The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New To Mb Seeking Advice

montblanc ink

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Solitaire100

Solitaire100

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 23:37

I have just purchased by first MB FP and about to purchase a couple more (Im afraid Ive caught the FP bug). I work in a profession where its common to mark up documents with red ink. This may be a dumb question, but how do most of you handle this? Do you have a designated red FP? I would prefer to avoid changing the ink color in each pen and instead just assign an ink color to each FP and stick with it. Is this common? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 23:44

Ah, great question!  I have enough pens that I when one's ink is all gone I replace it with another pen and a different ink.  I also use red a lot, but I have different red inks and so switch them up as well. I also tend to put in an ink that resembles the color the the pen. Only black and gray pens, according to my rules, can have any ink, not just black. Some of us, such as me, are quite silly about this kind of stuff...

But that doesn't answer your question.  If you do not want to rinse out and clean your pen every time you refill it, keep the same ink in each pen.  Then you only have to clean about every 6 months or so.  

Since you are just starting, I suggest you get different inks (some beautiful choices for red!) and try them out, whether with the one pen you have or the other ones you are inevitably going to get.

Welcome to FPN and the fountain pen world!

Erick

Edited by langere, 01 January 2020 - 23:44.

Waterman Hemisphere "M" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Moonman M600S "F" nib running Leonardo Officina Blue

Sailor Professional Gear Manyo "H-MF" nib running Waterman Green

#3 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 23:48

... Do you have a designated red FP? I would prefer to avoid changing the ink color in each pen and instead just assign an ink color to each FP and stick with it....

Definitely yes for red inks; red seems to take forever to flush.  I have a red Snorkel that is always loaded with a dark red ink, so I don't bother filling any other pens with red.

#4 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 00:15

Yeah, I've always got a red ink pen, somewhere. It changes from time to time, but there's always at least one.

Currently I have a Sheaffer Triumph Tuckaway and a MB 334½ in red (or reds).

Enjoy the ride, you're in for a lot of fun!

#5 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:42

I have just purchased by first MB FP and about to purchase a couple more (Im afraid Ive caught the FP bug). I work in a profession where its common to mark up documents with red ink. This may be a dumb question, but how do most of you handle this? Do you have a designated red FP? I would prefer to avoid changing the ink color in each pen and instead just assign an ink color to each FP and stick with it. Is this common? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~ ab100:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network!

With a Montblanc fountain pen 2020 is sure to be a productive writing year for you.

There is generally a pen inked in red ink on my writing desk.

As to which pen that might be, it changes throughout the year.

There are often several pens with various shades of red.

At present a 1970s Sheaffer black and chrome Cartridge Pen is on my writing desk, inked in Montblanc Burgundy Red.

If it's ever comfortable and convenient, others in Fountain Pen Network would welcome a self-introduction in the Introductions Forum.

Tom K.

#6 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:46

Ah, great question!  I have enough pens that I when one's ink is all gone I replace it with another pen and a different ink.  I also use red a lot, but I have different red inks and so switch them up as well. I also tend to put in an ink that resembles the color the the pen. Only black and gray pens, according to my rules, can have any ink, not just black. Some of us, such as me, are quite silly about this kind of stuff...

But that doesn't answer your question.  If you do not want to rinse out and clean your pen every time you refill it, keep the same ink in each pen.  Then you only have to clean about every 6 months or so.  

Since you are just starting, I suggest you get different inks (some beautiful choices for red!) and try them out, whether with the one pen you have or the other ones you are inevitably going to get.

Welcome to FPN and the fountain pen world!

Erick

~ langere:

What a delightful post!

Although I don't match pens with inks, I do use a wide variety of inks, including reds.

Last night I flushed and cleaned quite a few pens so as to begin 2020 with fresh pen and ink combinations.

Like you, as pens run out of ink, I flush and ink with other colors.

Thank you for this post.

Tom K.

#7 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:51

Yeah, I've always got a red ink pen, somewhere. It changes from time to time, but there's always at least one.

~ CS388:

After reading your comment above I thought about my own case.

From the beginning of my fountain pen odyssey, there's been a pen with red ink on my writing desk.

My first visit to a Montblanc boutique (in Beijing) was in search of red ink as what I had was an old bottle of Royal Blue.

As it happened, the only bottle of red ink they had was Alfred Hitchcock, so that's what went home with me.

Tom K.

#8 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:59

I too use a variety of ink colors, and there is always at least one red in my rotation.  

Most of the time, I don't match ink colors to pen colors like many people do.  

But if I am doing a lot of marking in red, I have two pens, one which is  red and the other which is pink, that I will fill with a red (Stipula Calamo Dark Red)  and pink ink (either Rohrer & Klinger Solferino or Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji).  These two pens are great for doing markups. Matched with the right ink, these pens work flawlessly on any paper.  

I only have a Montblanc LeGrand at present, and because it is one of my favorite pens, it is almost always filled with one of about 6 different blue inks.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#9 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:14

Do you have a designated red FP? I would prefer to avoid changing the ink color in each pen and instead just assign an ink color to each FP and stick with it. Is this common? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The practice of carrying multiple pens in each colour was common enough back in FP's heyday that many companies sold matching sets of 2 FPs, perhaps also a propelling pencil. Nurses predominantly (some even had a 4th pen-lookalike thermometer), accountants perhaps, were target market afaik.

These days I prefer Pilot Coleto multi pen :)

#10 Zdenek

Zdenek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 13:05

... I would prefer to avoid changing the ink color in each pen and instead just assign an ink color to each FP and stick with it. Is this common? ...

It is my current practice - the particular pen(s) is/are filled with the particular ink. So, my three pens are fuelled by Royal Blue, the remaining four are filled with Corn Poppy red, Irish Green, Diamond Blue, and Permanent Grey. 

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” W. Churchill

#11 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 14:14

I'm mostly a blue-black or gray person, but I also keep at least one EF nib'd pen with red and one with a gold or brown (think KWZ Honey and Lie de The).  Use those for Bible margin notes and such... the blues and grays for everything else, in nibs up to O3B.

Enjoy the hobby!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#12 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,845 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 14:37

I currently have seven pens, all inked, each with a different colour/hue. Colours are Blue, Red, Grey, Golden-Yellow-Brownish-Orange and Black. Several hues of each.

Only one pen (for now) is dedicated to a particular colour/hue (Blue-ish).

Flushing a pen is easy enough; for me.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#13 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:12

It is my current practice - the particular pen(s) is/are filled with the particular ink. So, my three pens are fuelled by Royal Blue, the remaining four are filled with Corn Poppy red, Irish Green, Diamond Blue, and Permanent Grey. 

~ Zdenek:

I've never heard of many older Montblanc inks.

Was the Diamond Blue ink you mentioned above offered many years ago?

Tom K.

#14 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:16

I'm mostly a blue-black or gray person, but I also keep at least one EF nib'd pen with red and one with a gold or brown (think KWZ Honey and Lie de The).  Use those for Bible margin notes and such... the blues and grays for everything else, in nibs up to O3B.

~ BillH:

Is it possible to fall head over heels in love with an ink?

Ever since first writing with Pilot Iroshizoku Kiri-same, I'm eager to find excuses to write with it.

The soft grey reminds me of the best pencil leads of my childhood, you know where.

Tom K.

#15 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:21

Most of the time, I don't match ink colors to pen colors like many people do.  

But if I am doing a lot of marking in red, I have two pens, one which is  red and the other which is pink...

~ DrDebG:

Like you, I don't match inks with pens.

What powerfully struck me was your mention of regularly using a pink ink.

I'd never owned any pink inks until a couple of months ago when I acquired a bottle of Montblanc Ladies Pearl.

The pink tone shows so well that it's useful for marking manuscripts without seeming excessively shrill, in a visual sense, as certain reds might seem.

I'd wondered if any others did the same. Thanks to your post, now I know.

Tom K.

#16 Zdenek

Zdenek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:32

~ Zdenek:

I've never heard of many older Montblanc inks.

Was the Diamond Blue ink you mentioned above offered many years ago?

Tom K.

Diamond blue ink was LE in 2012. It was reviewed on this forum: http://www.fountainp...rstuck-diamond/.

A nice survey of MB special inks you can find here: http://kmpn.blogspot.com.

Edited by Zdenek, 02 January 2020 - 17:37.

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” W. Churchill

#17 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 18:43

~ CS388:

After reading your comment above I thought about my own case.

From the beginning of my fountain pen odyssey, there's been a pen with red ink on my writing desk.

My first visit to a Montblanc boutique (in Beijing) was in search of red ink as what I had was an old bottle of Royal Blue.

As it happened, the only bottle of red ink they had was Alfred Hitchcock, so that's what went home with me.

Tom K.

Very nice.

Our experiences have been somewhat opposite:

I cannot count the number of Montblanc boutiques I have been into and asked for a bottle of Hitchcock ink!

In the year of its release, I was touring the UK and Europe and it became a 'thing' that I would call into a boutique and ask for Hitchcock, in every new location we visited!

I still do go in and  ask, if I find a boutique I've never visited, before.

And yet it is one ink I have never managed to attain! (Dare I say "yet"?)

Best wishes, CS

Edited by CS388, 02 January 2020 - 18:44.

#18 Scylax

Scylax

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 19:17

I definitely have designated pens for the two colours I use, though my second is usually pink instead of red. It's much easier not to have to worry about cross-contamination or obsessive cleaning, and it makes everything much more comfortable I think - no thought needed - that's the 'red pen'. Have fun with your MBs :)

#19 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 00:05

Usually for marking up documents, definitely a change in pen. A pilot vanishing point (or Boheme in MB) with a simple retractable mechanism may work well here.

I tend to suggest carts for red pens. Easier to flush!
In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#20 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:56

~ BillH:

Is it possible to fall head over heels in love with an ink?

Ever since first writing with Pilot Iroshizoku Kiri-same, I'm eager to find excuses to write with it.

The soft grey reminds me of the best pencil leads of my childhood, you know where.

Tom K.

It's one of my very favorites too Tom.  It's in one of my pens on the desk now, the M800 Brown in fact.  I like the shade of it so much that some time back I made a passable copy with de Atramentis document inks to get an ink I could watercolor wash over.  But that's another story ;)  

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, ink

Sponsored Content

|