Some Purple Inks

LobsterRoll

I like writing in purple and wanted to expand my current ink collection (I have J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune and Nemosine Alpha Centauri), so I recently bought some samples to try. I thought I'd share the quick writing I did to compare the colors. I used 3 pens, dipped the nibs in the ink, then rinsed and dried the nibs a little before switching colors. So the colors may not look as they would if the pen were filled properly.

Paper is Tomoe River. Photos were taken under artificial lighting. I didn't attempt to do any color correcting.

fpn_1575865736__fullpage_lighting2.jpg

fpn_1575865747__deatramentis_aubergine_2

fpn_1575865760__jherbin_poussieredelune_

fpn_1575865789__kwz_gummiberry_2.jpg

fpn_1575865803__rohrerandklingner_cassia

fpn_1575865768__kobe_18sannomiyapansy_2.

fpn_1575865783__kobe_62nunobikilavender_

fpn_1575865776__kobe_56rokkoshichidanka_

fpn_1575865797__nemosine_alphacentauri_2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LobsterRoll

• inkstainedruth

• amberleadavis

• sansenri

Thank you for sharing your purple comparisons! I really appreciate the comparison of the Kobe inks.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for sharing your purple comparisons! I really appreciate the comparison of the Kobe inks.

You're welcome! This was my first time trying Kobe inks, and I found them very interesting.

I have 2 of the ones you featured (Nemosine Alpha Centauri and J Herbin Poussiere de Lune). I really like the looks of the R&K Cassia.

Posted Image

I have 2 of the ones you featured (Nemosine Alpha Centauri and J Herbin Poussiere de Lune). I really like the looks of the R&K Cassia.

I like those two a lot! I'm not sure I'm doing ink sampling the right way; I ended up just wanting all of the samples I bought. R&K Cassia looks very nice and seems well-behaved from the limited amount I've used it so far.

My favorite ink is Sailor Kobe Suma Purple.

I looked at some reviews. That looks like a very nice color. Agh, I think I may add it to the wish list.

Thanks for the purple review. Also noteworthy is good old Waterman (Tender) purple. It's one of the most well-behaved inks I have.

I've seen several comments around praising Waterman purple, and it seems like their inks are well-behaved in general. I almost got a sample with this batch, but then figured I'd probably just get a whole bottle at some point. Thank you for letting me know your experience with the ink!

Thanks for this. I've tried a few of these (not a fan of Poussiere de Lune, but I like D'A Aubergine a lot. And forgot that I have a bottle of Nemosine Alpha Centauri (which I've never actually opened :headsmack:). Don't have KWZI (standard) Gummiberry but love their IG Gummiberry.

And the Kobe inks look interesting. I have a bunch of Kobe inks on my wish list, but somehow have never pulled the lever on them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for this. I've tried a few of these (not a fan of Poussiere de Lune, but I like D'A Aubergine a lot. And forgot that I have a bottle of Nemosine Alpha Centauri (which I've never actually opened :headsmack:). Don't have KWZI (standard) Gummiberry but love their IG Gummiberry.

And the Kobe inks look interesting. I have a bunch of Kobe inks on my wish list, but somehow have never pulled the lever on them....

Doesn't seem like you can get Nemosine Alpha Centauri anymore, so maybe you could consider your unopened bottle a mint collector's item :lol:. I'm inconsistent with using and cleaning my pens, so I haven't tried any iron gall inks yet, but I've been curious about the KWZI ones. This was my first time trying Kobe inks too, they seem to have very nice shading.

R & K Cassia continues to be my favorite purple.

Cassia does look nice

how does it behave? does it flow well? I'm usually rather worried to find inks that are too dry for my liking

I'm very, very slowly going through and trying each of these in pens, and will probably post reviews when I do. So far, I've only got one of these purples inked, not Cassia yet. So I'm afraid I can't answer about my experience with the behavior yet. But it's very pretty, so Cassia is next on my list!

Thank you. I love comparisons.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

I just wanted you to know that I came back to this again because I love purple inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You got yourself a great palette of purples!

I seldom use purple inks, but just happen to have a pen inked with purple ink at the moment - Iroshizuku Jurojin - so I thought I'd share a quick picture:

20200317-161508.jpg

I actually have none of the inks you showed, and none of my purples are on your comparison; so I'd be glad to send you a kind of CRV if you want to see a few other purples - especially as I find them really hard to photograph

Edited by EBGBs

Doesn't seem like you can get Nemosine Alpha Centauri anymore, so maybe you could consider your unopened bottle a mint collector's item :lol:. I'm inconsistent with using and cleaning my pens, so I haven't tried any iron gall inks yet, but I've been curious about the KWZI ones. This was my first time trying Kobe inks too, they seem to have very nice shading.

Too late....

I do like the ink, though, it's a nice medium purple that doesn't lean red or blue.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You got yourself a great palette of purples!

I seldom use purple inks, but just happen to have a pen inked with purple ink at the moment - Iroshizuku Jurojin - so I thought I'd share a quick picture:

20200317-161508.jpg

I actually have none of the inks you showed, and none of my purples are on your comparison; so I'd be glad to send you a kind of CRV if you want to see a few other purples - especially as I find them really hard to photograph

Is that one of the LE inks to go with the special set of makie-e pens that Pilot did a year or two ago? I had been eyeing that one, but hesitated at the time on the price and availability.