The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

M1000 Leak Question

pelikan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 510wells

510wells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 00:28

I recently bought a Pelikan M1000 with Green/Black body with F nib that tends to leak. I think the leak is where the Nib screws into the body as the more I tighten the Nib the less the leak. Even though I have MUCH  more force than with M200 and M400 Nibs  I am unable to completly stop the leak. 

Might this somewhat normal for these Big pens?

Thanks for any help :-)

The only constant is change.

Sponsored Content

#2 Scylax

Scylax

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 00:35

Ive certainly neither heard of nor experienced this at all, let alone it being normal. Pens shouldnt leak.

#3 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:26

Have not experienced this with my M800.  I've read that piston fillers are more likely to burp ink if they are only filled with a small amount of ink.  Do you normally do a full fill?  Or is your leaking like continuous dripping? 

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#4 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:25

I have two M1000's and neither do this. You shouldn't need to tighten the nib unit more than finger tight and, of course, don't use any tools.  You might try a small amount of silicone grease on the threads but I suspect the nib section might be cracked.  Look the area over very carefully with a loupe.

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#5 510wells

510wells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:52

Ive certainly neither heard of nor experienced this at all, let alone it being normal. Pens shouldn't leak.

This is the first one for Me that leaks like this.

Have not experienced this with my M800.  I've read that piston fillers are more likely to burp ink if they are only filled with a small amount of ink.  Do you normally do a full fill?  Or is your leaking like continuous dripping? 

I always fill it up. It leaks in the cap but very slow over a period of a couple of days

The only constant is change.

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 17:54

Send it in for repair, either in England (what ever British company has the concession) , or in a hurry to Pelikan in Hanover, before Brexit hits.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 18:49

Never had a Pelikan leak

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan

Sponsored Content

|