The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Aurora 88K Section Leak

aurora aurora88 88k

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 19:47

I am very familiar with the leak the 88s have from the hole in the barrel which means it is time to replace the seals. But what is the potential cause of an 88K section leak? There was ink all over the section and the cap was also loaded with it(I had it in my 2-pen case laying horizontal. Once I got the outer barrel off I discovered the barrel leaking from the hole in it.

*Back story- I recently obtained an Aurora Aquila which is a glorified 88k. Last night I was going to write with it and when I pulled the cap off ink poured down the outer barrel.  had ink in it as well as the inner barrel. The ink was coming from the hole in the inner barrel which is what caused me to say the seals need to be replaced.

However, this morning I pulled the cap off again, after having the pen "nib up" all night and there was a repeat of ink pouring down the barrel. This time it was a watered down version of another color of ink residue that was in the pen when it arrived. Being that I did not disassemble the pen to completely clean it in the ultrasonic I know sometimes old inks can tend to "hide" in nib units. I think it had been dry and finally solidified. But this time there was no leak of ink from the hole in the inner barrel like last night.

Perhaps a vacuum was created that sucked ink out of the nib unit when I pulled the cap off?

Sponsored Content

#2 awa54

awa54

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:05

I don't know Auroras at all, but does it have an inner cap insert?  if so, ink from the previous incident might have gotten between it and the cap propper and re-hydrated some old ink that was sequestered there?

David-

So many restoration projects...

#3 RayCornett

RayCornett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:42

I don't know Auroras at all, but does it have an inner cap insert?  if so, ink from the previous incident might have gotten between it and the cap propper and re-hydrated some old ink that was sequestered there?

Turns out it was most likely this DIY repair from a previous owner.

Attached Images

• 2019-12-30 11.40.04-2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, aurora88, 88k

Sponsored Content

|