• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cengiz

• A Smug Dill

• awa54

• clear1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum pens tend to have relatively wide gaps mostly in my experience.

(I don't like that, though.)

Edited by clear1

Is the gap between the tines normal or bit much?

Shouldn't you judge whether the gap between the tines is "bit much" by whether it allows or stops the nib from performing its intended function, instead of making an arbitrary assessment by visual inspection without inking and writing with the pen to test it functionally?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Shouldn't you judge whether the gap between the tines is "bit much" by whether it allows or stops the nib from performing its intended function, instead of making an arbitrary assessment by visual inspection without inking and writing with the pen to test it functionally?

Of course I have tried it with diffferent types of ink. It writes poorly on clairefontaine and Rhodia notebooks. On normal photocopy paper it writes acceptable. So I thought maybe the nib has a physical problem. Do you have platinum century fountain pen?

Do you have platinum century fountain pen?

Several, including a 100th anniversary commemorative limited edition "The Prime" in sterling silver.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Several, including a 100th anniversary commemorative limited edition "The Prime" in sterling silver.

How is your 100th anniversary commemorative limited edition The Prime in sterling silver and the other platinums nib tines? Did you check the tines before?

I don't have any Medium nibs for my Platinum #3776 pens; it's just not a nib width I'd order, unless that's the only non-option for a particular limited edition, and I haven't encountered that scenario ever.

The only Platinum #3776 nibs I have/had issues with are Soft (SF and SM) nibs. The 14K gold F nibs all work wonderfully out-of-the-box, so there is no need for me to check or adjust the tine gap on any of them.

My current production #3776 "Gathered" variant has similar tine gap to yours, it's also a medium and writes a reliably wet line on paper ranging from Rhodia to generic copy paper, that result has been had with Sailor, Pilot and Birmingham Pens inks.

It does suffer from hard starts after a few days of not being used, but I attribute that to a poor cap seal, which shouldn't be the case with a screw cap Century.

David-

So many restoration projects...

• 2 weeks later...
I think this is a relevant question even before inking a pen, especially since many sellers won't accept a return after it has been inked.

This tine gap seems a little wider compared to the 11 or so 3776 Century pens I've owned, though I would consider it on the wide side of normal. (More often I find the 3776 Century tines to be too narrow -- even to the point of touching rather tightly, sometimes, so at least you don't have that problem.) It's possible the pen will write just fine and you might even like the smooth, wet flow it will likely have.

Based on that gap I would expect it to write fairly wet, especially with a Japanese ink. You may find certain inks that are known to be more dry to perform well in this pen. Are you going to use a shimmering ink in this pen? If so, you may find that gap to be helpful as some shimmering inks don't perform well in Japanese nibs where the tine gap is very narrow.

As long as the tine gap is wider at the breather hole than it is at the tip then your nib should flow. Be sure to check the pen from the side to make sure the nib is in full contact all the way to the tip of the feed.

Have you tried the pen yet? How does it write? Do you like it?

Edited by JunkyardSam

I have seen a few 'new' Platinum3776 pens recently and realised the same issue. older 3776 had gaps between tines very close together. for me, a huge gap is a problem.

why?

lack of sensitivity. but this can also be grind-dependent. it can feel the same as baby's bottom but not, which means the nib will not put down ink onto paper when in contact with paper. this can result in skips.

but

heavy writing pressure, super flowy inks and/or absorbent papers can solve this problem. but heavy writing pressure is not my style.

the effect is magnified by broader nib widths - not that fine nib widths are immune to this problem.

then

due to lack of sensitivity, the big gaps may not work very well with inks that are less eager to flow. this will result in skipping.

if

the inner tines are very rounded, then the gap might not result in a rough/scratchy writing sensation. but might result in skipping.

but

if the inner tines are sharp, then such a big gap will result in a scratchy/rough writing sensation because the gap will expose the sharp inner tines to the paper.

visual inspection is very important, and should not be neglected, especially when sellers do not allow pens to be inked for exchange/refund. If the gap can be captured by camera at this distance (as shown by op), it is big.

• 2 years later...

I have this exact problem with the same pen and a broad nib. So I would say the question regarding this issue is definitely justified. My pen is the newer nib (flat top).

I have had many pens with flow issues I have eventually solved them all, however with this pen, as the gap is so wide and the gap in the feed so narrow (and deep), I presumed it could be a contact issue or ink is drying at the point of contact between feed and the nib's surface. I am using a Platinum ink cartridge so whatever issues I am having it should not be down to the ink.  If I shake the pen, obviously it will eventually start and run wet, but if I leave it for a day capped and sealed, the ink will run back up the feed and there will be a tiny bit of ink between the nib tip but a gap from just behind the tip all the way up the nib. This tell me there is an issue with their broad nibs and the tine gap. Open to any suggestions on a solution. I now basically don't use the pen out of frustration and honestly will think twice about such a purchase in future.

Issues like this are one reason you might want to either have a  Nibmeister on speed dial, or develop your own nib tuning skillset.

Not that I find it acceptable in concept that I should receive non-functional pens when buying new mid to high end models, but the reality is that it happens occasionally and returns are a PITA...

David-

So many restoration projects...