Noodler's Bottles Overfilled

Vunter

Anyone else have issues with Noodler's being overfilled. Sure maybe it's on me not to spill, however when I'm opening an ink bottle like I'm doing neurosurgery I'd like to think it's not just me.

I open the bottle gently and slowly and ink squirts all over the place. Why must they do this, id rather they not fill it so full. I guess in the future I'm going to just syringe a bunch out. Is this happening to other people? Also any tips on opening a bottle that's overfilled or should I just wear a hazmat suit and prepare for inkegeddon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• JonSzanto

• Vunter

• txomsy

Nathan definitely fills his bottles to the top. He believes in providing that little extra value for the money.

I think after one's, er, exciting first experience with a Noodler's bottle, one learns. My first bottle was Baystate Blue. :yikes:

Needless to say, I spilled quite a bit less ink, if any, the second time around with a new bottle (Noodler's Black).

Nothing new. Just one of the reasons why I don't like and/or don't buy the stuff.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Got my first Noodlers (BSB) recently, thanks to the community I knew it was filled to the brim. The trick is to find a leveled surface and do the filling inside a plastic bag for safety reasons. Not a single drop.

I've never had an issue or spilled a drop from my new Noodler's bottles. Forewarned is forearmed, as is commonly said. Personally, I am grateful for the "most value for your money" philosophy.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I'm with Lapis on this. Just another reason for me to avoid the brand. I think this is just another of Nathan's bad jokes.

I've never had an issue or spilled a drop from my new Noodler's bottles. Forewarned is forearmed, as is commonly said. Personally, I am grateful for the "most value for your money" philosophy.

Id rather they fill it like 1/8inch or 3.2mm from the top. I'm gonna end up just sucking the ink out and throwing it away anyways.

For what it's worth....I never had a freakin' problemo opening any bottle of ink....

Of course this is my personal experience and I'm not ham fisted....So your mileage may

vary...if it hasn't already......................................................................

Fred

Honest as the day is long..Carl..who works for *Rick Blaine..No freakin' joke

Redactin' * For those who don't know "Here's looking at you kid." That Rick*

Edited by Freddy

Yup, he's been doing it for just about forever, and FPN members have been discussing it for almost as long.

Edited by Charles Rice

I'm gonna end up just sucking the ink out and throwing it away anyways.

That's entirely up to you. I prefer to write with the ink I buy

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I've never seen this as a problem.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Never spilled a drop, either. I do still suffer from the paranoid pessimism acquired from many years of flying helicopters so I still open the bottle for the first time in a shallow plastic tray that used to be part of the packaging for something or other. Then I use a syringe to transfer 5 mL to a sample vial and fill pens from the vial. Nathan worked really hard to top off that bottle and I would hate to contaminate it with something (there's that darn pp again).

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I think this is just another of Nathan's bad jokes.

Less air space, the less propensity to "burp" under temperature fluctuations, no? :)

If it were an egg, less air = fresher!

Consider -- if there's no air space, there is no chance for the ink to oxidize in storage :unsure:

This explanation makes most sense to me. Combined with the fact that, in the history of ink being produced in bottles, no other manufacturer has had to resort to this approach, which suggests Nathan's inks are particularly volatile/unstable and this is a crude hack. On brand, as the kids say.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I've addressed this many times over the years: his stated intent is value to the customer. Read up, on many sites, how many times that 'value' has been spilled or otherwise wasted. It's as absurd a reasoning as anyone could rightly come up with.

All Mr. T. would need to do is reduce the volume of ink by a ml or 3, reduce the price by the necessary amount of pennies, and the customer would still get the ink/$$ ratio that Mr. T. could be proud of, but no more of this insane necessity for pathological attention to the uncapping of the bottle. Not to mention anyone who has a big nib that needs to take a piston-powered drink out of the bottle.

No, this one is easy: it's a blunder and he never, ever had the backbone to reverse course. How ironic, the amount of ink wasted in the service of value-added packaging.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It can be messy... if your first fill is a piston filler and you dip it in... if you just fill a syringe to fill an empty cartridge you are on the safe side. I like Nathan but I keep having trouble ( Bleed through or feathering... oh or slow dry time) with a lot of his inks.

Welcome Nadine! Just viewed your introduction post..

Here in a beautiful area of lakes & seasons, to be successful for any given day one assesses what’s “out there” and pairs that with necessary gear... Similar situation with writing equipment, pen ink paper. Nathan (& others) offer a variety. It’s been interesting observing Pelikan ink works well in super humid regions, where it simply stalls skippy useless dry here. Discovering our own “bests” combinations is part of the fun.

“a spit of ink at high cost” has never been a charge leveled at NT ;-)

is there a Meyer-Briggs rating of overly cautious vs wild abandon ink uncapping???

exactly