The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Balance II-Levenger version

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sleek_lover

sleek_lover

Sleek Lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:34

Not sure why I have this pen in rotation, other than it just got there.  As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure why I ever bought the pen, other than it was a close-out and I got a great deal...

That said, the pen is a looker.  The barrel and cap are lustrous mix of flecks of goldish brown shot through with highlights of blue and copper.  Truth be told, I don't even remember the color name, other than it is something autumnal.

The furniture is a bit odd, the cap ring being a chromish affair with the Levenger name emblazoned on it; the chromed clip is a 1930s-ish looking stamping with a flattened circle at then end.  This is affixed to the cap with four prongs--I've seen sturdier work on third-tier Depression-era pens.  A HUGE white dot sits above clip; it looks out of proportion, but is the same size as the dot on my Valor.  With the cap on the pen kinda looks shoddy...

Once the screw-fastened cap is off, though, a whole new pen arises.  The nib is a lucious two-tone Touch Down with that cute little turned up nib-tip (mine is an M) backed against an black section.  (It is sorta like what we used to do in the "old days".  Take the crappiest car we could find...like a '53 Chev with a Blue Flame 6 and two speed hydromatic, rip out the engine and tranny, put in a decent engine---in my group that would be a 289 Ford with a Borg Warner four-speed)

Without getting into the politics of posting versus not posting, I am a non-poster.  The pen balances just perfectly for me without the cap (which I hold in my left hand.)  The nib is smooth and lays a sort of "middlle of the road" M line.  Again, without political bent, I am not a big flex fan and this nib suits my hand well.  I can and have written in meetings for 30 or so minutes, and done personal journaling with no fatigue at all.  But again.  my hand size and strength are different than yours...what fits and is comfortable for me may be uncomfortable as hell for you...

Cartridge/converter filled, a combo I like, the pen has good fit and finish, with outstanding performance characteristics.  The only negatives are cosmetic...the cheesy-looking Levenger fitments.  I rate the pen A-.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mary P

Mary P

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:27

The name of the pen is the Aspen. I have the Sheaffer version (as opposed to the Sheaffer/Levenger collaboration which had silve rather than gold furniture). I love the pen. I bought mine with a factory stub and then had Richard Binder narrow and smooth the nib. Then I had Richard repair it after I dropped the pen, nib down, on to an oak floor. I enjoyed the pen for several years and then dropped it nib first into the kitchen sink. That time I had Dennis Lively repair the nib.

I'm not sure I understand this. You see, I'm not normally hard on pens. This is one of only two pens I have ever dropped.

I find both modern and vintage Sheaffer Balance pens comfortable for long writing sessions. That is saying something because I have arthritis and many pens are down right painful for me to use.
Mary Plante

#3 Mary P

Mary P

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:27

I do not post this pen. I also caution against posting any Balance, modern or vintage. I would hate to guess how many Sheaffer Balance pens I've seen with cracked caps. It is simply better not to take the chance. Besides, these pens are so well "balanced" they don't need the additional weight on the end.

Edited by Mary P, 01 July 2007 - 02:32.

Mary Plante

#4 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 13:53

I am glad you like your pen. I like the Balance II's so much I got one in every color sheaffer had available. I also love Sheaffer's stub nib, and I have all of my Balance II's with them. They are just plain enjoyable pens.

Mary P wrote:

"I find both modern and vintage Sheaffer Balance pens comfortable for long writing sessions. That is saying something because I have arthritis and many pens are down right painful for me to use."

I think people tend to forget that Balance II's are Pelikn M-800/Duofold Centennial sized. That size, especially the pen's diameter, is quite comfortable for me and my arthritis. The shape of the section is pleasing as well. I understand that not all Sheaffer's pens are this size, but the overall shape is vintage and very useful.

I use my Balance II's unposted, too. They are quite comfortable and well balanced, but I still find the tapered end feels odd. Nevertheless, that one thing is my only criticism.

Sponsored Content

|