Pelikan Pens On Amazon...

two2tone

Amazon has a UK Pelikan seller offering M400 - M1000 pens at significant discounts over B&M dealers. It does not look like they come with boxes, just the pen. Are they real Pelikans, grey market, w/o warantees, etc? Has anyone purchased a Pelikan from Amazon and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

TT

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dascott

• sansenri

• Runnin_Ute

• two2tone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not bought Pelikans from Amazon but I have purchased other fountain pen brands from Amazon sellers located in the UK. Received them in the original box with papers etc. Like other Amazon sales, use your good judgment such as checking out how long they have been around, if they specialize in pen sales and look at recent reviews. Ordering from a newbie is always a risk. Also paying with a credit card might give you some protection depending on the card you have.

Oh, one more thing, watch out for the too good to be true ads for pens that might pop up on Amazon. For example, new pens worth $500 selling for $50. Things like that are usually a scam seeking to take the money and run.

Edited by Bennett

Paying with a credit card for extra protection is a US thing and in most (I think all actually) of Europe debit is considered "safer" and most credit card rules that apply in the US actually apply to debit cards in Europe.

I have ordered Pelikans off of Amazon, sellers were Amazon as well as 2nd party (market place).

All good. No complaints.

Prices are I think cheaper for classic reasons why online shopping can be cheaper (though the trend seems to partially reverse when comparing prices in recent years).

One of the reasons why the price for Pelikans can be cheaper on Amazon is the packaging. This was noted in reviews and I have experienced it as well: they come without the box. Not always and you don't know whether you'll get a box till you get the pen, but be prepared to not get one (eg if you're planning on gifting the pen).

I have bought a new m200 for 54€. That was a really good deal. I feel like prices aren't quite as low as they used to be a couple of years ago, but can still dip quite low.

I also recently bought a green marble for 58€ in Germany after using a price comparison site.

Generally the warning for "if something seems to be too good to be true, beware", but good deals on German pens in Germany/ Europe and Japanese pens in Japan are really just good deals well worth the splurge and not a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Buying through Amazon is safe anyway, if you do get conned Amazon will return your money, regardless whether they've been the seller or whether it's been a marketplace deal.

Long story short, no need to worry, just buy it if you want to.

I did buy several Pelikan (a m800 and some m20x) from Amazon. Directly from Amazon, no marketplace. The pens had no box but they were perfect (working and without scratches or damages). So my experience is good.

I did buy several Pelikan (a m800 and some m20x) from Amazon. Directly from Amazon, no marketplace. The pens had no box but they were perfect (working and without scratches or damages). So my experience is good.

This was also my experience, BTW on Amazon it is possible to buy only the box (if you need it) separately.

Alfredo

I had a good experience shortly before Xmas. I picked up a new m101n blue/grey with EF nib for UK295, it seemed like a bargain and Amazon was the seller (it said 5 left in stock). If it was a third-party I may have been a bit reluctant but Amazon are always quick to refund in my experience. Shortly after I went back in and it said there were 4 left in stock and the price had jumped to UK461!

The pen arrived next day and is perfect with box and papers, I just haven't had time to ink it up yet...

I bought a Pelikan M1000 and a M805 on Amazon earlier this year, and paid about 300$ for each. :D The pens came in cheap cardboard boxes from the factory but that was ok for me. When I can save so much money I won't care about a fancy gift box.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a M205 and M405, when the package arrived, there was no M405. They gave a refund, and suggested I re order, but by then the price had increased by $60.

I had a good experience shortly before Xmas. I picked up a new m101n blue/grey with EF nib for UK295, it seemed like a bargain and Amazon was the seller (it said 5 left in stock). If it was a third-party I may have been a bit reluctant but Amazon are always quick to refund in my experience. Shortly after I went back in and it said there were 4 left in stock and the price had jumped to UK461!

The pen arrived next day and is perfect with box and papers, I just haven't had time to ink it up yet...

Same experience, I bought a M101N blue gray just before Xmas for 298 euro, the product was sold and delivered by Amazon. The pen arrived quickly in the full LE large box with papers and ink. Very happy, I had almost bought the same pen few days earlier from another seller at over 100 euro more... the pen is fine.

Also bought the M600 vibrant orange at discounted price sold and delivered by Amazon, this time the pen was in the small cardboard box with just the pen wrapped inside in a cellophane sleeve. Ok with me I have too many boxes anyway...

A German shop told me that the Pelikans in the cardboard box are typically those delivered in bulk to pen stores.

The pen is just fine.

I bought my M200 Cognac from a Japanese vendor through Amazon. I have had zero issues in over 4 years.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Same experience, I bought a M101N blue gray just before Xmas for 298 euro, the product was sold and delivered by Amazon. The pen arrived quickly in the full LE large box with papers and ink. Very happy, I had almost bought the same pen few days earlier from another seller at over 100 euro more... the pen is fine.

Also bought the M600 vibrant orange at discounted price sold and delivered by Amazon, this time the pen was in the small cardboard box with just the pen wrapped inside in a cellophane sleeve. Ok with me I have too many boxes anyway...

A German shop told me that the Pelikans in the cardboard box are typically those delivered in bulk to pen stores.

The pen is just fine.

Interesting to know about the boxes. The prices on Amazon tend to vary markedly by nib size (I presume priced according to stock levels). In my case EF was the cheapest but in any case a moot point as I swapped it for a vintage nib.

That vibrant orange is a lovely pen, how are you getting on with it?

Very nice pen.

I like M600s by size and the vibrant orange is a change from the regular striped colours (which I also own) at a very comparable price with the discounted price.

The nib is not fundamental on this specific pen as I own several vintage M600-M700 nibs that I like to use.

A nice modern + vintage marriage.

Pelikan should note the recurring request for M600s , and some new vibrant colours would be welcome.

Very nice pen.

I like M600s by size and the vibrant orange is a change from the regular striped colours (which I also own) at a very comparable price with the discounted price.

The nib is not fundamental on this specific pen as I own several vintage M600-M700 nibs that I like to use.

A nice modern + vintage marriage.

Pelikan should note the recurring request for M600s , and some new vibrant colours would be welcome.

Thanks, I have a m605 which I'm looking for a vintage nib for. Good to know it could also take a m700 nib.

Yes, essentially you can screw on any nib from an M200-M250-M400-M600 and the M700.

The nibs from M600-M700 are slightly longer that those from M200-M250-M400 so they do look better on a M600 size, the threading is however the same.

here is a picture to help see this

fpn_1579650662__pelikan_nibs_sizes_m150-

Yes, essentially you can screw on any nib from an M200-M250-M400-M600 and the M700.

The nibs from M600-M700 are slightly longer that those from M200-M250-M400 so they do look better on a M600 size, the threading

Not to forget that the older and more interesting 400, 400N, 400NN nibs will also fit the M600. Pre '97 M600 nibs are current M200/400 sized.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The nibs from M600-M700 are slightly longer that those from M200-M250-M400 so they do look better on a M600 size, the threading is however the same.

here is a picture to help see this

fpn_1579650662__pelikan_nibs_sizes_m150-

I am a bit of a Pelikan novice so this is very helpful, thank you :-)

Not to forget that the older and more interesting 400, 400N, 400NN nibs will also fit the M600. Pre '97 M600 nibs are current M200/400 sized.

Very helpful, thank you. I have seen some very exciting nibs on old 400NN pens!

Interesting to know about the boxes. The prices on Amazon tend to vary markedly by nib size (I presume priced according to stock levels). In my case EF was the cheapest but in any case a moot point as I swapped it for a vintage nib.

That vibrant orange is a lovely pen, how are you getting on with it?

I don't know what sets the price. I am not sure it is stock.

post-135914-0-32495100-1579690274_thumb.png

post-135914-0-66395500-1579690294_thumb.png

post-135914-0-70738800-1579690330_thumb.png

that's the price point at which I bought it 298 euro which is exactly $331 (according to Oanda converter)

since I have Prime it was also shipped free...

I ordered a B nib, but as I mentioned it was not influential as I was planning to swap it anyway.

I ordered a B so that in case in future I may be able to have it ground to CI, despite I do in any case like B nibs even considering on Pelikans they are usually rather generous.

Edited by sansenri