What Is Your Favorite Ink?

HoneyCake

Currently in looooooove with Diamine Eau de Nil, such a wonderful wonderful ink. <3

On that note, I do have high expectations for the limited edition non-shimmer Diamine Alexandrite (still haven't gotten to cracking that bottle open).

Other ones... high marks for Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and Turquoise. Lamy Pacific Blue/Turquoise is also fab.

Then there is the vintage Montblanc Blue-Black that came in the old style shoe bottle. From hard to impossible to find nowadays as it was discontinued about ten years ago but then again it doesn't deviate that much from the Pelikan 4001 BB (it is more black/grey IIRC) so there is that...

Sailor Souboku is also great.

So yeah, those are my staple/daily/can't live without inks of the moment. :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ENewton

• inkstainedruth

• RJS

• Karmachanic

It's funny -- I really like North African Violet (although I haven't used it in a while). But I couldn't stand Rose Tendresse. It had this sort of neon undertone that just grated on my nerves. Thought I'd really like the color, but didn't.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes, Rose Tendresse does tend to be on the neon side. It's sort of a 1980s hot pink. :-)

While I may prefer a softer or more muted shade of pink to wear or decorate my home, I tend to avoid soft, muted or watered-down appearing inks. I like shades that are bold, bright and vivid.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

It varies by day.

Today it is diamine imperial blue.

Mine varies too. Today I don't have a favorite. Everything is tied for last place.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Today, it is Birmingham Pens Southside Park Fern Moss, which reminds me of the grey-green jadeite found on some Big Sur beaches. Its smoky muted color is perfect for a frozen January and is lovely in my wet noodle Waterman 52.

Tomorrow might be something else though.

I don't know if I answered this already here, but I love all the Akkerman Dutch Masters line of inks, and especially--my favorite-- is

Steenrood van Vermeer. My other favorite ink is Montblanc red Chalk, and a new discovery is Taccia Ukiyo-e Sharaku-Koiame,

and Kobe #39 Brick red. So I guess I like inks in the brick red and warm orange variety :)

edited to add: I cannot believe I forgot to say my first favorite ink: Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri

Edited by oregano

Today, it is Birmingham Pens Southside Park Fern Moss, which reminds me of the grey-green jadeite found on some Big Sur beaches. Its smoky muted color is perfect for a frozen January and is lovely in my wet noodle Waterman 52.

Tomorrow might be something else though.

~ sombrueil:

Thank you for posting such an evocative description.

Nicest phrase I've encountered in FPN in 2020.

From long ago experience, I know exactly what you mean.

That's a compelling endorsement of Southside Park Fern Moss.

Tom K.

This week, my favorite inks are Sailor Manyo Haha and Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi. I liked them so much I ordered all the rest.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

My current favourite is Diamine Graphite. It has almost no shading (which I prefer) and is dark enough to be read easily but not so dark that it looks like a weak black. It resembles closely graphite pencil strokes and exhibits a lovely pencil-like softness when dry, but has the fixedness and legibility of ink.

Other than this I tend to like blue-black inks and am currently favouring Graf v Faber Castell Midnight Blue. Again, not much shading and it dries to a not too saturated but easily read tone.

By the way, I find the Stilo & Stile website very useful for inks. They carry a wide range and show writing samples for each one with drying times and water resistance.

https://www.stiloestile.it/en/inks/bottled-inks/

My current favourite is Diamine Graphite. It has almost no shading (which I prefer) and is dark enough to be read easily but not so dark that it looks like a weak black. It resembles closely graphite pencil strokes and exhibits a lovely pencil-like softness when dry, but has the fixedness and legibility of ink.

~ MoriartyR:

Hear Hear!

Count me as another admirer of Diamine Graphite.

Thank you for your excellent summary of its qualities.

Tom K.

A long-time friend and colleague, when asking someone their favorite movie, specifies that he means the movie they watch most often. Not the one they feel has the most artistic merit, but the one they most often want to see.

Using that method, I think I can get my favorite list down to three. Today, at least. :D

The inks I tend to want in a pen and miss when I don't have them handy are:

Platinum Classic Citrus Black

Waterman Inspired Blue

Diamine Aurora Borealis

That last is my newest favorite; I love the color, the behavior, the sheen, and the moderate water resistance. After seeing reviews, I hopped over the "sample" phase and picked up a 30ml bottle. I can see that an 80ml bottle is in my relatively near future.

noodler Baystate Blue - for it's smell

yes, BSB's unique vapour release gets up in my nose and it causes a reaction in my upper palate

favourite, and most bottles run through the last decade or so is easily Noodler's Blue

Other than this I tend to like blue-black inks and am currently favouring Graf v Faber Castell Midnight Blue. Again, not much shading and it dries to a not too saturated but easily read tone.

By the way, I find the Stilo & Stile website very useful for inks. They carry a wide range and show writing samples for each one with drying times and water resistance.

https://www.stiloestile.it/en/inks/bottled-inks/

~ MoriartyR:

Hear Hear!

Count me as another admirer of Diamine Graphite.

Thank you for your excellent summary of its qualities.

Tom K.

Thanks for the endorsement. I am at present seeking a nice grey ink, and I generally like Diamine products. I will give the Graphite a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a green phase right now. Started with Herbin Vert Empire, gone through Iroshizuku Hoteison, then OS James Joyce and finally Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu. Tried Miruai and Edelstein Olivine, but did not strike my chords. Want to try Noodler's Zhivago. My fav among these is Iroshizuku Hoteison, will prolly get a full bottle soon.

Anything Diamine

And I actually have a bottle of Fahrney's store brand "ever write" velvet black ink that is awesome! The only black ink I use

Right now, it's Monteverde Horizon Blue. Great performance, and the color really does remind me of the blue of the sky at its horizon, dark, rich, and luminous.

Right now, it's Monteverde Horizon Blue. Great performance, and the color really does remind me of the blue of the sky at its horizon, dark, rich, and luminous.

Hi Trentin,

I'm anxiously awaiting a bottle of this stuff; I've been told it is the closest match to PPS known to man. :D

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.