The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Battle Of Italians: Montegrappa Vs. Leonardo

montegrappa leonardo fountain pens italian

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ssata

ssata

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 18:13

At the risk of sounding like SBRE Brown...I'm interested in a written Shootout of the Italians! I'd like to hear from people who have tried both the Montegrappa pens (especially the Elmo) and the Leonardo Officina Furore, both with steel nibs. I am keen to give myself incentive to finish a book proposal, and a lovely new pen awaiting my future might do the trick. 

https://www.gouletpe...=30719087771691

https://goldspot.com...edium-steel-nib

https://pen-venture....ef604aa17&_ss=r

I've got an average sized woman's hand (a 7+), and a history of tendon issues, so I prefer thick grips, though not heavy pens, with wet nibs and lots of ink capacity. (Current favs are Ranga ebonite in the 3 (although my other Rangas are bone dry), Opus 88 demonstrator and any of my 6 TWSBI Ecos (if I could marry into the TWSBI family, I would). I do not like thin or heavy metal pens (ejected all Jinhao's.) 

I love italic nibs, but might opt for a bold. 

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Edited by ssata, 07 January 2020 - 18:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 18:35

there are many very different Montegrappa pens, some are really nice, I have a few, but if you are talking of the new Elmo, regretfully that model (which I do not own) is out from start for me, due to the relevant step down barrel to section.

I hold pens quite high up and that step would immediately be under my fingers... (you may hold your pens differently).

Ref. Leonardo, they are very nice pens, if you are comparing with the Ranga 3 the Leonardo Momento zero standard size should be fine.

You have many finishes to choose from too.

The steel nib is good in my experience, I enjoy broader nibs and their B is very smooth and a tad bouncy too.

The Furore, if you prefer the sigar shape, is essentially the same pen (section and body) with differently shaped ends.

Since the barrel tapers you feel a slight difference in the hand between the two models, but I really like both.

The section is somewhat oddly shaped (when compared to the straight section of the Ranga 3) but I find it comfortable, and I'm usually put off by oddly shaped sections.

In terms of weight both (Furore and Momento) are reasonably light pens (the Ranga 3 is probably slightly lighter being ebonite), not heavy surely.

The Momento Grande is considerably heavier although well balanced.

Look for the Leonardo thread, you'll see many of their offerings shown.

#3 ssata

ssata

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 20:07

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind analysis.

#4 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 22:41

happy to share my experience,

I'm actually quite a fan of Ranga pens too and own quite a number.

It surprises me you mention your other Rangas are dry, most of mine have generous flow, but I do like broad nibs.

What other Ranga do you own, what nibs do they mount, are they converter pens?

It might be that your nib tines are a bit too tight.

Regarding the Leonardo Furore, the Blue Emerald is a fantastic colour, I have one too! You would not go wrong on this one...

fpn_1568142763__p1180470-3_leonardo_furo

#5 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,931 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 23:31

I have two Leonardo Momento zero's and really like them. I didn't think I would like the odd shaped section but it's comfortable. I'm interested to hear how the Elmo compares. I've been thinking about getting one of them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, leonardo, fountain pens, italian

Sponsored Content

|