Who Gave/received Fountain Pens For Christmas?

melissa59

Indeed. I have a TipDip Imperial and a PFM II that I keep because they are gifts from my wife's mother and brother, even though neither holds enough ink for even half a page.

Odds are that the MB will be a gift to my wife at some point in the future. She tried it, and she loves it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• bemon

• melissa59

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pens are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and they’re a bit like clothes: I’d never presume to buy them for other people unless I was VERY sure they would like the item. So I threw a dinner party instead.

Pens are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and they’re a bit like clothes: I’d never presume to buy them for other people unless I was VERY sure they would like the item. So I threw a dinner party instead.

Yes, my children all pointed out to me that I was very lucky that giving gifts that were things I would have wanted myself didn't backfire this time.

A dinner party sounds lovely.

I gave each of my parents Montblanc 146 fountain pens. The paperwork sent with my mother's pen says it is from 2009 and it is a medium nib. My father's pen is from late 1970s - 1980s, medium nib. I busted my mother's fountain pen when I tried to fill it for her, so I sent it off to Montblanc for repair. Their responding letter of receipt said it might take 6-8 weeks depending on how busy they might be.

I also bought my parents a bottle of Montblanc JFK Blue-Black and Emerald Green inks.

I gave my sister a green tinted Parker Vacumatic Major with a selection of ten green inks from Goulet Pens. She gave me a handmade ballpoint pen from a friend of her and my brother-in-law. The barrel is all wood with a nautical theme to it.I bought myself a bottle of Montblanc Mystery Blue and a Col-o-ring ink testing book to record my ever expanding ink collection. Nice holiday all around!

Edited by pmitc34947

I gave each of my parents Montblanc 146 fountain pens. The paperwork sent with my mother's pen says it is from 2009 and it is a medium nib. My father's pen is from late 1970s - 1980s, medium nib. I busted my mother's fountain pen when I tried to fill it for her, so I sent it off to Montblanc for repair. Their responding letter of receipt said it might take 6-8 weeks depending on how busy they might be.

I also bought my parents a bottle of Montblanc JFK Blue-Black and Emerald Green inks.

I gave my sister a green tinted Parker Vacumatic Major with a selection of ten green inks from Goulet Pens. She gave me a handmade ballpoint pen from a friend of her and my brother-in-law. The barrel is all wood with a nautical theme to it.I bought myself a bottle of Montblanc Mystery Blue and a Col-o-ring ink testing book to record my ever expanding ink collection. Nice holiday all around!

~ pmitc34947:

Your family's fountain pen Christmas sounds terrific!

Everyone is well prepared for handwriting in 2020.

I'd be interested in seeing a bottle of Montblanc Mystery Blue, if one ever turned up.

Tom K.

My sister only uses technical pens in a very specific set of sizes, and don’t get her started on the ugly decline in the quality of Bristol paper these days. I’ve tried introducing her to fountain pens, but it’s like getting a six-year-old to try asparagus. Too much trouble.

Last year I gave three pens to my French nephews.

This year I gave myself a Garant Nilor with Jrid nib ;)

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

~ sidthecat:

Yes, one needs to be fairly certain that a fountain pen is going to a good home.

A few subtle inquiries well in advance typically establish whether or not a fountain pen or ink might be appreciated.

That said, a dinner party sounds like great fun!

Tom K.

I have offered pens to my wife but she is totally satisfied with the Pelikan 400 I gave her when she completed her PhD.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I received a new Tibaldi mod. 60 as Christmas gift from my son (the wallet was the gift from my wife).

YRoLHFR.jpg

Alfredo

I LOVE the pen. What a gift!

the Danitrio Fellowship

~ pmitc34947:

Your family's fountain pen Christmas sounds terrific!

Everyone is well prepared for handwriting in 2020.

I'd be interested in seeing a bottle of Montblanc Mystery Blue, if one ever turned up.

Tom K.

Tom,

I stand corrected, the ink is called Montblanc Midnight Blue, I confused it with Montblanc Mystery Black. :)

Peter

I received a new Tibaldi mod. 60 as Christmas gift from my son (the wallet was the gift from my wife).

YRoLHFR.jpg

Alfredo

cute pen, I was walking down town Milano with my wife for some Christmas atmosphere and stopped in front of Mazza (old fountain pen shop close by the Duomo) and spotted this in the window... I really do like the colour, reminds me of the old trasparente...

I usually get a fountain pen from myself at Christmas... I save one of my purchases for the scope and set myself the target to resist opening before it's time. It must go under the tree! This year it was a Pelikan M101N (blue grey). I swear I did not even take a peek at it before Christmas morning.

My elder son got a fountain pen when he graduated, my daughter got a roller pen when she graduated (she's not keen on fountain pens, but the roller was a nice - and it seems rare - vintage Stipula Duetto Rosso di Montalcino colour). My younger son...still needs to graduate.

Fountain pens are out of the question for Christmas (their choice, not mine), they usually want... the next phone.

My wife has threatened me NOT to gift her with a fountain pen... so I obey.

The one member of my family, or at least of my wife's family, who appreciates fountain pens, is my brother in law.

He's a couple of years older than me and has learned to write with a fountain pen and still enjoys using one.

The plan was to recover a pen belonged to my father in law (who passed away a few years ago) restore it and give it to my brother in law as a Christmas present. The plan backfired, because when I went to find a shop that would restore it (guiltily late, I admit) the shop I knew had closed (for good)!

Plan B also backfired, because the other shop able to restore the pen (a vintage Aurora 88, probably not difficult to fix the leaking piston, but I prefer to let a professional do it being a family memory), the above mentioned Mazza shop downtown, would not have it ready by Christmas...

Plan C came on, with purchase of a nice vintage Stipula pen in celluloid acetate from a pen dealer I know. The pen is probably a prototype as I have never seen one like it before.

I believe my brother in law would have liked it. Unfortunately as I was checking the pen on December 23rd evening before wrapping it up as a present, I noticed the barrel was cracked!! Yikes!
I had to think fast...

Plan D: I own two Aurora new Duocart pens. One I use, the other, uninked, I was planning to sell, but using it as replacement gift sounded like an honorable solution...

My brother in law was rather happy :)

(and the Aurora 88 option is still available for the next occasion...)

Plan D: I own two Aurora new Duocart pens. One I use, the other, uninked, I was planning to sell, but using it as replacement gift sounded like an honorable solution...

My brother in law was rather happy :)

(and the Aurora 88 option is still available for the next occasion...)

Your Plan D was similar to what I did with my son gift, he wanted a Kaweco Mechanical Pencil in brass, and I was not able to find one in a store, moreover it was too late to order one on the net, so as I resorted to gift him a '70 stickered Montblanc 146 with a F nib. He was very happy with it.

Alfredo

After Christmas, I sent my sister-in-law my Sailor (Profit-sized) Brown Marbled Mozaique, with a 14c. 0.9mm CI (by John Mottishaw). This was not a Christmas present as such, just a gift to another pen enthusiast in my family. This will be her first pen with sharp italic nib. (I have no pictures of the Brown Mozaique, but.....)

She already owns the red version of this pen series with a 0.8 mm stub.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I stand corrected, the ink is called Montblanc Midnight Blue, I confused it with Montblanc Mystery Black. :)

~ pmitc34947:

Thank you for the clarification.

Montblanc Midnight Blue has been a staple on my writing desk.

As it happened, it was one of the first inks that I ever tried.

Tom K.

Xezo Architect, blue, F nib, a gift from a friend who knows me well. She also had shipped 6 bottles of Colorverse ink (Brunch Date, Coffee Break, Walking the Dog, Anti-Matter, and 2 bottles of Warped Passages).

On Black FridayI bought myself a Opus Omar 88, clear demonstrator, 1.5 stub nib, and a bottle of Herbin Amethyste de L'Oural.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I got an amazing pen for Christmas this year! It was accompanied by a beautiful leather writers medic bag from Galen Leather too! The pen is a Waterman 5 Color band in red ripple with red stripe and red nib. Its in impeccable condition, it writes and flexes like a dream! I was truly spoiled this year. Other pens in the bag are a LAMY Safari, Waterman 52, and custom RKS L16 in Amboyna Burl with an Indy-Pen-Dance 14Kt full flex nib. -Z

Forgot to add the pic!

post-146673-0-01316700-1578668560_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ZWUM