What Pens Are You Using Today 2020

PenBuyer1796

fpn_1600884396__monteverde_rodeo_drive_w

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does the pen feel in the hand?

Hefty, but not more so than, say, the Aurora 88 Sigaro. Comfortable. The finish on the barrel is not glossy but slightly textured; that's a plus in my book. The glossy metal section doesn't bother me here, even though it isn't generally my preference. The smooth ring-shaped bulge above the external section thread can be felt, the way I grip the pen to write, but it's a damn sight better than a sharp step-down such as on the Pilot MR or the Diplomat Aero in terms of comfort.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Waterman Laureat II fine, red and black swirly lacquer, Montblanc Midnight Blue ink.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The smooth ring-shaped bulge above the external section thread can be felt, the way I grip the pen to write, but it's a damn sight better than a sharp step-down such as on the Pilot MR or the Diplomat Aero in terms of comfort.

Thanks for this bit of feedback. I am attracted to the overall shape of the Diplomat Aero (when capped), but then I look at the step-down, and I do wonder a little just how (un)comfortable it is likely to be in use.

Main pens for everyday use:

Fountain: Pelikan M800 (M)

Rollerbal/Finelinerl: Montblanc StarWalker Fineliner

Ballpoint: Monami 153 Black & White (Both Colors)

Went a little overboard again. I'll work my way back down to 2-4 for my EDC.

fpn_1600966982__img_7993.jpg

Lovely, lovely carry set! Classic and contemporary, and all great models. I like every pen shown for different reasons.

Among other things, it looks to me like another endorsement of the Edison Collier, which has been forever on my "nice to have" list" but for whatever reason has not yet entered my collection, and I have been lusting after a classic burgundy MB for a while, but that red Sailor Realo looks darn good and could very well satisfy my lust for something burgundy and gold.

P.S. What size is that Pelikan? The Stresemann black/greys look stunning in the lighting you used.

Left to right: Namiki Falcon with De Atramentis Violet Document ink, Pilot MYU with De Atramentis Document Brown, Eversharp Symphony with Namiki Blue.

20200924_161146.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I try to only ever have two inked at any one time.

Today the two pens are:

Pelikan M205F - inked with Pure Pens ‘Celtic Sea’ (albeit now ‘running on fumes’).

Pelikan M805F - inked with Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite (also starting to run low).

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Lovely, lovely carry set! Classic and contemporary, and all great models. I like every pen shown for different reasons.

Among other things, it looks to me like another endorsement of the Edison Collier, which has been forever on my "nice to have" list" but for whatever reason has not yet entered my collection, and I have been lusting after a classic burgundy MB for a while, but that red Sailor Realo looks darn good and could very well satisfy my lust for something burgundy and gold.

P.S. What size is that Pelikan? The Stresemann black/greys look stunning in the lighting you used.

Thanks! The Collier is a great pen, and Brian Gray offers stand up customer service. The pen is light weight, beautifully finished and I opted for the medium 18k nib which has a nice spring to it. I've got three of their pens and will certainly buy more down the road.

As for the sailor, if I could do it again I'd get the same colour combo, but I'd see if I could get it in a c/c rather than piston. Which I believe did or does exist. It's hands-down the hardest pen of my collection to clean and it doesn't see a ton of use because I know how difficult it's going to be when I want to retire it for a while.

I need to do some research there because if I can sell this one and get the same pen with a converter, it's a done deal.

The Pelikan is an M805 because I prefer silver trim, but I'm using the medium nib from my M800 because I like a two tone nib. Go figure. It was a hard choice to make between the blue M805 and the Stresemann, but I already have a handful of blue pens and I thought the grey stripes would look dignified. I'm happy with my decision!

Edited by bemon

Today, so far, it's been the light grey Pilot Decimo, F nib, with Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa, and the black Parker 61, M? nib, with J. Herbin Violett Pensee.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For me today, it was

Pelikan M205 red, F, 4001 Brilliant Black

Pelikan M600 violet, B, 4001 Violet

MB Thomas Mann, (M?), MB Homer Blue

(Oh, and a K600 violet ballpoint with a fine black Pelikan refill, if that counts as a pen 😃)

fpn_1601059820__a_tale_of_two_stubs.jpg

Still writing daily with my Pilot Custom Black Stripe. One with a medium nib, inked with Sailor Yonaga and another with a fine nib that has Sailor Yodaki for a little flair! The pandemic has allowed me to focus on these fine writers!