Hello From Sydney Australia

Timelybehaviour05

Hello all,

The name is Dan. I have been thinking about the hobby of fountain pens for some time now and finally got myself 2 pens.

My main hesitation was that Im a lefty...... thats right. I was worried about smudge etc.after using my pens a few times I found that all the worrying wasnt warranted.

I have been collecting for about a month and have a Lamy safari (red) and a Parker IM. I prefer the feel of the Parker when I write as the Lamy puts out too much ink for my liking. I have purchased a converter for the Parker and will be getting (as soon as the stores open again) a bottle of the Japanese pilot ink YU YAKE. Its the orange in the range and I love the colour. Kind of an autumn feel to it. If I like the ink Ill end up staying with that brand and collect.

I also collect watches and am an automotive photographer. Love my watches and love shooting cars on and off the race track.

Well, pleased to meet you all.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timelybehaviour05

• tamiya

• ThomasB

• AntiqueApprentice

Welcome from an antipodean Mexican... hope the smokes not too bad up there.

We're on uber bushfire alert too on this 43degC forecasted day.

Strange - Lamy feeds usually pretty dry, at least before I start tuning. What ink? Just the original blue or black cartridge? Try something dryer maybe... like Pelikan 4001 or Edelstein, maybe Sheaffer Skrip.

I find Yuyake a bit pale & yellowy... IMHO Fuyugaki gives me more punch and makes it a more practical ink :)

Jeez... pens, watches, cameras, cars, bikes, gadgets, toys, retro gaming... sounds familiar!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello all,

The name is Dan. I have been thinking about the hobby of fountain pens for some time now and finally got myself 2 pens.

My main hesitation was that Im a lefty...... thats right. I was worried about smudge etc.after using my pens a few times I found that all the worrying wasnt warranted.

I have been collecting for about a month and have a Lamy safari (red) and a Parker IM. I prefer the feel of the Parker when I write as the Lamy puts out too much ink for my liking. I have purchased a converter for the Parker and will be getting (as soon as the stores open again) a bottle of the Japanese pilot ink YU YAKE. Its the orange in the range and I love the colour. Kind of an autumn feel to it. If I like the ink Ill end up staying with that brand and collect.

I also collect watches and am an automotive photographer. Love my watches and love shooting cars on and off the race track.

Well, pleased to meet you all.

~ Timelybehaviour05:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network!

Yu-yake is an ink which looks great from any sized nib.

My original Lamy Safari laid down quite a bit of ink. Switching to an EF nib resolved that issue.

Happy Writing in 2020!

Tom K.

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome from an antipodean Mexican... hope the smokes not too bad up there.

We're on uber bushfire alert too on this 43degC forecasted day.

Strange - Lamy feeds usually pretty dry, at least before I start tuning. What ink? Just the original blue or black cartridge? Try something dryer maybe... like Pelikan 4001 or Edelstein, maybe Sheaffer Skrip.

I find Yuyake a bit pale & yellowy... IMHO Fuyugaki gives me more punch and makes it a more practical ink :)

Jeez... pens, watches, cameras, cars, bikes, gadgets, toys, retro gaming... sounds familiar!

Hi mate,

Yeah the fire is really bad here, the worst Sydney has ever seen. We are having a week of around 40degC. The fire fighters are in a bad way from the sheer heat of the day let alone the fire.

The Lamy puts out heaps of ink!!!! It has a medium nib with standard blue ink cartridge. The nib wasnt seated properly when I got it but I pulled it out and reseated it. It was pouring ink out before I did this, now its just really wet.

I was looking at the Fuyugaki as well. I have watched many vids and looked at heaps of photos of the Yu Yake. My worry is it will be too pale.

I have been published in a few magazines in regards to my photography so thats a good paying hobby.

Watches are a passion. I have always wanted a tag heuer Monaco calibre 11. Just recently was able to Aquire one. I have had a Rolex oyster date, omega seamaster professional 300m, speedmaster triple date, Tudor blackbay, tag heuer Monaco calibre 11 and 17, tag heuer aquaracer cal16, hamilton khaki, omega F300htz. Im sure there has been more but they arent coming to mind. Oh yeah a seiko 6105 8110.

Edited by Timelybehaviour05

~ Timelybehaviour05:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network!

Yu-yake is an ink which looks great from any sized nib.

My original Lamy Safari laid down quite a bit of ink. Switching to an EF nib resolved that issue.

Happy Writing in 2020!

Tom K.

Thanks for the welcome. I plan on using it in the Parker IM with a medium nib. This should put out enough ink to make the Yu Yake seem dark.

I was thinking about changing the nib to a fine on the Lamy as well. Good call, now I will be doing it. I’ll get the ink first though....

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

Thank you for the welcome. Write on hehehehehe I saw why you did there...

re Iroshizuku, no better way than to try yourself - you must go find your local Iroshizuku Testing Stand :D

C5-H9jkUwAE7LHp.jpg

Supposedly Pilot Oz brought only 6 of these into the country and entrusted them to their favourite retailers in 2017. They're brilliant, must still be out there doing the rounds somewhere today.

Watches are a passion. I have always wanted a tag heuer Monaco calibre 11. Just recently was able to Aquire one. I have had a Rolex oyster date, omega seamaster professional 300m, speedmaster triple date, Tudor blackbay, tag heuer Monaco calibre 11 and 17, tag heuer aquaracer cal16, hamilton khaki, omega F300htz. Im sure there has been more but they arent coming to mind. Oh yeah a seiko 6105 8110.

Whoa you're really all-in!

Haha my regulars are old Tudor OysterPrinces with ETAs inside; I need them small though as the latest lot of 'Bays are way too chunky for my girly wrist. I also like my geeky old rubber Casios. Inbetween those are the Seikos... everybody should have a Seiko! Love the 7002... it's comfortable to wear + its design idiosyncrasy of not being able to be crown wound.

Wanna get into learning how to service/oilchange these things too... one day :)

re Iroshizuku, no better way than to try yourself - you must go find your local Iroshizuku Testing Stand :D

C5-H9jkUwAE7LHp.jpg

Supposedly Pilot Oz brought only 6 of these into the country and entrusted them to their favourite retailers in 2017. They're brilliant, must still be out there doing the rounds somewhere today.

Whoa you're really all-in!

Haha my regulars are old Tudor OysterPrinces with ETAs inside; I need them small though as the latest lot of 'Bays are way too chunky for my girly wrist. I also like my geeky old rubber Casios. Inbetween those are the Seikos... everybody should have a Seiko! Love the 7002... it's comfortable to wear + its design idiosyncrasy of not being able to be crown wound.

Wanna get into learning how to service/oilchange these things too... one day :)

the oyster princes are a great watch. One of my favs was the Rolex oysterdate the 6694. It was small 34mm but wore bigger. It was a mechanical wind and was gorgeous. But it was a step taken to trade up to the cal 11.

Welcome to the forum Dan, I’m just north of you.

Cheers mate.

Words flowing from the soul and conveyed to paper, require the touch of a fountain pens soft carress.Distinct and individual like a lovers touch.

Welcome and I am new here as well. Like you I have a couple of watches. Mine are Hamilton Rail Road watches. Sorry about the weather and fires.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

the oyster princes are a great watch. One of my favs was the Rolex oysterdate the 6694. It was small 34mm but wore bigger. It was a mechanical wind and was gorgeous. But it was a step taken to trade up to the cal 11.

I might have the Tudor sister to that 6694 :) it's a ~1966 Oyster Prince 7929 "Jumbo" where the crystal is 34mm but the case is upsized to 20mm lugs (same per typical 36mm Oysters). Suspect might've been influenced by the Tudor Sub 7928.

Modern Monacos are pretty big aren't they?

Was up in KL at start of this year and wandered into a popup TAG event, they were launching the Gulf colours Monaco. They had a 991 base model Carrera tarted up into a Gulf GT3 racecar (meh)... but the museum pieces on display were real cool iconic units. They showed the 1963 Carrera, 1969 Monaco & 2004 Monaco V4 (haha all not as large as current lookalikes)... more amazing they showed landmark Heuer timing devices such as MicroSplit, Mikrograph, RingMaster.

Hello and welcome from a fellow newbie and fellow Australian

Enjoy. It's a great hobby and seems like a very good place to be

Cheers

AA

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill