Permanent Black That Doesn't Smear Or Hard Start

Abner C. Kemp

I'd really like to find a permanent black that behaves relatively well. With Nooder's Black I don't have any start up issues but the ink smears on Rhodia DAYS after writing (which is absolutely ridiculous IMO). Montblanc Permanent Black dries fully but I get all kinds of hard start issues, even with the Platinum slip and seal pens. Has anyone come accross anything else? Pilot/Namiki Blue-Black is my go to at the moment as the water resistance is high and the flow is great, but I haven't been able to find a Black that does the same thing. Pilot/Namiki Black runs quite a lot with water.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Abner C. Kemp

• pararis

• DonM

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to find a permanent black that behaves relatively well. With Nooder's Black I don't have any start up issues but the ink smears on Rhodia DAYS after writing (which is absolutely ridiculous IMO). Montblanc Permanent Black dries fully but I get all kinds of hard start issues, even with the Platinum slip and seal pens. Has anyone come accross anything else? Pilot/Namiki Blue-Black is my go to at the moment as the water resistance is high and the flow is great, but I haven't been able to find a Black that does the same thing. Pilot/Namiki Black runs quite a lot with water.

Thanks!

My Noodler's Black smears, yes.

My Noodler's Heart of Darkness dries much more quickly and does not smear.

Another vote here for HoD -- I much prefer it over the regular Noodler's Black because it's pretty black and dries a LOT faster. Noodler's Old Manhattan (exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC) is blackety-black, but does have a tendency to spread -- I suspect that is partly WHY it looks so black (and I don't remember the dry times for it).

I can't say about ESSRI, but I have tried some other IG blue blacks, and really like Akkerman Ijzer Galnoten and KWZI IB Blue Black. Not sure how long term permanent they are, because I've had IG inks not being overly UV resistant.

I haven't tried it, but a lot of people here have good things to say about the Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Black (I do have Souboku, the less teal looking one, and like it very much).

If it doesn't have to be blackety black, have a look at Noodler's El Lawrence (yeah, the one that looks like used motor oil). My old bank (before they got bought out by another bank) was a stickler for "you must only use black or blue ink for signing checks"). But I used El Lawrence on a regular basis and they didn't bat an eye (just like they never batted an eye over me using Noodler's Kung Te Cheng as a "blue" ink). I'm not necessarily recommending KTC to you, mind, because it is a problem child; but I *would* describe it as "EVERYTHING proof".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Noodler's Old Manhattan (exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC) is blackety-black, but does have a tendency to spread -- I suspect that is partly WHY it looks so black (and I don't remember the dry times for it).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I just got hold of my bottle of OM and my experience with it is quite opposite. It looks much like regular Noodler's black: not so deep black, shades to a kinda dark grey/brown, extremely well behaved and long, long drying times. Definitely not the blackest black by any way possible.

Anyway, good behaved permanent blacks: HoD has already been mentioned, I approve of it. I would like to add Rohrer & Klingner Lotte, which is pigmented and fast drying in my experience. Completely waterproof once dry.

+1 Kiwa-Guro if it works in your pen. It can write dry in some pens, but if it works, it's worth it.

+1 HOD which works in any pen I throw it in. The only problem I've had with HOD is that it can write a thicker line. So sometimes, depending on the nib, it will write a line 1/2 or a full nib size larger than the nib I have. It's basically my go to Black ink if Kiwa-Guro doesn't work in a pen.

If Kiwa-Guro or HOD doesn't work for me, I usually settle for Noodler's black and make sure I use a blotter paper.

I keep a bottle of Old Manhattan Black just in case, which is a very smooth ink, almost too slick for some of my smoother inks and paper. The only concern I have for OMB is that it can be a dirty ink and require some significant cleaning, so I'd recommend researching reviews of it.

J. Herbin Perle noire has faired surprisingly well in all the lightfastness tests I do every month for years now. It is not completely waterproof but does resist spillings enough to remain legible. Add to that a deep, satin-like black and reliable behaviour even in picky nibs and you have an amazing black ink that should be easily obtainable in bottles (up to 100 ml!!!) and cartridges in most places for a reasonable price.

Sorry for hijacking. I would suggest Aurora Black. Yes, technically it is not permanent (Pilot blue black isn't either), but factually more or less it is. Water resistance is average but it is well legible even after long soaking. UV (fade) resistance is great. And above all the ink is a pleasure to use and carefree in terms of maintenance.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I keep one pen permanently inked with Platinum Carbon Black for addressing envelopes. I've never had any issues with it, and it is permanent.

The DeAtramentis Document Black is probably best overall to meet your specifications. It is also 100% watertight. Sailor Kiwa Guro is also a good performer, but it is not entirely watertight.

My permanent black of choice is Platinum Carbon Black, but on some paper it can have a long dry time. On Tom Riv I actually have to set it aside to dry or else blot it (and once you blot it, you've removed some of the ink you meant to have on the paper. But it will dry and does not smear some time later.

A lot of this depends on paper used and time between uses. Even the Platinum caps will let ink sour if you don't use them for months at a time. Then it becomes more operator error than an ink deficiency.