Noodler's Trip Tail - Add A #6 Nib?

NumberSix

I love everything about the Triple Tail. The largeness. The clearness. The non-smellyness. The plunger filling system. The 308 cartridges I can use.

Everything, that is, but the nib itself. It's just too darn much for me. It's finicky, which is bad enough. But even when it does work after heat setting, etc -- and even with an ink as simple as 4001 Royal Blue or Waterman Serenity Blue -- it's like writing with a paint brush. And that's before flexing!

Before I return it for a partial refund, I thought I would see if anyone has managed to trade it out for a #6 nib? And it not a basic #6, then something else? I saw someone asked Goulet, and the answer was: "Maybe".

Have you done it? How'd it go?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Honeybadgers

• effrafax

• timotheap

I spent a long time grinding on my triple tail and i got it to a really, really nice cursive italic that isn't too wet until its flexed.

I would say itd be worthwhile sending to a nibmeister. For $40, it can be turned into a pretty incredible nib that behaves really well if you're into double broad italics.

I'm at work right now, but I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't fit a normal #6 nib. Could also just pop in a normal noodlers ahab feed (it has the breather tube) to guarantee it'll work. Or just lose the breather tube and grab a nib/feed from fountainpenrevolution. It should fit.

I dont want to ink it to test, but the feed usually doesn't usually make a nib too wet unless its flexy. So a jowo nib shouldn't have problems.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Ooh, good thinking about the feed! It sounds like Im going to have to just bite the bullet, order a nib (and feed), and see what happens. I could pull the feed and flex from one of my Ahab pens, but Ive got those working the way I like them and hate to mess with anything. LOL

Goulets return window is pretty long. So as long as I dont mess up the original feed and nib, I should be fine while I try this.

Also a JoWo #6 nib is pretty universal. Just get one and if it doesn't work in the triple tail, it's a perfectly great upgrade for (and now an excuse to buy) a PenBBS pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Just FYI: the FPR feed is too short. I tried.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

There is surprisingly little by way of reviews on this pen. I have one on the way after reading a little bit about it on Reddit, which I always consider a dangerous forum. It always feels like I'm reading the threads of excitable teenagers.

There is surprisingly little by way of reviews on this pen. I have one on the way after reading a little bit about it on Reddit, which I always consider a dangerous forum. It always feels like I'm reading the threads of excitable teenagers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbOw2-lyZQ&t=2s

Demo video of mine with a tuned nib.

It's a big, nicely made pen. The nib is pretty unimpressive by itself, but once tuned/ground, it's a super flexy stunner.

Also a JoWo #6 nib is pretty universal. Just get one and if it doesn't work in the triple tail, it's a perfectly great upgrade for (and now an excuse to buy) a PenBBS pen.

Youre no help!

Seriously, though, its a good idea. Ive been meaning to try something from PenBBS anyway. Or I could just put it into one of my Ahabs...

Edited by NumberSix

I think it may have sold out really fast when it launched a few months ago, and then only recently did it become available again. I do agree theres just not very much about it anywhere.

And I also agree with you about Reddit, where the pen talk tends to focus on young people getting their first pens.It also feeds a dangerous-to-my-wallet mindset of encouraging people to buy all the things.

It's a big, nicely made pen. The nib is pretty unimpressive by itself, but once tuned/ground, it's a super flexy stunner.

I watched your video. If I could make it write like that, I would definitely keep the flex nib going!

I will have to keep a nibmeister in mind for down the road. In the meantime, a new nib and feed are a cheap enough experiment. I will place an order this week for a F and a M and see how it goes.

Update: I remembered this morning that I had a $3 Noodler's non-flex nib in the closet. So I went ahead and pulled an Ahab feed and that nib and put them on the 3T.

Experiment failed. :angry:

Leaked all over the place out the edges of the housing, and I couldn't get it to behave. I tried the nib and same feed on an Ahab, and it all worked as expected. (That is, no leaks, and crappy writing.)

Are you sure the feed was all the way in? I would not expect it to fail that way. That sounds like an air leak and is usually unrelated to the nib

Edited by Honeybadgers

If you look carefully at the inside of the section with the nib and feed removed, you'll see that there is an indentation that the nib fits into. The triple-tail nib and feed only fit properly with the nib in that indentation. If you use another feed that is not so tight, and the nib is not aligned correctly, ink will definitely leak out through that gap. That's what mine's like, anyway.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

I tried a sample pen at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September. I liked the nib, but I didn't like the fact that it was on a demonstrator pen. Does anyone know if the nib and feed fit on other models of Noodler's pens, such as the Konrads? Or, barring that, if Noodler's is going to come out with the Triple-tail on a non-demonstrator model? I meant to ask Nathan Tardif that when I got to the front of the line -- but ended up talking about the Harold's Hearse ink instead.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

Update: I remembered this morning that I had a $3 Noodler's non-flex nib in the closet. So I went ahead and pulled an Ahab feed and that nib and put them on the 3T.

Experiment failed. :angry:

Leaked all over the place out the edges of the housing, and I couldn't get it to behave. I tried the nib and same feed on an Ahab, and it all worked as expected. (That is, no leaks, and crappy writing.)

I'm surprised - I can swap Ahab flex, Noodler's non-flex and FPR flex as much as I want.

FPR flex on the Triple Tail works a treat - haven't tried the Ahab flex (or have I?? can't remember) but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised - I can swap Ahab flex, Noodler's non-flex and FPR flex as much as I want.

FPR flex on the Triple Tail works a treat - haven't tried the Ahab flex (or have I?? can't remember) but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Maybe my Noodler's non-flex was just a crappy individual nib. It never really worked right.

When you put the FPR flex nib on the 3-Tail, are you using the stock Noodler's 3T feed with it?

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I tried a sample pen at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September. I liked the nib, but I didn't like the fact that it was on a demonstrator pen. Does anyone know if the nib and feed fit on other models of Noodler's pens, such as the Konrads? Or, barring that, if Noodler's is going to come out with the Triple-tail on a non-demonstrator model? I meant to ask Nathan Tardif that when I got to the front of the line -- but ended up talking about the Harold's Hearse ink instead.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I would certainly love to know about this, too. It would be great know if one could swap out the triple tail nib and install it in an Ahab Ivory Darkness or Crow model...

• 10 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 3:08 AM, Honeybadgers said:

So, now that time has passed, how do you like it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY