The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1St Vac-Fill - Any Advice, Tips?

vac-fill sheaffer tuckaway valiant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 20:30

Any advice/tips for 1st-time Vac-fill owner? Care and feeding, inks to avoid, etc.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sponsored Content

#2 PaperWantsAPen

PaperWantsAPen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 23:30

Avoid Noodler's.

Grease your filler rod twice a year with silicone grease.

Don't try to take it apart for cleaning or lubing. It's not meant to be disassembled except for full service refurbishment of the filler. Don't soak the section - for example, nib down in a glass of water. The section is ebonite and soaking will turn it brown. There's no need anyway but some insist on doing it.

Enjoy.

Stacy Hills

Paper Wants A Pen

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 23:49

Edited by Freddy, 14 December 2019 - 23:49.

#4 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 2,321 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:33

Avoid Noodler's.

Grease your filler rod twice a year with silicone grease.

Don't try to take it apart for cleaning or lubing. It's not meant to be disassembled except for full service refurbishment of the filler. Don't soak the section - for example, nib down in a glass of water. The section is ebonite and soaking will turn it brown. There's no need anyway but some insist on doing it.

Enjoy.

????? There are several vac fillers on the market. Which one is Ebonite?

Vac fillers tend to be difficult to clean, so I'd stick to one ink. Or at least refrain from serial colour changes.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#5 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 19:49

Don't soak the section - for example, nib down in a glass of water. The section is ebonite and soaking will turn it brown. There's no need anyway but some insist on doing it.

I'd be curious to know which Sheaffer Vac-fillers have ebonite sections as well.

Gerry Berg recommends the following cleaning/maintenance routine (every fourth filling):

1.  Empty the pen of ink
  2. Fill the pen with cold water several times. Work the plunger back and forth to flush dried ink from the nib and barrel
  3. After filling with water, place the pen nib down in a glass of enough water to cover the nib completely. Soak for a couple of hours.
  4. Empty the pen and let it dry.
  5. Place a small amount of silicone grease on the rod.
  6. Fill with ink.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#6 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 2,321 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 23:12

Current Vac fillers include: Pilot 823, Visconti, TWSBI 700, PenBBS 456 and 355, and Wing Sung 699

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#7 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:31

Thanks for all the advice, especially Berg's instructions from Silverlifter. In reading up on how they work, I imagined they'd flush almost as easily as a piston filler, although now I think of it I guess there's no "forcing out" like on a piston and it more "drawing in" and "draining out". Is pen flush ok to use or should I stick with plain water?

I'm waiting on a black 1948 Tuckaway Valiant, should be here Wednesday.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#8 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 00:53

Avoid Noodler's.

?????

#9 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:51

...Vac fillers tend to be difficult to clean....

I don't find that to be the case.  I find some inks are a challenge to clean from any pen.  Plunger-fillers such as Sheaffer's Vac-Fill create more turbulence than any filling system, which promotes more active flushing through the feed and into the barrel.  I reach a "clear flush" with plunger fillers faster than any other filling system in pens I've had (except for a Conid bulk-filler).  YMMV

#10 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 13:21

Avoid Noodler's.

Nonsense.

The topic of alleged damage from Noodler's inks has been beaten to death (and then some) with no conclusive evidence that points to Noodler's inks generally being any more dangerous/damaging than any other ink. 

I've used Noodler's inks in lever-fillers, vac-fillers, piston-fillers, and eyedroppers for years with no ill effects at all. 

Edited by Maccabeus, 20 December 2019 - 13:22.

ἔχω ψυχια καὶ μεγαλοκακοτης ἐιμί

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vac-fill, sheaffer, tuckaway, valiant

Sponsored Content

|