The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Simplicity: Parkville Pen LE #2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:31

I was looking through the database of reviews and realized that no one had reviewed one of these, save for the FPN Edition. So...here's my two cents on the Simplicity.

First Impressions
This was a birthday present to myself, and it arrived at a perfect time. Dennis Bowden, owner of Parkville Pen, commissioned these from Bexley and they arrived about a week or so after my birthday - maybe less. A total of 30 were made (if memory serves), half being in black with rhodium, and the others in gold trim. While not numbered, I believe that this one is #2 of the run of 15 with rhodium trim.

Initially, the only thing that kept me away from the Simplicity was the fact that they werenít offered in many colors that I would consider to be understated. Cool colors? Absolutely. Would it look right in the breastpocket of a white oxford? That was a little more in question. Thanks to Dennis, these hit the mark perfectly, and given that the trim was available in rhodium or gold with the black finish...it was right up my alley. It was elegant without being overdone. Just what I was looking for.

Appearance
It came in the typical Bexley packaging - a nice box, a satin-esque lining, etc. Looked good...couldnít wait to tear it open and take a further look.

Design
The design is reminiscent of the old Sheaffer flat-tops of the late 20s, and from what I understand, it was the primary source of inspiration. Itís very simple and extremely light-weight. I swear, this is the lightest pen of any of the 20-odd pens I have in my stable. Itís perfectly balanced in my hand, and I find it quite comfortable for a long stretch of writing. The plastic isnít overly slippery, and the rhodium-plated trim came out perfectly.

One nice thing about this pen (that initially, I thought was a defect), was the way that the cap screwed on. I swear to you, Iíd never had a pen with a cap that went on harder. I thought for sure that Iíd messed it up and somehow had cross-threaded it and mucked it up. Dennis set me straight and told me that it was actually a feature - that Howard had had too many pens that had somehow come unscrewed while in a pocket or a placket of a shirt, and had ended up ruining a shirt. Being that Iíd had a similar experience or two with some of my pens, I wasnít complaining about this anymore at all. Terrific feature! As of this writing, Iíve owned this pen for about three (going on four) months, and havenít had a single problem with it unscrewing when it wasnít supposed to.

The bottom line is that this pen was designed to be simple and unadorned. It wasnít really meant to have any extra bits that werenít supposed to be there.

Nib
The nib on this pen, while nothing outrageous, is terrific. It came out of the box writing perfectly, as I expected that it would. The Schmidt nibs are terrific performers, and very reliable. Mine is quite firm, which is how I like them, and I find that the line that it lays down is not wet, and not excessively dry. It starts up without a hitch regardless of the ink thatís in it, even after having sat for a week or two without being used. When writing, I donít notice excessive smoothness (i.e., the Lamy 2000 nibs, which almost slide around too much on the page for me), nor do I feel that theyíre excessively toothy.

In my opinion? Just right.

Filling System
Nothing special to note here. Itís a standard c/c pen. Fills as it should.

Cost and Value
I paid the going rate for these pens, and I donít feel that I overpaid by one single cent. In fact, I probably would have paid more for it, had Dennis asked it (donít get any bright ideas, Bowden!).

Conclusion
For the money, itís hard to beat this one for style and quality. It looks like a million bucks, and writes like it too. Add in the fact that if you ever have a problem with it, Howard Levy and his team will take good care of you? Itís darn near perfect.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

#2 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:54

Excellent review.

I've bought Bexleys from Dennis, also. A reputable dealer who enjoys sharing his knowledge with you.

No connection to Parkville Pen other than as a satisfied customer.

#3 bdngrd

bdngrd

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:15

Thanks for the review, nice pics as well.
The Danitrio Fellowship

#4 acogbill

acogbill

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 16:03

How is the roller clip? I've never had one, but they look interesting.

#5 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 16:31

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Glad you enjoyed the review (and the pictures).

As for the roller clip? No problems with it at all. It's distinctive, and more importantly, it functions well. I gifted an old Retro 51 rollerball with a similar clip and it didn't work half as well as this one does.

#6 AJP

AJP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 18:06

Great review and pictures!! One of the first pens I purchased was a Bexley Simplicity from an FPN member, it's a GREAT pen. I almost purchased a second one when Dennis had the black ones... NOW Im regretting not getting it crybaby.gif

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Ē - Robert McClosky

#7 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2007 - 19:27

Love the look of the pen but I've already had my birthday this year. Wonder if I could celebrate a half year birthday? hmm1.gif

Thanks for the review, R. I would never have know about the LE without it.
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#8 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 19:56

I'm a sucker for black and chrome/rhodium/silver, etc. Those, and the blue ones with silver-tone trim, are the ones that get me all riled up. thumbup.gif As soon as I found out about it, it was destined for my collection.

#9 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2007 - 20:09

QUOTE(rroossinck @ Jul 2 2007, 12:56 PM) View Post
I'm a sucker for black and chrome/rhodium/silver, etc. Those, and the blue ones with silver-tone trim, are the ones that get me all riled up. thumbup.gif As soon as I found out about it, it was destined for my collection.

Me, too! That's why I went for the rhodium Sapporo and is it ever handsome. wub.gif
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#10 AJP

AJP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 22:26

I am with you there! Black and Silver/Rhodium grabs my attention and screams... BUY ME!! wacko.gif
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Ē - Robert McClosky

#11 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:02

Then don't look at the Marketplace. Dennis just posted up three new Bexleys in black and silver.

#12 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2007 - 17:17

That is one nice pen wink.gif It has a vintage art deco touch that I appreciate as well.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|