Which Of These Best Describes You? Er Uh, Curious Fountain Pen Ink Chooser?

peroride

Whilst responding to a query on what color is Hawthorne ?

Google pitched me over to Hawthorne Yellow

delving up to the parent shows:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-families

Not sure how but if I lingered on the page, the UI would change with the query:

• Which of these best describes you? the selections were homeowner, designer, architect and some others I forgot

which seems like a decent topic for ink discussion ?! and a handy tool to boot.

Kinda similar to what the kids are doing these days with color profilers such as https://colorkuler.com/

Most of the inks I buy are less about the color and rather how reliable they are with pens in my collection.

That is a lot of black, blues, browns for the vintage and reds and purples to branch out in the moderns.

If I was hard pressed, I'd say that drab neutral family is appealing to me though the whole color family scheme seems rather vague as it is a composite of brown and gray families.

So what color family best describes you or rather your ink of appeal or preference? :happyberet:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• Tom Kellie

• Pickwick

• inkstainedruth

Aubergine, for sure. Good example namely "Aubergine" as the LE 2018 by R&K or similarly "Aubergine" by DeA. Before these both came out, I had mixed my own favorite out of Perle Noir, Grand Canyon, and Waterman Purple (1:2:5). Diamine Eclipse has of course less brown and purple in it, but I still see hints of those in it, maybe on purpose....

I first tried to create the exact color of a cloak I once saw on a Beduin woman in the good old days when I used to go scuba diving out in the Red Sea. Almost black but with a hint of purple and a half a hint of brown. In the meantime (since I don't go there anymore) the same color still comes to mind when I think of eternity.

Interestingly enough -- well okay not all that hot -- is the actual fact that DeA also once issued the same Aubergine but renamed as "Brandenburg Gate". Here's a shot (to the right of their original and still available) "Aubergine":

fpn_1577277810__dea_2x_abergine_bottles.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Blue/Black and purple close to the color inks used by fellow students who autographed my Father-in law's High School yearbook when he graduated in 1933.

I find these colors are ideal for me because I frequently write letters.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Not being on Instagram, I couldn't access that (although I did notice that they were using the Pantone matching system. As for the Benjamin Moore site, I wasn't finding the questions part, just looking at the different swatch families. For paint, it depends entirely on the use of the room I'd be painting, and (to some extent) the general decor. My house was originally built in the 1880s, so I found a book at the library on what paint/wallpaper shades would be "correct" for houses of different eras. I wouldn't normally pick a mustard yellow -- but it would be "right" for my house -- and in fact we found some wallpaper up in the attic that had mustard yellow and a very slightly blue leaning dark green (also found on the fireplace tiles) that I suspect was original to the house (without being home to actually compare the palettes I'd say that it would be somewhere between B-M O Forest Green, Sherwood Green, and Ocean Tropic). The previous owners painted EVERYTHING white -- including right over the wallpaper :angry:... probably just to put the house on the market (I can't really fault them for that, other than ruining what was nice wallpaper; my parents apparently did that in the living room of the house I lived in when I was little because the previous occupants put up this horrid jungle print wallpaper with leaves that were at least 8" long -- I've seen photos; it just screamed early 1950s and was pretty hideous looking). But the OLD wallpaper was actually nice (if we had the money we'd replace it with the really expensive wallpaper that is based on Arts & Crafts design period wallpaper). When we redid the kitchen, the walls and floor tiles are white, simply to get as much brightness into the room as possible (it's on the northeast corner of the house, and we also added a bay window to get as much afternoon light as humanly possible).

As for inks, I'm all over the map. I love blues, and blue blacks (especially ones like Edelstein Tanzanite that don't lean teal), and pinks (if they're not too pale and "girly" looking) and all sorts of purples (from red-violets through middle of the spectrum purples to some blue-violets) and a number of greys. I tend to prefer slightly yellow-leaning greens over the bright or blue-leaning greens. I like TRUE reds (fire engine, color of my first car reds) way better than burgundies or the blood-red ones, or the orange or brown-leaning ones) but I also like some of the very slight pink-leaning ones). I don't like most teals, I mostly don't like oranges, and I don't mostly like red-leaning browns. And while I have a bottle of Noodler's Bay State Blue, I don't really care that much for the color -- it leans a little purplish for my taste (I know, after having just said I like blues and purples). I have a couple of golden inks I like but I haven't found a yellow ink that was legible on the page (I'm fussy about yellow to begin with -- I can't wear the color at ALL but love bright yellow flowers and would dearly love to plant an 'Austrian Briar' rosebush (in spite of the tendency toward blackspot, and the difficulty in obtaining a true 'Austrian Briar' for anything resembling a reasonable price) -- I had a 'Persian Yellow' at one point and it bloomed once before biting the dust, and the flowers where what I'd call "Crayola Yellow" ('Austrian Briar' is the species form, with a five-petaled flower; 'Austrian Copper' is the sport that has yellow on one side of the petals and this weird bright orange-y color on the other side of them; and 'Persian Yellow' is the multi-petalled version). And I like sepia browns way better than red- or orange-leaning ones (except for Diamine Terracotta, which I do like a whole lot). I almost never use black but there are some greys I would never want to be without.

So my ink palette is all over the map.... On this trip I have pens inked up with Edelstein Smoky Quartz, original formula Sailor Sky High, vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue, vintage Quink Microfilm Black (which leans blue), Nemosine Alpha Centauri, and Straits Pens Storm Warning (a slightly greyish green ink that was one of the Central Ohio Pen Club LE inks from the Ohio Pen Show last month); and while I haven't inked up a seventh pen yet, I brought along a sample of Birmingham Inks Gunpowder Tea for "just in case".... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Depends on the color space. I tend to prefer RGB colors for their greater breadth, though reproducibility is a problem. CMYK, dwarfed though it may be, is wonderful for multiple uses. But if you're really IN to color try L*A*B.

Color group: Blues - I have rarely met a blue I didn't like. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_blue

Specific color: lapis lazuli (blue with purple overtones; can vary from deeply saturated to rare forms of semi translucent)

273px-Lapis-lazuli_hg.jpg

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

~ Delphinium.

Tom K.

While delphiniums come in variety of colors, perhaps you might like Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai, or Sailor Nioi-sumire for that soft purple leaning blue.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Amber Golden Brownish Yellows with an occasional touch of Orange

Pale low saturation Blue

For now.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

While delphiniums come in variety of colors, perhaps you might like Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai, or Sailor Nioi-sumire for that soft purple leaning blue.

~ DrDebG:

Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

I picked the color name ‘Delphinium’ from among those color names offered on the Web site which was provided.

A 15 ml. bottle of Iroshizuku Aji-sai sits on my writing desk. It will see use in early 2020.

I'll look for Sailor Shikiori Nioi-sumire ink. I was at the leading local ink source this afternoon, looking at Shikiori inks, but didn't notice Nioi-sumire.

Tom K.

~ DrDebG:

Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

I picked the color name ‘Delphinium’ from among those color names offered on the Web site which was provided.

A 15 ml. bottle of Iroshizuku Aji-sai sits on my writing desk. It will see use in early 2020.

I'll look for Sailor Shikiori Nioi-sumire ink. I was at the leading local ink source this afternoon, looking at Shikiori inks, but didn't notice Nioi-sumire.

Tom K.

Sailor Nioi-Sumire is a Jentle ink, not a Shikiori - at least it used to be. Since I don't use many Sailor inks, I haven't kept up with the changes.