Pelikan Edelstein Ink Of The Year 2020 - Moonstone

Fritz Schimpf

Hmmm. On my screen it looks a bit like Noodler's Lexington Grey (especially when diluted). Not sure I'd go out of my way for it (it seems to be like J Herbin in that it seems a bit light to be really legible (even in what is clearly a stub nib), but will likely end up with a bottle in the fall at the local Pelikan Hub.

Of course I didn't particularly like Edelstein Aquamarine either....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• inkstainedruth

• Fritz Schimpf

• DrDebG

Oops. Dreaded double post....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for your kind comments.

Please find a comparison with different grey inks below.

attachicon.gif Moonstone-vs-Greys.jpg

All of these grey inks have their own shade of grey and the differences can be

distinguished when written with a broad nib.

Sadly even a high resolution scanner is not really able to reproduce the colors.

Best regards,

Fritz Schimpf

P.S.: I own both Stone Grey and Kiri Same, and my Stone Grey is more of a neutral gray, whereas Kiri Same has that warm brownish pink tinge. Curious how they are reversed here.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

As a collector I'll buy it, but it's absolutely not my colour. In my eyes it's the least attractive of all Edelsteins. :roller1:

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

Obviously, I will be looking with keen interest. I have many grey and greyish inks, but see so many subtle variations in them that go right across the spectrum that I don't find them boring at all.

Last year's Star Ruby was not a hit here. :rolleyes:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Obviously, I will be looking with keen interest. I have many grey and greyish inks, but see so many subtle variations in them that go right across the spectrum that I don't find them boring at all.

Last year's Star Ruby was not a hit here. :rolleyes:

Which, ironically, I ended up really liking.

Everyone has different tastes. I'm sure that people went "Ooh, aah" over Adventurine, but I didn't really care for it. OTOH, I made sure I had a backup bottle of Smoky Quartz -- even though the color was really similar to Iroshizuku Yama-guri (which I ALSO have a backup bottle of... :rolleyes:).

​ETA: This is why, when I see threads that are along the lines of "what's your favorite brand" or "what's the best behaved brand" my gut answer will be "Yes...." B) Because nearly every brand I've tried has inks I really would not want to be without and also inks that you couldn't pay me enough to take off your hands....

Edited by inkstainedruth

Thank you so much for posting writing samples of the ink! I will definitely be ordering a bottle.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the sample of the Edetstein Moonstone. I find grey inks (and also amber inks) quite difficult to use, as they tend to be very light on the page. I have tried to use broad nibs which does give the ink more of a chance to demonstrate its qualities, but in the end, as I tend to write with fine nibs, these colours don't see much use in my writing. However I would be very excited if Pelikan produced an M600 or M800 in silver colouring! I hope it won't be just another M200 matching pen.

Edited by Quadratus

• 4 weeks later...

Was Advent urine yellow?

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Was Advent urine yellow?

Green .....

Oh, sorry, just squashed the joke 😊

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

That's funnier than the joke.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)