The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Leonardo Music Nib

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:30

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the new Music Nib?

I've always desired one and now that my favorite pen maker

has one, I'm anxious to know is it worth pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 00:32

I'd like to know as well whether the music nib is available separately.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#3 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 06:20

Do they have a special feed ?

#4 Vicary

Vicary

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 913 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:34

So I received a pair of Leonardo Momento Grandes with music nibs for Christmas this year...and initial impressions aren't encouraging. Both pens- a Casa Della Stilografica Flame LE and a Arlecchino- have the same issue. The nibs are scratchy because the center tine is raised and the two side tines are lower. I'm not sure if that's due to the way the nib is set on the feed or what. Ink flow is good, though. But I'm a little disappointed. 

#5 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:01

So I received a pair of Leonardo Momento Grandes with music nibs for Christmas this year...and initial impressions aren't encouraging. Both pens- a Casa Della Stilografica Flame LE and a Arlecchino- have the same issue. The nibs are scratchy because the center tine is raised and the two side tines are lower. I'm not sure if that's due to the way the nib is set on the feed or what. Ink flow is good, though. But I'm a little disappointed. 

That is disappointing. I had high hopes for this nib.

On a different note ... I have a Casa Della Stilografica Flame LE

in the regular size and just love the material!

#6 Vicary

Vicary

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 913 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 19:32

That is disappointing. I had high hopes for this nib.

On a different note ... I have a Casa Della Stilografica Flame LE

in the regular size and just love the material!

I have one of the Simoni pens with a music nib, and it's a very nice writer. Figured both nibs were coming from Bock, so they would be consistent. But they're totally different in feel. 

#7 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:37

Firstly, I have not personally seen the Leonardo music nib. That said, I know Leonardo tunes their nibs before they leave the factory.  What happens between then and when an end user receives them may be problematic. I have had a number of pens with nib tines that were misaligned when I received them. Music nibs, with 3 tines, are at greater risk for this problem. However, I would not blame either Bock or Leonardo.  Talk to the vendor. If the tines are misaligned, the nib is not as it should be.

There are a number of online sources of loose Leonardo nibs, but I have not seen loose music nibs for sale ... yet.

David

#8 mrsharkbait

mrsharkbait

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:55

I have the MomentoZero Art Deco with the music nib, and it writes very smoothly.  My only other reference is the Franklin-Christoph 1.9mm music nib, and they are apple and orange.  The Leonardo nib has some give (more of a stiff bounce than soft flex) and hence line variation, while the F-C one is more stub like.

At the time of ordering with Appelboom I asked them to tune the pen before shipping for free, and the nib option was about a €35 premium over the regular gold nib.  I figured that so far it is the only way to buy the music nib from Leonardo, and that any other variant can be had as a replacement nib.  I am still trying to get the most out of the nib, but I am not disappointed in the nib at all.

OT: I also bought a 3rd Leonardo from Endless Pens, which has since stopped carrying the brand.  Too many nib related issues was the reason, however my copy with steel Fine wrote beautifully also.  OK, maybe a tiny bit of baby’s bottom with smooth coated paper, but on regular stock it provided wonderful feedback.

So by all means get the music nib from a seller who would go the extra step and tune your purchase.  Good luck.

Sponsored Content

|