The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodler's Bottles Overfilled

ink noodlers

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 20:35

Anyone else have issues with Noodler's being overfilled. Sure maybe it's on me not to spill, however when I'm opening an ink bottle like I'm doing neurosurgery I'd like to think it's not just me.

I open the bottle gently and slowly and ink squirts all over the place. Why must they do this, id rather they not fill it so full. I guess in the future I'm going to just syringe a bunch out. Is this happening to other people? Also any tips on opening a bottle that's overfilled or should I just wear a hazmat suit and prepare for inkegeddon

Sponsored Content

#2 NumberSix

NumberSix

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 20:59

Nathan definitely fills his bottles to the top. He believes in providing that little extra value for the money. 

I think after one's, er, exciting first experience with a Noodler's bottle, one learns. My first bottle was Baystate Blue.  :yikes:

Needless to say, I spilled quite a bit less ink, if any, the second time around with a new bottle (Noodler's Black). 

#3 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 22:34

Nothing new. Just one of the reasons why I don't like and/or don't buy the stuff.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#4 grmbrk

grmbrk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 23:10

Got my first Noodlers (BSB) recently, thanks to the community I knew it was filled to the brim. The trick is to find a leveled surface and do the filling inside a plastic bag for safety reasons. Not a single drop.

#5 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 23:49

I've never had an issue or spilled a drop from my new Noodler's bottles. Forewarned is forearmed, as is commonly said. Personally, I am grateful for the "most value for your money" philosophy. 

ἔχω ψυχια καὶ μεγαλοκακοτης ἐιμί

#6 DonM

DonM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 00:35

I'm with Lapis on this.  Just another reason for me to avoid the brand.  I think this is just another of Nathan's bad jokes.

#7 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 00:38

I've never had an issue or spilled a drop from my new Noodler's bottles. Forewarned is forearmed, as is commonly said. Personally, I am grateful for the "most value for your money" philosophy. 

Id rather they fill it like 1/8inch or 3.2mm from the top.  I'm gonna end up just sucking the ink out and throwing it away anyways.

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 00:58

For what it's worth....I never had a freakin' problemo opening any bottle of ink....

Of course this is my personal experience and I'm not ham fisted....So your mileage may

vary...if it hasn't already......................................................................

Fred

Honest  as the day is long..Carl..who works for *Rick Blaine..No freakin' joke

Redactin' * For those who don't know "Here's looking at you kid." That Rick*

Edited by Freddy, 28 December 2019 - 01:03.

#9 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:01

Yup, he's been doing it for just about forever, and FPN members have been discussing it for almost as long.

Edited by Charles Rice, 28 December 2019 - 04:08.

#10 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:29

I'm gonna end up just sucking the ink out and throwing it away anyways.

That's entirely up to you. I prefer to write with the ink I buy

ἔχω ψυχια καὶ μεγαλοκακοτης ἐιμί

#11 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:57

Consider -- if there's no air space, there is no chance for the ink to oxidize in storage :unsure:

#12 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,351 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:08

I've never seen this as a problem.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#13 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 04:15

Never spilled a drop, either.  I do still suffer from the paranoid pessimism acquired from many years of flying helicopters so I still open the bottle for the first time in a shallow plastic tray that used to be part of the packaging for something or other.  Then I use a syringe to transfer 5 mL to a sample vial and fill pens from the vial.  Nathan worked really hard to top off that bottle and I would hate to contaminate it with something (there's that darn pp again).

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#14 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 04:28

I think this is just another of Nathan's bad jokes.

Less air space, the less propensity to "burp" under temperature fluctuations, no? :)

If it were an egg, less air = fresher!

#15 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:03

It's foolish to open any bottle of ink carelessly.

James

#16 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:53

Consider -- if there's no air space, there is no chance for the ink to oxidize in storage :unsure:

This explanation makes most sense to me. Combined with the fact that, in the history of ink being produced in bottles, no other manufacturer has had to resort to this approach, which suggests Nathan's inks are particularly volatile/unstable and this is a crude hack. On brand, as the kids say.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#17 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:23

I've addressed this many times over the years: his stated intent is value to the customer. Read up, on many sites, how many times that 'value' has been spilled or otherwise wasted. It's as absurd a reasoning as anyone could rightly come up with.

All Mr. T. would need to do is reduce the volume of ink by a ml or 3, reduce the price by the necessary amount of pennies, and the customer would still get the ink/$$ ratio that Mr. T. could be proud of, but no more of this insane necessity for pathological attention to the uncapping of the bottle. Not to mention anyone who has a big nib that needs to take a piston-powered drink out of the bottle.

No, this one is easy: it's a blunder and he never, ever had the backbone to reverse course. How ironic, the amount of ink wasted in the service of value-added packaging.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#18 NadinefromGermany

NadinefromGermany

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 13:58

It can be messy... if your first fill is a piston filler and you dip it in... if you just fill a syringe to fill an empty cartridge you are on the safe side. I like Nathan but I keep having trouble ( Bleed through or feathering... oh or slow dry time) with a lot of his inks. 

#19 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,944 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 14:37

Welcome Nadine!  Just viewed your introduction post..

Here in a beautiful area of lakes & seasons,  to be successful for any given day one assesses what’s “out there” and pairs that with necessary gear... Similar situation with writing equipment, pen ink paper.  Nathan (& others) offer a variety.  It’s been interesting observing Pelikan ink works well in super humid regions, where it simply stalls skippy useless dry here. Discovering our own “bests” combinations is part of the fun.

“a spit of ink at high cost” has never been a charge leveled at NT ;-)

is there a Meyer-Briggs rating of overly cautious vs wild abandon ink uncapping???

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#20 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 14:54

exactly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, noodlers

Sponsored Content

|