The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Water Resistance Of Some Iron-Gall Inks Compared

platinum pelikan kwz kwzi ig

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:27

fpn_1577085565__iron-gall_inks_water_res

(All the writing was done using a dip pen, not the Aurora 888 Saturno that was merely acting as a paperweight while I took the photo above.)

The degree to which iron-gall inks are water resistant vary greatly from ink to ink, even when they are in the same product line of the same brand. Sadly, KWZ Ink IG Mandarin does not perform very well at all, and barely surpasses Aztec Gold IGL (which stands for Iron-Gall Light) in that respect.

fpn_1577085532__iron-gall_inks_water_res
fpn_1577085497__iron-gall_inks_water_res

Aside: I was a bit surprised to see Platinum Blue-Black sheen purple some prominently and evenly.
fpn_1577085416__platinum_blue-black_ink_

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:44

Thank you for this most useful comparison. Goes to show that not all IG inks were created equal.  ;)

How long did you let the ink dry before the test?

Edited by carlos.q, 23 December 2019 - 09:49.

#3 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:25

Excellent comparison. Most helpful. It's not just the actual (even if merely subjectively judged) colour differences but also their permanences which play a role. Thanks too, to Carlos for his outstanding question.  :)  :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 3,498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 13:31

How long did you let the ink dry before the test?

About two hours. (Actually, that's incorrect; I got mixed up with a different set of water resistance testing.)

The samples were written after dinner one night, and only on the following morning did I get around to standing them up in an old ice-cream container to soak.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 23 December 2019 - 14:19.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 21:30

Very interesting results, especially since I have a number of these inks.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 00:29

Platinum Blue-Black is a surprisingly useful and well-behaved ink. I use it frequently in my Nakayas, because a box of the cartridges comes with each pen. Has anyone compared the waterfastness of Platinum Blue-Black and Pilot Blue-Black?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#7 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:05

Adding mine here for more information in one place:

http://www.fountainp...inks/?p=4073415

(that post and 2 down with water resistance results)

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:30

Very cool! Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#9 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:30

Without making precise tests I also noticed the low water resistance of kwz ig inks.
Good to know that this is confirmed allegro hour test.

#10 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 13:59

Very cool. Thanks for this, Dill.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, pelikan, kwz, kwzi, ig

Sponsored Content

|