The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Osmiroid 65

osmiroid 65 section repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeterR-C

PeterR-C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 16:33

At an antiques fair I was recently GIVEN a fountain pen by a stall holder who just wanted rid of it. Couldn't say no, could I? And of course Ive got to get it back into working order...

It is an Osmiroid, a brand I remember from school, long ago. Research shows it is an Osmiroid 65. It is not a lever filler. I've ordered a converter from ebay. The nib says OSMIROID ROLATIP MEDIUM SOFT ENGLAND, and looks to be in perfect order. The problem is the section. When unscrewed it is badly bent - see photo. All in all the pen has had a lot of abuse. There are tooth marks on the section, as if someone has tried to open it with their teeth. Also the bottom of the barrel is irregular, looks like a knife has been inserted in an attempt to open the pen.

Can anyone tell me how to separate the nib from the feed? And, more importantly, where can I get a replacement section? There don't appear to be any on ebay. NB this is the normal section, not the long cradle-shaped thing for holding a calligraphic nib. I gather Osmiroid nibs fit Esterbrook sections. Does this mean that an Esterbrook section would take the Osmiroid nib and fit the Osmiroid barrel? 

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter

Osmiroid.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 18:32

I gather Osmiroid nibs fit Esterbrook sections. Does this mean that an Esterbrook section would take the Osmiroid nib and fit the Osmiroid barrel?

NO... It means you /might/ be able to fit an Esterbrook NIB into an Osmiroid SECTION. Actually, that might be the easier direction -- that "tail" on the Osmiroid nib unit needs, I believe, to be cut off to fit an Esterbrook section.

Sections, however, are unique to the brand -- it is just the threaded part of the nib unit that the brands have in common.

Hmmm, I though Osmiroid 65s were piston fillers (Somewhere I've misplaced my college era Osmiroids, had one lever fill and one piston fill). If this one takes a converter, you probably won't be using Esterbrook nib units -- I suspect the converter has to couple to that "tail".

Actually, a quick search shows that all the 65s up for sale are lever fillers, the piston filler is the 75.

#3 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 18:48

The 65 model number was re-used for different pens.  It was originally a lever filler.  The plastic that the section is made from might have "memory" and respond to heat.  Failing that I would consign the pen to the trash though you might want to keep the nib unit in case you get a better Osmiroid - they're cheap enough - or an Esterbrook.  Why do you want to separate the nib from its housing?

Regards,

Eachan

#4 Grayspoole

Grayspoole

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 20:05

I would not recommend separating the Osmiroid nib from its feed.

The warped section Osmiroid pen is probably worth less than the nib. I would also suggest that you look for a replacement Osmiroid pen (either a 65 or 75 but not an Easy Change model which uses a different kind of nib as part of a longer screw on section) or an Esterbrook J Pen. The Esterbrook J will use the Osmiroid nib/feed unit that you have there, no need to cut the feed. Vintage Rotring Rapidograph pens also will.

Edited by Grayspoole, 15 December 2019 - 20:08.

#5 gpa_manuel

gpa_manuel

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 19:35

Hello, I also have a Osmiroid 65 with a stuck B3 nib unit onto the section. I have tried soaking it and have blue ink ozing in the water. Which I think is good? However, that nib will not screw out. Pen has been forgotten for about 6 mons. Any ideas on unscrewing the nib unit?  I apologize if this is the wrong forum.  Thanks much.

#6 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 20:46

Soak, soak, soak... Maybe with a touch of ammonia

And then... maybe a few cycles in an Ultrasonic Cleaner

#7 Bibliophage

Bibliophage