Damaging Inks

melissa59

No, it would not. The only thing it implies is the manufacturer is a businessman and it's cheaper to replace than to clean/dry/check/test old parts. Morever MB resin is soft and some customers may claim the pen arrived more scratched then it was (and there is no objective way to prove the opposite without harm to the company). So MB directly replaces, simply to get rid of troubles with weird customers who are hitting the roof without a reason.

We should also take into account that MB will guarantee their work for 12 months - so it may also be in their interests simply to replace with new parts, rather than apply their factory guarantee to any parts of a doubtful nature?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aurore

• Fermata

• Intensity

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Silly question . . .
If I'm purchasing an ink online, will iron gall inks be clearly marked as iron gall?

I own exactly six bottles of ink, one of each color: red, blue, black, green, purple and pink. Before choosing those inks, I tried a couple dozen ink samples. I did not consider how an ink would react with the sac in my Esterbrook or if it would stain the converter in my Lamy Safari. And I never, ever considered that an ink might damage a pen's nib! No, in my case, I chose the six inks based solely on their color.

I've learned that I especially enjoy vivid shades such as Noodler's North African Violet, Noodler's Midway Blue and Diamine Syrah. Good thing I am not a fan of demonstrators.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

Iron galls should be clearly labelled. Having said that, there are not that many IG inks, so it is extremely unlikely that you have ordered one inadvertently.

Also, almost all modern iron galls are fine to use. Just observe the same basic pen maintenance: don't let them dry out, and clean the pen two or three times a year.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I almost accidentally bought two bottles of iron gall at a recent pen show. I picked out two wonderful bottles at KWZ stand and was about to pay, when I noticed “IG” label on the packaging. I switched to the normal ones: Flame Red and Grapefruit. Apart from the strong smell, they are bright and happy inks that haven’t given me any problems.

Silly question . . .

If I'm purchasing an ink online, will iron gall inks be clearly marked as iron gall?

I own exactly six bottles of ink, one of each color: red, blue, black, green, purple and pink. Before choosing those inks, I tried a couple dozen ink samples. I did not consider how an ink would react with the sac in my Esterbrook or if it would stain the converter in my Lamy Safari. And I never, ever considered that an ink might damage a pen's nib! No, in my case, I chose the six inks based solely on their color.

I've learned that I especially enjoy vivid shades such as Noodler's North African Violet, Noodler's Midway Blue and Diamine Syrah. Good thing I am not a fan of demonstrators.

The OG Aristotle ink Shawn provided in the link was the first edition of that ink, and one found to be poorly formulated, most likely an excess of iron which made it unstable forming both peroxides and excess hydrogen ions which increased acidity. It is the only modern Iron Gall ink to exhibit this effect, potentially due to this version being made at a time the maker had a number of other distractions, specifically starting grad school. I am not sure if the later versions of this ink were made stable, but some seem to think so. All the other Iron gall inks from Diamine, R&K, KWZ, Platinum etc. have never shown this unstableness, and indeed are harmless to sacs, alkalinity is a more likely cause of their demise, and nibs with routine pen upkeep.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Iron galls should be clearly labelled. Having said that, there are not that many IG inks, so it is extremely unlikely that you have ordered one inadvertently.

Also, almost all modern iron galls are fine to use. Just observe the same basic pen maintenance: don't let them dry out, and clean the pen two or three times a year.

Yes, and make sure that you flush with distilled water first, then use vinegar solution(which is acidic) instead of ammonia solution (which is a mild alkaline), then more distilled water (and then if necessary THEN use ammonia solution, then finish with distilled water).

I'll admit that I really like most of the IG inks I've tried. A few, less so, but the only one I actually had trouble with was some vintage Sanford Pen-It and that destroyed the original Con-20 (?) squeeze converter on my Pilot Metropolitan.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Silly question . . .

fpn_1577132281__img_5605.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Yes, and make sure that you flush with distilled water first, then use vinegar solution(which is acidic) instead of ammonia solution (which is a mild alkaline), then more distilled water (and then if necessary THEN use ammonia solution, then finish with distilled water).

I'm happy just using tap water :)

Konrad of KWZ does suggest dissolving a little Vitamin C in water (ascorbic acid) if there is any particulate residue that you would like to flush, but so far I have not had to do this with his inks (or with DRI, for that matter).

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I finally understand why you are “inkstainedruth” :-))))))))

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I finally understand why you are inkstainedruth :-))))))))

That's also to avoid "damage" (staining) :)

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.