

My Vista and Safari, even my Studio are getting some rest time.

It is really a beautiful and useful pen with a lot of class, I am looking forward to Lamy offering more limited edition colors for the Aion.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The blue aion has consistently been inked since I got it. Its really grown on me.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 5 months later...

I recently bought a red Lamy Aion. I had first seen the pen a couple of years ago but it seemed "too simple" to me at the moment. Now, after examining and using it, the pen is really growing on me. Maybe I would prefer it a tad thinner, just 1 mm in diameter. Maybe the grip portion could be slightly rougher, for better grip.

I do like the finish of the material, quite tactile. I also like the slightly-redesigned nib, and it writes perfectly. The rattle does not bother me, at least not yet.

As for other colors, now I am thinking of buying a blue one. Not the black, it looks too black to me. I guess that, depending of sales, Lamy would be introducing new colors on a regular basis, as they do with other pens.

A dark purple would be really nice, like the one in the Safari, or the purple in the Al-Star. Or a dark orange colour (¿bronze?). We'll see.

And please, please, please, Lamy, if you read me, sell them with a 1,1 stub and/or an OB nib, in the new nib design. A pen of this size favours a big nib.