The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Aurora 98 Vs Gran Lusso

aurora aurora 98 aurora gran lusso gran lusso aurora gl gl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 23:57

I have seen these pens discussed a bit here but they seem to be old threads and some of them aren't getting replies to questions I have. So, I am starting a new thread on the topic.

I see various posts on here and other places about the Aurora 98GL/GL 98/GL Riserva Magica and it becomes a bit confusing on the actual model name and the difference between the 98 and the Gran Lusso. 

The ones I see called the GL model, even in a Youtube review of such a pen, have AURORA 98 on the cap lip. Mine says AURORA GL with the GL being in a type of scriptish font.

Granted, I only found out about this model with the push button hidden piston about a month or so ago. So, my research most likely just hasn't hit the right information link yet. But I would love to be led to some concrete information on the difference.

Attached Images

• 2019-12-23 18.41.31.jpg
  • CameraZOOM-20191225161237678.jpg

Edited by RayCornett, 26 December 2019 - 01:52.

Sponsored Content

#2 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:14

On fountainpen.it they mention only two models, the 98 and GL, with the latter designation for pens with “real” gold or silver rather than a simple gold plating or laminate. People might use 98GL to make clear that a GL is a 98, which it is, even though that seems not to have been Aurora's naming. They might also mistake or misrepresent a 98 as a GL by ignoring or not understanding differences in grades of gold layers.

If something labelled 98/GL turns up then I will change my view :)

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#3 RayCornett

RayCornett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:54

On fountainpen.it they mention only two models, the 98 and GL, with the latter designation for pens with “real” gold or silver rather than a simple gold plating or laminate. People might use 98GL to make clear that a GL is a 98, which it is, even though that seems not to have been Aurora's naming. They might also mistake or misrepresent a 98 as a GL by ignoring or not understanding differences in grades of gold layers.

If something labelled 98/GL turns up then I will change my view :)

Just added a macro shot of part of the cap lip imprint.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, aurora 98, aurora gran lusso, gran lusso, aurora gl, gl

Sponsored Content

|