The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1947 Parker Vacumatic Jr Flex (If The Ideal Pen Exist, I May Have Found Mine)

1947 parker vacumatic jr flex

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 16:21

What makes this hobby interesting to me is variety. A pen for every mood. Rotation. Admiration of each pen’s qualities as a writer. Appreciation of design philosophies. Etc. There’s never been a clear favourite that stands out above all others. Until now. Possibly (the day is young).

fpn_1577980721__b6ef8d24-e444-4ed1-8117-

Two weeks ago, I received two vintage pens: an Esterbrook SJ with 9550 EF nib and this: a 1947 Parker Vacumatic Jr with flex nib. Both pens have been lovingly restored by RonZ. I fell for the Vacumatic Jr like a ton of bricks:

-it improves my handwriting

-it fits my hand like a glove, posted as well as unposted

-it’s small enough to comfortably fit in a shirt pocket

-the material feels lovely to the touch

-it allows me to write in a variety of styles and makes me appear a better writer than I actually am in each of those styles

-it holds plenty of ink (a necessity with a wet pen like this)

-the feel of the nib on paper is heavenly: it’s not glassy smooth, it’s very tactile, think Sailor and you’ll get the idea. 

fpn_1577981289__1f7ac121-bb9c-4a37-9ef7-

^—Such a wonderful nib!

fpn_1577981360__11a44f86-d16e-4605-88a8-

At first glance the pen appears to be totally black, but it isn’t. In direct daylight or proper artificial light there is a pattern to be seen in the material.

fpn_1577981954__2b63a877-f94a-49fc-9b08-

The lighter parts are translucent, so basically the barrel is translucent and I can see how much there is left inside the pen. Gotta love it.

I’m not big on Parker. My only other Parker is a 51 from the fifties that I rarely use because the nib is a big, fat M-verging-on-B while I prefer EF (anybody have a nice EF lying around for a Parker 51?). But this little Vacumatic Jr... wow. Just wow.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 16:54

~ TheDutchGuy:

From your detailed description it's an exceptional fountain pen.

Thank you for the text, the images, and the handwriting sample.

You're well equipped for writing in 2020.

Tom K.

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:44

I'm a sucker for the stacked celluloid versions.

I have a green and brown model. one's quite flexible, the other is firm and fine.

Both write wonderfully. 

The only pen that pulls off the stacked celluloid better is the visconti divina metropolitan.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:34

Both write wonderfully. 

I'll bet. I'd expected a good pen, but not that it would be this good. Basically I bought it to prevent myself from being tempted to buy a new MB 149 flex, a pen which was calling my name but costs way more than I should ever want to spend on a pen.

The only pen that pulls off the stacked celluloid better is the visconti divina metropolitan.

That's a very distinctive pen, but a bit too, well, um, gaudy for me. And too expensive.

#5 WLSpec

WLSpec

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 16:13

Awesome pen! Thanks for sharing

-WLSpec

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 23:28

That's a very distinctive pen, but a bit too, well, um, gaudy for me. And too expensive.

also I would tell you to never buy one in general because ink gets caught between the section and its sleeve, discoloring it.

I have to dab silicone grease around the mouth whenever I ink it because I don't want that to happen.

And the clip misaligns on the body.

But I'm never. EVER. selling it.

It was just one of those things I saw and immediately decided was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. As a pen, it is comfortable and writes well, but is generally pretty awful. But as a work of art, I adore it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1947, parker, vacumatic jr, flex

Sponsored Content

|