New Moonman Releases - M8 & T1

penzel_washinkton

The dry out problem on the wooden models effectively made the pen useless. It would be interesting to know if the same problem persists for these models

I had the same problem with all three of my M6 ( black/red/tiger stripe ) and also with the M600s.

The M6 would dry out after a minutes or few hours.

The M600S would be dry after around 1 day.

tried Iroshizuku , pilot namiki, edelsteins all have the same problem, flushed the pens already, even using ultrasonic bath.

another problem with this type of moonman, the nib sleeve is quite brittle on the lips, but since replacement are quite cheap,bought a lot of them...nib is very smooth.

The moonman M600, C1 & C2 doesnt have this problem..

I surely hope the moonman m8 fixes this problem.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Mech-for-i

• taike

• Theroc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes there are and I had them too and as for the 309 after sort of repairing almost 20 of them it lead me to believe its not the design but the design in manufacturing and proper assembly and lube ; all of them I disassemble , put in thin silicone oil lube for the piston end and silicone grease for the screw mechanism then apply loc-tight for plastic with the mechanism to barrel thread with a bit of silicone greaseat flat surface for extra sealent once put back together they work and continue to work. The one design fault I can surely tell is about the mfr tolerance no its not too loose in this case its too tight for the piston vs barrel inner diameter and that contribute a lot to the vaccum lock

Yeah, either it is a manufacturing flaw or a design flaw basically.

Such a shame though since the 309 is one of the PenBBS pens that fits in my hands quite nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a couple of T1s from office_supplies_pen on eBay. One with a fine nib, the other with a "Naginata Sai-bi" nib.

The pen itself is great, really well made all-in-all the fine Moonman nib is very smooth, ink flow is just right. The so-called Naginata Sai-bi not so much, but 'not much' is exactly what I expected.

Got my T1.

Absolutely awesome build quality. piston is awesome and smooth, so is the nib, cap feels great and posts decently too.

I really wish it had a clip.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Got my T1.

Absolutely awesome build quality. piston is awesome and smooth, so is the nib, cap feels great and posts decently too.

I really wish it had a clip.

Is the Moonman nib & feed swappable with a PenBBS nibs / Jowo / Bock?

Is the Moonman nib & feed swappable with a PenBBS nibs / Jowo / Bock?

No. The screw-in unit in the Moonman T1 is not compatible with PenBBS. However, the nibs have the same dimensions (eyeball esitmate); should be able to friction-fit one in place of the other. I haven't tried, however.

Anyone know the grip diameter? Looks like a nicely sized pen but I haven't seen any comparisons next to stuff I know yet.

No. The screw-in unit in the Moonman T1 is not compatible with PenBBS. However, the nibs have the same dimensions (eyeball esitmate); should be able to friction-fit one in place of the other. I haven't tried, however.

Alright thanks for the info

Huh, I thought the 698 didn't post "for worth a damn", to quote HoneyBadgers (IIRC)

It posts. You just get the sense that something is going to break eventually. That's why I did not really post it in the photo, it's just for aesthetics.

Oh for (bleep)'s sake will I ever be able to stop buying pens?

Are the threads sharp like on the wing sung 698?

Is the metal slippery?

Is the pen well balanced?

Edited by MuddyWaters

Are the threads sharp like on the wing sung 698?

They are finer, more tightly-spaced, so they don't feel as sharp the 698. Then again, I never considered the threads on the 698 sharp.

Is the metal slippery?

The satin finish is rather smooth. I wouldn't say slippery, but not grippy either.

Is the pen well balanced?

Posted? No. Too top-heavy. Uncapped it's fine; the section is balanced-out by the piston mechanism and end cap. I personally prefer a more section-weighted pen, but I find the T1 pleasant enough.

Edited by Theroc

post-149236-0-25476800-1579444842_thumb.jpeg

My pens finally arrived!

Have tried them only briefly and like them both. I ordered the green T1 thinking it would be more turquoise (I couldn't figure out if one of the pictures showed the blue or green one, so I flipped the coin and it was the wrong one..).

The M8's nib writes really dry and I can't figure out why. I flushed the pen before inking it, the tines are aligned, I removed the nib and used a feeler gauge to widen the gap, but nope. Luckily I had a spare Moonman M-nib, so I switched and it's good now.

The T1 writes fine and wet. I find the section quite slippery.

I had the same problem with all three of my M6 ( black/red/tiger stripe ) and also with the M600s.

The M6 would dry out after a minutes or few hours.

The M600S would be dry after around 1 day.

tried Iroshizuku , pilot namiki, edelsteins all have the same problem, flushed the pens already, even using ultrasonic bath.

another problem with this type of moonman, the nib sleeve is quite brittle on the lips, but since replacement are quite cheap,bought a lot of them...nib is very smooth.

The moonman M600, C1 & C2 doesnt have this problem..

I surely hope the moonman m8 fixes this problem.

I've been informally testing this with the M8. I've let it sit for several stretches of 2-3 days and it hasn't dried out yet. Could be the rose-colored glasses of early ownership (or the chilly winter temp), but so far so good. Take-sumi ink.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my M8, with the gold flecks. Absolutely amazingly beautiful pen. I also like the more rounded shape, different from a M200 that I am using now. Hope the M* will prove to be as smooth a writer as my M200.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

• 2 weeks later...

This moonman T1 is beautiful.

I preferably would like to see a resin version with a clip, which would basically be a penBBS 309, but with that Moonman nib they've done a great job with.

I'd also like to see them cut down on the amount of turns to uncap the pen to less than 2. I saw on Chrisrap52's youtube video that it takes about 2 1/2 turns to uncap... That's gettin' to be a little too much for me.