James Purdey & Sons, Cigar Scent, Brown Ink

Pennenut

Hi,

Has anyone here bought the new Montblanc James Purdey & Sons, Cigar Scent Brown ink? If you have, can you post a writing sample and comment on the inks writing characteristics?? Thank you!

Edited by Pennenut

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Cyrille81

• Uncial

• Pennenut

Has anyone here bought the new Montblanc James Purdey & Sons, Cigar Scent Brown ink? If you have, can you post a writing sample and comment on the inks writing characteristics?? Thank you!

~ Pennenut:

This is the first that I've read anything about such an ink.

Thank you for posting this information here.

It may require several months for the ink to reach boutiques in the area where I work.

Tom K.

Lighter and less saturated than the Aviator ink, a touch dry but nothing concerning. When wet it's a nice hazelnut brown but dries with a stronger grey/silver aspect. Has a bit of shading. It's a nice ink. Scent is very, very subtle, almost non existent.

A bottle of a decent enough bottle of 700ml single malt whisky will cost you £30-£40.

A bottle of MB ink that smells of single whisky (there's no taxable alcohol in it) will cost you £45 for 30ml.

It would be cheaper to buy a bottle of Waterman Havana brown ink (or any other brown ink) and a bottle of whisky - and dab a little of the (real0 whisky on the paper as you write.

Lighter and less saturated than the Aviator ink, a touch dry but nothing concerning. When wet it's a nice hazelnut brown but dries with a stronger grey/silver aspect. Has a bit of shading. It's a nice ink. Scent is very, very subtle, almost non existent.

~ Uncial:

Thank you for this helpful information.

I look forward to acquiring it whenever it's available in a local boutique.

Tom K.

A bottle of a decent enough bottle of 700ml single malt whisky will cost you £30-£40.

A bottle of MB ink that smells of single whisky (there's no taxable alcohol in it) will cost you £45 for 30ml.

It would be cheaper to buy a bottle of Waterman Havana brown ink (or any other brown ink) and a bottle of whisky - and dab a little of the (real0 whisky on the paper as you write.

However a bottle of ink generally will not be bad for your health, unlike a bottle of whiskey ;) And a bottle of more interesting ink than Havana Brown may lift up one's spirits equally well. So I'd rather pay for a bottle of ink!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

~ Uncial:

Thank you for this helpful information.

I look forward to acquiring it whenever it's available in a local boutique.

Tom K.

Tom, it should be available quite soon as it's been out for a while.

Thank you Pennenut for the info of this new ink. I was not aware MB planned to release a new Purdey ink with different color and scent. And thank you Uncial for your feedback. I hope when I will go at Paris later this month the Champs-Elysées store will have it in stock to buy one bottle to start and compare with the first one I really love in the Purdey pen.

The Purdey Cigar ink is available on the Montblanc U.S. website.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

The Purdey Cigar ink is available on the Montblanc U.S. website.

fpn_1575742167__site.png

~ jmccarty3:

Thanks to your tip, I checked the Montblanc China Web site.

James Purdey & Sons Cigar is indeed listed there.

However...

As is customary here, it's unavailable at present, as indicated by no small green product availability dots.

A number of inks are listed, and have been listed for months, yet never available.

One becomes accustomed to such realities.

For that reason, it's often more efficient to ask for Fritz Schimpf in Germany to provide products.

I'll make a point of visiting the largest local Montblanc boutique to determine whether or not they're received James Purdey and Sons Cigar.

Like Cyrille, I hadn't heard of this ink being released until reading this thread.

Tom K.

Hi Unical,

Thank you very much for elaborating on the characteristics of the James Purdey & Sons, Cigar Scent, Brown ink. Can you provide us with a writing sample???

This "cigar scent" they've bottled... is it Before or After *smoking*?

Tobacco smells nice like leather... but stinks after being lit :P

You are lucky because on the Belgium MB site it is sold 50€.

Cyrille, I am thinking of purchasing purdey FP. Can you tell me how it has held up over time? Any chipping of ruthenium plating? What is your favorite part of the pen? Has the wood aged in color/variation since purchase? How are you caring for the pen if so at all.

Thank you.

Steve

Edited by desidude02

A wise person once said, "What you see depends on where you sit."

In the FP world, what you pay often depends on where you live.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

A wise person once said, "What you see depends on where you sit."

~ jmccarty3:

Even if comfortably seated on a light beam traversing the firmament...

Tom K.

Cyrille, I am thinking of purchasing purdey FP. Can you tell me how it has held up over time? Any chipping of ruthenium plating? What is your favorite part of the pen? Has the wood aged in color/variation since purchase? How are you caring for the pen if so at all.

Thank you.

Steve

Hello,

I have no problem with the pen and it is still the same from the first day, no variation of the wood or of the ruthenium plating. The pen is very well balanced and a pleasure to use. It is one of my daily pen and favorites from the day 1 with the Purdey ink. I have no favorite part of the pen, I really like it in is global design and I really like how the nib writes. I wanted to exchange the M nib for another size but as I really like how it writes on all type of paper I decided to keep it. I haven't any specific caring for the pen, only put it in a MB pouch when I take it with me outside of home.

Edited by Cyrille

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have no problem with the pen and it is still the same from the first day, no variation of the wood or of the ruthenium plating. The pen is very well balanced and a pleasure to use. It is one of my daily pen and favorites from the day 1 with the Purdey ink. I have no favorite part of the pen, I really like it in is global design and I really like how the nib writes. I wanted to exchange the M nib for another size but as I really like how it writes on all type of paper I decided to keep it. I haven't any specific caring for the pen, only put it in a MB pouch when I take it with me outside of home.

Thanks for your comments, I purchased the purdey and it sure is purdeyyy. Do you have the single malt ink or cigar ink of mb?? Would enjoy a comparison with standard MB toffee brown ink.

There are a couple of pens that I have bought, thanks to your amazing pictures which have changed my views. Thank you for such kindness.

Steve