Refilling Cartridges

secrep

I have a number of empty, used Waterman ink cartridges. I understand they can be refilled using a syringe (which I have as well). I also have several bottles of Waterman ink. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about how to do this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Left FPN

• secrep

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to refill Parker cartridges. A number of people said when I asked (back when I first joined FPN) that they would seal refilled cartridges with a glue gun. When I did it I used 100% silicone caulk (the stuff you use around bathtubs). It was super cheap, but I'll never go through the huge tube, especially now when I try to use converters as much as possible for c/c pens instead.

The simple way is to have some way to keep the cartridge upright while you're filling it with the syringe (and I would NOT use anything else -- you will need something with a needle tip to control the flow). And fill it up just enough that when you put the ink in, there won't be overflow spilling out when you attach it to the back of the feed.

Beyond that, I'm afraid that I don't have enough experience with Waterman pens (and had trouble getting a replacement converter that actually fit correctly, with the one Waterman pen I DO own).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have been doing this since I got my first cartridge pen in the early 70s...

There's really nothing to it:

get an ink bottle, a syringe with needle, and an empty cartridge from your pen.

First step wash the cartridge. The best way to do this is fill the syringe with water and squirt water into the cartridge until the water runs clear.

Second step make sure the syringe is clean and empty, possibly dry (to avoid diluting ink). I usually use two syringes one for cleaning one for filling. Disposable syringes are fine, use small barrel syringes, the smaller the syringe the more accurate the filling (if you use a big syringe it's very easy to overfill and spill ink, always work over a sink! don't say I didn't warn you...)

Third step fill the syringe to the quantity you need for your cartridge

(tip: first time fill the cartridge with water, empty the syringe, now draw water out of the cartridge with the syringe, the filling volume will tell you approx how much ink you will need to fill that cartridge)

Fill the syringe with ink, now fill the cartridge (over the sink...) go slowly.

Keep a cloth or paper tissue handy in case you need it.

You're done.

Don't overfill to avoid ink being spilled when you attach the converter to the section, as advised by Ruth.

Don't worry too much about using a blunt syringe as long as you've got firm hands... I've been using ordinary disposable syringes since 40 years and never got hurt...

Always keep your syringes clean to avoid contaminating ink.

You really just need one cartridge that you can refill many times. After some time however the opening of the cartridge wears out and the cartridge becomes loose. When that happens sacrifice a new ink filled cartridge, and then refill that until it gets loose again...

Edited by sansenri

You might not see it but when cartridges are empty of ink they still contain a small plastic ball. When new the cartridge mouth is sealed with the ball and following installation it breakers away and floats about in the ink to break up air bubbles. Don't lose it.

post-42786-0-63497300-1575784499_thumb.jpg

I did some messing about a few years ago, when we were discussing converters with ink flow issues. So I put a cartridge ball inside one for experiments. IIRC it did a good job.

post-42786-0-57574700-1575784830_thumb.jpg

post-42786-0-07094300-1575784849_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you can find one use the longest and thickest needle you can find since the thin ones might clog up with dried up ink. Nevertheless you need to rinse the needle thorougly after reflling the cartridge.

I never seal them, just refill and use.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I never seal them, just refill and use.

That works if you're refiling a single cartridge (or one per pen) and are going to use the pen immediately. But some people will refill extra cartridges and have them ready for when they're needed (such as having backups for a trip or when you know you're going to be doing a lot of writing. So for them, resealing the cartridges can be important.

But these days, I'd rather use converters -- even if they don't hold as much ink as a cartridge might. Of course, I'd often rather use a different type of fill system (such as a piston filler or -- in the case of my vintage Parkers -- the Vacumatic or Aerometric filler, or something like the capillary filler on a Parker 61.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

How does one reseal a cartridge...safely. Without particles of whatever is being used as the sealant from entering the feed.

I use my wife's hot glue gun. Just put a small blob on the opening of the cartridge. It sets immediately and sticks quite well, but can be popped off with a fingernail when the cartridge is needed. None of the glue remains behind. I use this trick to carry cartridges on travel - in a small ziploc bag just to be safe!

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

That works if you're refiling a single cartridge (or one per pen) and are going to use the pen immediately. But some people will refill extra cartridges and have them ready for when they're needed (such as having backups for a trip or when you know you're going to be doing a lot of writing. So for them, resealing the cartridges can be important.

Well, yes, I realize it. I am just too scared that the sealant may clog/damage the feed.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

me too, I always refill the same cartridge, if I really really need to carry a spare cartridge, I carry a new one... worst case I've used up one cartridge more...

When I need lots of ink I usually take two filled pens with me.

I used to refill Parker cartridges. A number of people said when I asked (back when I first joined FPN) that they would seal refilled cartridges with a glue gun. When I did it I used 100% silicone caulk (the stuff you use around bathtubs). It was super cheap...

I use my wife's hot glue gun. Just put a small blob on the opening of the cartridge. It sets immediately and sticks quite well, but can be popped off with a fingernail when the cartridge is needed. None of the glue remains behind. I use this trick to carry cartridges on travel - in a small ziploc bag just to be safe!

Glue gun is brilliant! I was wondering at first whether the blob of glue would be pierced by the pen upon inserting the cartridge, but BamaPen cleared that for me.

Awesome idea! Thank you both!

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Well, yes, I realize it. I am just too scared that the sealant may clog/damage the feed.

That's why I used the 100% silicone caulk. I knew that since 100% silicone grease was safe I figured that the 100% silicone caulk (the stuff that you seal gaps and cracks around your tub in the bathroom) would be okay. And certainly safer than whatever gets used in glue guns....

You only need a little bit, and then when you are ready to insert the refilled cartridge, you peel most of that off anyway. But it's hard to get in small quantities. And since I no longer do that (having switched to converters for my c/c pens) I will likely never use the tube (which is a bit larger than a standard size toothpaste tube) up....

• 2 years later...