The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook 9460

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 21:26

Just bought this nib for $8. It will be the first medium nib I've acquired. Not sure which pen to try it out in first. Do any forum members have experience with this nib. 

BTW, Esterbrook lovers, I carried the 'transitional" j today and it performed so well. Hard to believe a early a mid 1940's pen could perform so well and so simply. 

Attached Images

• 9460c.jpg
  • 9460 Nib.jpg
  • 9460b.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 21:55

According to the Esterbrook nib chart this was designed for making carbon copies so I'd expect it to be a little stiff. Looks like it will write a nice italic line.

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#3 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 23:00

According to the Esterbrook nib chart this was designed for making carbon copies so I'd expect it to be a little stiff. Looks like it will write a nice italic line.

I've got a 9555 that is nice for writing in small places, but with a very fine point. I thought a wide nib might be fun. 

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 23:38

Just bought this nib for $8. It will be the first medium nib I've acquired. Not sure which pen to try it out in first. Do any forum members have experience with this nib. 

BTW, Esterbrook lovers, I carried the 'transitional" j today and it performed so well. Hard to believe a early a mid 1940's pen could perform so well and so simply. 

Raising me hand..I do...A smooth writin' manifold medium{ish} nib.....

When time permits..Estycollector {EC} howabout a photograph and or scan of your pen..Ink?

Enjoy your new first medium nib...Hooyah!

Fred

#5 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:13

Raising me hand..I do...A smooth writin' manifold medium{ish} nib.....

When time permits..Estycollector {EC} howabout a photograph and or scan of your pen..Ink?

Enjoy your new first medium nib...Hooyah!

Fred

Of course and thank you for asking. :)

Attached Images

• Trans.jpg

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:38

fpn_1577846240__2129.jpg

Fred

Say good night  Gracie..........................

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:24

Goodnight Gracie
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:19

fpn_1577846240__2129.jpg

Fred

Say good night  Gracie..........................

Reminds me of my 2556 nibs which can vary from fine to medium. Thank you. I'll have to keep my eye out of one of those Falcon nibs. :)

#9 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:51

I love both the 9460 and 9461 nibs.  As a lefty, I'm more partial to a firm, smooth feel.  Both these nibs are workhorse nibs, similar to what the 9668 is like.

#10 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:52

Reminds me of my 2556 nibs which can vary from fine to medium. Thank you. I'll have to keep my eye out of one of those Falcon nibs. :)

I have a bunch of the 2442 nibs.  PM me if you're interested.

#11 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 21:07

I have a bunch of the 2442 nibs.  PM me if you're interested.

PM sent, sir. :)

#12 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,950 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 19:17

The 460 dip nib was the workhorse, medium, "manifold" nib. The 461 was the less-common fine version. Manifold refers to an early form of carbon paper where you would use a very thin sheet of "manifold paper" on top. It was kind of like later "onion skin" paper for typewriters. The thinner top sheet allowed you to exert maximum force to make the copies through the carbon paper. You needed a very stiff nib to do this with a dip pen, and so you had "Manifold" pens specially marketed for the job.  

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#13 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 22:33

The 460 dip nib was the workhorse, medium, "manifold" nib. The 461 was the less-common fine version. Manifold refers to an early form of carbon paper where you would use a very thin sheet of "manifold paper" on top. It was kind of like later "onion skin" paper for typewriters. The thinner top sheet allowed you to exert maximum force to make the copies through the carbon paper. You needed a very stiff nib to do this with a dip pen, and so you had "Manifold" pens specially marketed for the job.  

Thank you for responding and providing the history of the 9460. :)

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 22:33

Wow.  Other than that being being a Tranny, it looks remarkably similar to an Estie with a 9460 nib that I passed on over the weekend at a place in Alliance, OH (it's probably still there, because I don't know if the place is open on Sundays, and I was there mid-afternoon on Saturday).

​Didn't get it because I already have a 9460 nib.  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 22:38

The nib arrived. I am thinking of putting it into a Blue Dollar that is in soon to be shipped. My other restoration have nice working nibs installed. 

#16 Estycollector

Estycollector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 22:41

Wow.  Other than that being being a Tranny, it looks remarkably similar to an Estie with a 9460 nib that I passed on over the weekend at a place in Alliance, OH (it's probably still there, because I don't know if the place is open on Sundays, and I was there mid-afternoon on Saturday).

​Didn't get it because I already have a 9460 nib.  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm like you. The Blue Dollar pen I bought has a 9550. I have several of those nibs. I plan to restore this one and use the 9460. 

Sponsored Content

|