The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Smells Strange

ink bottle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sjpens12

sjpens12

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 19:27

I just opened my bottle of Lamy Black ink I bought two years ago. I have been using it since, and is currently in my Pilot Metropolitan.

But it smells really bad, and I'm worried that something has happened to the ink. The smell is somewhat like cut grass.

The converter in my Metro does not have that smell, but the bottle does.

Anyone know what I should do? 

-SJ

Currently Inked Pens:
Lamy Al-Star <F> | Pilot Metropolitan <1.0 stub> | Parker Vector <M> | Camlin Elegante <F> | Jinhao X750 <M Architect> | TWSBI Eco <EF> | Conklin Duraflex Freedom <Omniflex> | Pilot Vanishing Point <M>|TWSBI Eco <B>||

Sponsored Content

#2 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 19:45

If that is not the smell it used to be, then it's gone bad in some way and best to be discarded.

I don't have that ink, so don't know its normal smell, but whether it's food, cosmetics or ink: if it's changed colour, odour and/or texture, it has to go.

#3 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 19:56

Don't use Lamy ink so I have no idea what it should smell like. Having said that I doubt it's supposed to smell like grass.

My approach to inexpensive expendables is: when in doubt throw it out. And give the pen/converter a thorough cleaning before introducing it to another bottle.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#4 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:44

fpn_1577778268__img_5631.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#5 dennis_f

dennis_f

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 21:06

My one year old bottle of Lamy black has no odour whatsoever.  And I don't recall any of my past bottles having any odour. 

My current Lamy inks include green, blue, blue-black, black, obsidian (the crystal line), and pink, and I just double checked to confirm that none of them have an odour.

If it were mine I wouldn't use it, and I would give my pens a good cleaning. 

Even if it hasn't "gone bad" (so to speak), if the scent offends you every time you use it, why don't you just throw it away...

#6 sjpens12

sjpens12

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 21:32

I ended up dumping the ink. I'd rather not deal with that smell in my pens whenever I uncap them, as happened to my TWSBI.

-SJ

Currently Inked Pens:
Lamy Al-Star <F> | Pilot Metropolitan <1.0 stub> | Parker Vector <M> | Camlin Elegante <F> | Jinhao X750 <M Architect> | TWSBI Eco <EF> | Conklin Duraflex Freedom <Omniflex> | Pilot Vanishing Point <M>|TWSBI Eco <B>||

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, bottle

Sponsored Content

|