Finally Made It!

NumberSix

Hi, there. I have been lurking this forum for months now, and I am thrilled to finally be a member. :D

My FP Story is probably pretty typical. I started Bullet Journaling. I began upgrading my ballpoints to Pilot G2s as I watched more and more YouTube videos. Then it occurred to me that fountain pens were the thing. First I ordered some Pilot Varsity pens from Goulet. The lines felt so thick! But I liked the way it felt, so I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan and some Rhodia paper.

Then Fountain Pen Day happened, and I was off and running. I ordered some Lamy pens that day. Then as the days rolled on, I ordered some Noodler's pens. Bottles of ink. Samples of ink. More Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Snagged a gorgeous stainless steel Parker 45 Flighter from eBay. Started saving up for a Pilot Custom 823. Bought and enjoyed some expensive pens (3776 - on two different occasions) and cheaper pens (TWSBI Vac Mini and Mini ALR, a second Lamy LX, Kaweco Sport, etc) and returned them all because too much money at one time. Bought BSB and made a mess. Hated BSB. Started loving BSB.

You know the drill. . .

I have now given away my four Safaris, an Ahab and Nib Creaper, and the Metro, as well as a bunch of inks. I have my Parker Flighter (Serenity Blue) and a Lamy LX (Platinum Dye Black) as my "grown up" daily drivers -- with my Pilot 823 fund in place. I have a Triple-Tail and two clear Ahabs on the way to be my "fun ink" pens (I immediately starting missing my Noodler's pens when I gave them away).

I am considering starting a monthly savings plan in January towards a 149.

I feel like I have been through years of collecting in less than six months. But it's been good. I have made some dumb mistakes, learned a lot, and had a great time. And the biggest struggle is keeping control of my spending. :yikes:

I look forward to participating in the community, and I want to thank everyone for all the help and advice you've already given me as I've skulked about the place.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• rebcabin

• inkstainedruth

• Estycollector

Hi, there. I have been lurking this forum for months now, and I am thrilled to finally be a member. :D

My FP Story is probably pretty typical. I started Bullet Journaling. I began upgrading my ballpoints to Pilot G2s as I watched more and more YouTube videos. Then it occurred to me that fountain pens were the thing. First I ordered some Pilot Varsity pens from Goulet. The lines felt so thick! But I liked the way it felt, so I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan and some Rhodia paper.

Then Fountain Pen Day happened, and I was off and running. I ordered some Lamy pens that day. Then as the days rolled on, I ordered some Noodler's pens. Bottles of ink. Samples of ink. More Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Snagged a gorgeous stainless steel Parker 45 Flighter from eBay. Started saving up for a Pilot Custom 823. Bought and enjoyed some expensive pens (3776 - on two different occasions) and cheaper pens (TWSBI Vac Mini and Mini ALR, a second Lamy LX, Kaweco Sport, etc) and returned them all because too much money at one time. Bought BSB and made a mess. Hated BSB. Started loving BSB.

You know the drill. . .

I have now given away my four Safaris, an Ahab and Nib Creaper, and the Metro, as well as a bunch of inks. I have my Parker Flighter (Serenity Blue) and a Lamy LX (Platinum Dye Black) as my "grown up" daily drivers -- with my Pilot 823 fund in place. I have a Triple-Tail and two clear Ahabs on the way to be my "fun ink" pens (I immediately starting missing my Noodler's pens when I gave them away).

I am considering starting a monthly savings plan in January towards a 149.

I feel like I have been through years of collecting in less than six months. But it's been good. I have made some dumb mistakes, learned a lot, and had a great time. And the biggest struggle is keeping control of my spending. :yikes:

I look forward to participating in the community, and I want to thank everyone for all the help and advice you've already given me as I've skulked about the place.

~ NumberSix:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network!

Wow! What a fast-paced fountain pen odyssey you've had! Thank you for telling it in such an entertaining style.

A Montblanc 149 is truly a joy with which to write. I hope that one makes its way to your writing desk someday.

May you enjoy the friendly interactions with fountain pen friends on this site as much as I have.

Tom K.

Greetings from Pittsburgh (currently via eastern MA)! :W2FPN:

Your journey sounds somewhat similar to mine (except that in my case it wasn't bullet journaling, but doing a morning pages journal. Didn't think I'd have more than a small number of pens (hah!) or that I'd spend a lot of money on any one of them (double hah!). When I accidentally left the then current journal volume and pen (a Parker Vector) at my brother-in-law's house about 8 years ago next month and went looking for a replacement, I eventually found my way here. And the rest was history. My weakness turned out to be vintage pens, and I now have about a dozen Parker 51s, about 10 or so Vacumatics, a few 61s, six or seven 45s... and some random other models. Oh and just got my 12th or 13th Vector for Christmas (and that's JUST the Parkers...). Of course my husband tells people that I USED to collect pens but now collect ink.... :rolleyes:

I generally recommend that new people click on the "view new content" button at the top of the page when they log in (you can adjust how much/often in the sidebar on the main page). And to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum. And to NOT do what I did when I started -- to read the Parker Forum.... All of it.... Back then it was 175 PAGES of topics (now, nearly 8 years later, it's larger.... :huh:).

But I also warn new people that we are all shameless enablers here, who will happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, pen shows, sealing wax and seals, pen shows, and ephemera... (I speak from experience, because 8 years ago I never HEARD of Parker 51s... :rolleyes:).

Sounds as if you're off to a good start (while I love my expensive pens, I still use the cheaper ones (and if I can decide on a color, I know that there's another Metropolitan in my future). Of course I also scope out the weekly estate sales by me nowadays as well as antiques stores, and occasionally get lucky on pens at good prices (my best "sumgai" purchases were a Forest Green Parker 51 for two bucks at an estate sale a year ago September, and a 50¢ Parker 41 (way rarer than 51s, as it turns out), while digging through a box of mostly ballpoints at another one a few years before that.... But just last week I was using a couple of Noodler's Konrads, along with a 1947 Parker 51 Vac and the Pelikan M405 Stresemann; this week, while traveling, it's two Vectors, a Sailor Pro-Gear Slim, one of the Vacumatics, a TWSBI 580-AL, my first Pelikan (a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise), and my favorite pen -- my Plum Demi Parker 51 Aerometric.

So what inks are you currently using? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6: "what do you want?"

2: "we want information."

6: "you won't get it."

2: "by hook or by crook, we will."

I am not a number. I am a person! :D

~ NumberSix:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network!

Wow! What a fast-paced fountain pen odyssey you've had! Thank you for telling it in such an entertaining style.

A Montblanc 149 is truly a joy with which to write. I hope that one makes its way to your writing desk someday.

May you enjoy the friendly interactions with fountain pen friends on this site as much as I have.

Tom K.

Thanks for the welcome. Between here and r/fountainpens, I have definitely seen what a welcoming (and penabling) community this is!

Speaking of penabling - my wallet does not thank you for encouraging my Montblanc 149 lust!

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you!

Greetings from Pittsburgh (currently via eastern MA)! :W2FPN:

Your journey sounds somewhat similar to mine (except that in my case it wasn't bullet journaling, but doing a morning pages journal. Didn't think I'd have more than a small number of pens (hah!) or that I'd spend a lot of money on any one of them (double hah!). When I accidentally left the then current journal volume and pen (a Parker Vector) at my brother-in-law's house about 8 years ago next month and went looking for a replacement, I eventually found my way here. And the rest was history. My weakness turned out to be vintage pens, and I now have about a dozen Parker 51s, about 10 or so Vacumatics, a few 61s, six or seven 45s... and some random other models. Oh and just got my 12th or 13th Vector for Christmas (and that's JUST the Parkers...). Of course my husband tells people that I USED to collect pens but now collect ink.... :rolleyes:

I generally recommend that new people click on the "view new content" button at the top of the page when they log in (you can adjust how much/often in the sidebar on the main page). And to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum. And to NOT do what I did when I started -- to read the Parker Forum.... All of it.... Back then it was 175 PAGES of topics (now, nearly 8 years later, it's larger.... :huh:).

But I also warn new people that we are all shameless enablers here, who will happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, pen shows, sealing wax and seals, pen shows, and ephemera... (I speak from experience, because 8 years ago I never HEARD of Parker 51s... :rolleyes:).

Sounds as if you're off to a good start (while I love my expensive pens, I still use the cheaper ones (and if I can decide on a color, I know that there's another Metropolitan in my future). Of course I also scope out the weekly estate sales by me nowadays as well as antiques stores, and occasionally get lucky on pens at good prices (my best "sumgai" purchases were a Forest Green Parker 51 for two bucks at an estate sale a year ago September, and a 50¢ Parker 41 (way rarer than 51s, as it turns out), while digging through a box of mostly ballpoints at another one a few years before that.... But just last week I was using a couple of Noodler's Konrads, along with a 1947 Parker 51 Vac and the Pelikan M405 Stresemann; this week, while traveling, it's two Vectors, a Sailor Pro-Gear Slim, one of the Vacumatics, a TWSBI 580-AL, my first Pelikan (a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise), and my favorite pen -- my Plum Demi Parker 51 Aerometric.

So what inks are you currently using? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Hehe, yes, I have already learned about the penabling "features" of the online FP community. (And I am afraid I have participated. I sent my brother a few of my starter pens and some ink samples, and he immediately ordered himself a Lamy Studio - which he adores - and is planning to buy a 2K soon; I can't say FPs were on his collecting radar 90 days ago. D'oh!)

I could definitely see myself becoming a Parker collector. To go with my stainless steel Flighter, I had been eyeing a beautiful red P45 Coronet on Anderson Pens for weeks. I finally decided to pull the trigger about a month ago -- it wasn't cheap -- and it turned out they had already sold it. Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I have also lost a few eBay auctions on Parker pens.

Re inks: I bought my first rack from Goulet the other day. It holds 40 samples. I immediately put my 20 vials in there, so I am off to a good start. When my three Noodler's pens come on Monday (with three more samples - 4001 Royal Blue, Australian Roses, and Colorverse Coffee Break), I look forward to digging into all the colors I haven't tried yet. (I also have some Noodler's 308 cartridges coming from ebay)

I had been buying bottles, but I've decided for the moment to mostly focus on samples aside from a few staple Blues and Blacks.

I have enjoyed your posts as I lurked on this forum - they're entertaining and informative!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

6: "what do you want?"

2: "we want information."

6: "you won't get it."

2: "by hook or by crook, we will."

:lol:

Last summer I picked up a #2 button for when I'm second in command in the art tent at Heralds Point at Pennsic. Just because I could.... Of course, I have to remember where I put it. Sadly, I've never actually seen the entire series all the way through. They ran it a few times on PBS when I was in college, but I'd always miss a few (possibly not the same ones).

I'm going to have to sit down at some point and just binge watch the DVD set I bought years ago (to tell you when I bought it, Borders still existed as a bookstore chain. I ordered the boxed set, and discovered that the second DVD didn't load. So, even though I couldn't find the receipt, I was able to take it back to exchange it. When the new set came in, I asked the girl working that department to check them. First loaded fine in their player; second one did as well. The third one? She snapped the DVD in half getting it out of the jewel case.... So they had to order yet another set. By the time THAT set came in (and again, I had an employee test ALL of them, I no longer had a working DVD player....

Last winter one of the stations we get with FIOS played 14 of them. Not the entire series.... :o I contacted the station and got told "Oh, we didn't have time in our schedule to play the entire show. I said "Jeez -- there's ONLY 17 episodes total...." :headsmack:

Sigh. Some day....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am not a number. I am a person! :D

No, you're SUPPOSED to say "I am not a number! I am a free man!" ;)

Welcome and I am brand new myself having gotten the email that my application had been accepted.

Thank you for giving a name to the type of journalling I have been doing since never heard of a bullet journal. For me its the only type of journal that I have been able to maintain. I even take a small notebook to journal while hiking.

Like you, I got a Lamy, mine is an Al-Star. What hooked me was restoring old Esterbrooks from the 1930's forward to mid '50's.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

No, you're SUPPOSED to say "I am not a number! I am a free man!" ;)

That's what I always thought. But I feel like last time I watched "Arrival", he says the person bit when having the breakfast meeting with #2.

I guess I need to watch it again. Dang it, what a punishment. :P

Last summer I picked up a #2 button for when I'm second in command in the art tent at Heralds Point at Pennsic. Just because I could.... Of course, I have to remember where I put it. Sadly, I've never actually seen the entire series all the way through. They ran it a few times on PBS when I was in college, but I'd always miss a few (possibly not the same ones).

I'm going to have to sit down at some point and just binge watch the DVD set I bought years ago (to tell you when I bought it, Borders still existed as a bookstore chain. I ordered the boxed set, and discovered that the second DVD didn't load. So, even though I couldn't find the receipt, I was able to take it back to exchange it. When the new set came in, I asked the girl working that department to check them. First loaded fine in their player; second one did as well. The third one? She snapped the DVD in half getting it out of the jewel case.... So they had to order yet another set. By the time THAT set came in (and again, I had an employee test ALL of them, I no longer had a working DVD player....

Last winter one of the stations we get with FIOS played 14 of them. Not the entire series.... :o I contacted the station and got told "Oh, we didn't have time in our schedule to play the entire show. I said "Jeez -- there's ONLY 17 episodes total...." :headsmack:

Sigh. Some day....

Some episodes are more equal good than others, but it's all worth at least one watch through. These days, I don't watch all of them repeatedly (especially the bugnuts LSD trip 2-part finale, which has to be seen once to be not-believed). It's still on amazon prime right now, if you have that.

I'm just glad the Patrick Macnee Avengers series finally made it to the streaming sites for purchase - and at a very reasonable $9.99 for each HD season (2 thru 6).

Welcome and I am brand new myself having gotten the email that my application had been accepted.

Thank you for giving a name to the type of journalling I have been doing since never heard of a bullet journal. For me its the only type of journal that I have been able to maintain. I even take a small notebook to journal while hiking.

Like you, I got a Lamy, mine is an Al-Star. What hooked me was restoring old Esterbrooks from the 1930's forward to mid '50's.

Bullet Journaling (or "BuJo", as the community calls it) is technically a system. But it's ridiculously adaptable, by design. I really enjoy it. I also buy the basic side-stapled Clairefontaine notebooks for more free-form writing, whether journaling or nonsense such as "This pen writes really nicely with this ink." It's in that notebook where I have my internal debates about what pens to buy or not buy!

Got any favorite Esty nibs? As I think I mentioned, I have a couple of lovely J-series pens whose nibs I hate. I have been considering trying one of their medium flex nibs, but they're about the same price as the pen itself, and as I understand it don't really flex at all.

What color and nib is your Al-Star?

Sigh. Some day....

oh, the joys of DVD's. I promise not to tell you about the boxed sets I've ordered of various shows that turn out to be encoded for foreign markets, because then you'll think "a sucker is born every minute" or "a sheep ready for the shearing" or other such compliments :)

Bullet Journaling (or "BuJo", as the community calls it) is technically a system. But it's ridiculously adaptable, by design. I really enjoy it. I also buy the basic side-stapled Clairefontaine notebooks for more free-form writing, whether journaling or nonsense such as "This pen writes really nicely with this ink." It's in that notebook where I have my internal debates about what pens to buy or not buy!

Got any favorite Esty nibs? As I think I mentioned, I have a couple of lovely J-series pens whose nibs I hate. I have been considering trying one of their medium flex nibs, but they're about the same price as the pen itself, and as I understand it don't really flex at all.

What color and nib is your Al-Star?

The Lamy Al Star was a 2017 special offering in turquoise. Amazon had them for $17.

My favorite Esty nibs are 2556, but each one of them is different. I have a #9668 in a Deluxe that writes well. One of the 2556 was clogged. I used a mandolin E string to clear....LOL!! The 9550 is good for writing small as it's a posting type. The 9461 is actually a very nice general writing nib.

My journaling is part to do and part what I am studying. I am into mindful living/present living so anytime I find something I write it down.

Please do stay in touch if you decide to restore Esterbrooks.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Thanks for the welcome. Between here and r/fountainpens, I have definitely seen what a welcoming (and penabling) community this is!

Speaking of penabling - my wallet does not thank you for encouraging my Montblanc 149 lust!

Thank you!

Just to fan the flames a bit, the top of my collection is my 1973 149 medium-point, bought new for the crushing price of $44 (really, we couldn't afford it then) and used daily since then. It's currently inked with Diamine Brilliant Purple Violet. It's the only pen amongst the many I own that never, ever, ever skips or hard starts on any stroke, up or down or sideways, even when it's nearly dry. Ok, well, my Pilot Varsities also never, ever, ever skip or hard start, but they don't have the very subtle architect-y line of my 149. I've never used another 149, so I don't know whether they're all like that, or whether I'm just lucky. It wasn't till the 90's that I started collecting pens, and I was surprised at first to find that they didn't ALL have that kind of line and that flawless performance. I have other pens, now, that I would call perfect, and many that I prefer, overall, to the 149, but none quite match the 149 for that beautiful line shape and reliability. Every time I use it, it's like remembering my first kiss.