• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill P

• writepen

• inkstainedruth

• melissa59

All,

Robert Rosenberg contacted me to resolve the issue of using my photos. I'm satisfied that it's being resolved.

Thanks!

As the old saying goes, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

One can only wonder if he is also going to reach out to the others who's photos he used without their knowledge or permission.........

Edited by Seney724

Influencer? ...Reads like an advertisement....perhaps more appropriate in the Market Watch forum ....not in the review section...same for the Pen Chalet promos..Goldspot, and other promos

All of their posts are like this. I've reported that account, but the posts remain. It's basically spam posting in the sense that it contributes nothing useful or informative to the community.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

All of their posts are like this. I've reported that account, but the posts remain. It's basically spam posting in the sense that it contributes nothing useful or informative to the community.

I had seen several post by the same member in the Fountain Pen Review section in the past...and I always thought it was inappropriate....they clearly weren't reviews, and they were clearly promoting a Vendor, not the Pen, and many times the same retailer...Pen Chalet several times, and recently I saw a Gold Spot promo too...it never seemed appropriate to me. There is clearly some sort of affiliation...like being a promoter or influencer.

Looks like a moderator moved the thread to the Market from the Review section...still sort of a deceptive post but at least it's in a little more appropriate area of the FPN.

I had seen several post by the same member in the Fountain Pen Review section in the past...and I always thought it was inappropriate....they clearly weren't reviews, and they were clearly promoting a Vendor, not the Pen, and many times the same retailer...Pen Chalet several times, and recently I saw a Gold Spot promo too...it never seemed appropriate to me. There is clearly some sort of affiliation...like being a promoter or influencer.

Looks like a moderator moved the thread to the Market from the Review section...still sort of a deceptive post but at least it's in a little more appropriate area of the FPN.

Whether or not there is an affiliation is something I don't know. I can only speak for myself - these posts don't make the pen or retailer more appealing to me. In fact I perceive them as rather defamatory to my view of the retailer.

Whether or not there is an affiliation is something I don't know. I can only speak for myself - these posts don't make the pen or retailer more appealing to me. In fact I perceive them as rather defamatory to my view of the retailer.

+1 - totally agree

Today I logged into eBay and was greeted with an "offer" on one of these pens. No idea why. I have no interest. As far as I know, I've never purchased anything from the seller. It was a bit unnerving that some random seller would know I have an interest in fountain pens, when our user names are coded (random letters/numbers) for privacy when bidding and buying. Worse, it's a seller offering me something that I'm not remotely interested in.

Anyone else get this? Have any idea what I might have done to get on this seller's radar?

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

Did you “watch” the pen? There’s a seller option to send offers to people on the watchers list.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Did you “watch” the pen? There’s a seller option to send offers to people on the watchers list.

Nope.

Maybe I've watched something else that seller had up for sale. But as far as I can recall, the only thing I've watched has been vintage pens, mostly Esterbrook.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Today I logged into eBay and was greeted with an "offer" on one of these pens. No idea why. I have no interest. As far as I know, I've never purchased anything from the seller. It was a bit unnerving that some random seller would know I have an interest in fountain pens, when our user names are coded (random letters/numbers) for privacy when bidding and buying. Worse, it's a seller offering me something that I'm not remotely interested in.

Anyone else get this? Have any idea what I might have done to get on this seller's radar?

Did you look at the page while logged in to eBay ? if so that's enough for them to consider that you were interested in it.

Did you look at the page while logged in to eBay ? if so that's enough for them to consider that you were interested in it.

Yes, that I did do -- right after I first read the original post in this thread.

It's one thing to have so-called "relevant" ads pop up on the Internet, based on my browsing. But it's a whole other thing to have ebay sellers see my browsing and get my ebay contact information.

It feels invasive, kind of like if I'd been shopping at a garage sale and the seller followed me home to offer me a teeny tiny discount on something I glanced at. ICK!

It's nothing to do with the seller bar them selecting the option to receive offers. It is eBay that links your viewing the page and offers being accepted that resulted in the email. First the seller would know is if you put in an offer, and that, as with any bid, would be anonymous to them.

Edited by dapprman

Sounds as if you need to get some ad blocker software installed. My husband was complaining a couple of days ago that he was being shown ads for something *I* had been looking up earlier in the day (no, it wasn't pen-related, as it happened).

Or, as a friend of mine said, after booking a hotel room in Florida someplace, and then getting inundated with ads on Facebook for "hotel prices for X location" -- she said "I only need ONE room....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sounds as if you need to get some ad blocker software installed. My husband was complaining a couple of days ago that he was being shown ads for something *I* had been looking up earlier in the day (no, it wasn't pen-related, as it happened).

Or, as a friend of mine said, after booking a hotel room in Florida someplace, and then getting inundated with ads on Facebook for "hotel prices for X location" -- she said "I only need ONE room....

I do use AdBlocker Plus. I like it a lot. I rarely see any ads on the Internet. Though I will admit that I have it turned off here on FPN. It is my limited way of showing support for the site.

The ad that I received on eBay was not a typical pop-up ad. It was something that showed up in my account page, under that little "bell" icon at the top right. Good to know that it was likely an eBay thing and not a seller-stalker thing after all.

Makes no difference as it's eBay using your account looking at a page for an item that has the option of accepting offers.

It's probably not ad related at all. Companies like Facebook and Google track usage anonymously and then piece together profiles even if you have never signed up with their service. This is bundled and sold to advertisers. Any page that has the little Facebook "F" or a like option is sending them info that they are storing, processing, packaging and selling.

On Facebook I have taken to clicking on the little icon in the corner to get to the "Why am I seeing this ad?" -- especially for the ones that went directly into my feed (I was really offended by the ones trying to sell me bras over the internet -- which probably some marketing MAN's idea; buying bras in stores where you can try them on is an onerous enough proposition....

Yet another reason I'm not on FB much.

Unfortunately, I *can't* turn off my adblocker software on here -- the computer code for the ads were causing the pages to freeze up and crash (it was *already* bad enough that about 98% of them were NOT pen-related, and a couple were for products/services that were downright illegal in the Commonwealth of PA -- those ads got reported to Wim pronto...). And contacting Google or stuff like DAS was completely useless. :angry:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

@writepen -- So, where are these pens made? And what sort of fill system do they have?

@Seney724 -- Yeah, I had already seen that other thread....

I don't know, sorry, just know they look great and write great! :)

@writepen -- So, where are these pens made? And what sort of fill system do they have?

@Seney724 -- Yeah, I had already seen that other thread....

I don't know, sorry, just know they look great and write great! :)

CC Filler