Exchanging A Lamy 2000 Nib For Different Size, Response From Usa Service Center

neverforget

Background: I have a Lamy 2000 Fine which I absolutely love however, I find the line produced to be too thick and was interested in sending the pen to Lamy for a nib "swap" for an Extra Fine nib. I am in the United States and this pen and nib are working flawlessly.

I've seen multiple reports on this forum of people sending their L2K for this swap and in general it seems the service center performed the swap free of charge, so I figured I should try this out. I proceeded to contact Lamy USA to get the shipping information and confirmation that they will do this and unfortunately the response I received contradicts posts here. As such, I thought others may be interested in the info sent to me (response is from Bob who manages service for Lamy USA/UL Brands):

The nibs must be certified that they can be returned to inventory and sold as new, unused and undamaged nibs.

We cannot be held to what the customer is told by others as the situations may be different and it could have occurred with the previous distributor.

Yes, we do offer a nib exchange program.

"In order to exchange a nib, we must be able to evaluate and certify that the nib is in new, unused, undamaged and unscratched condition.

If the nib meets those criteria, we can do a nib exchange.

The exchange fee is $25 plus shipping."

So, it seems that either I misunderstood the experiences posted by others and/or there have been recent changes to Lamy USA policies/distributors.

Anyways, hope this is useful to others.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• Intensity

• Mr.Rene

• neverforget

That's the response I received as well. My second Lamy EF has a very difficult nib. It's not misaligned but the grind on it is such that the "sweet spot" is extremely difficult to find, and even when writing carefully ink can skip. It also writes wider than my previous 2000 EF. For the past two days I've been trying all kinds of rotations and orientations, and even inks, after watching a Goulet video on "Lamy quality control" dedicated specifically to the Lamy 2000 sweet spot issue. Currently using Lamy Petrol, which is my "magic problem-solving ink for difficult nibs". It's helped but not eliminated inevitable skipping. At this point I don't even know if Lamy repair would accept my pen for nib replacement, since I did ink it in attempts to get it to work. I want to replace it for another EF or even OM that might help me avoid the whole sweet spot deal. $25 + shipping, I'm thinking I might just send my pen to a nibmeister at that point and get a guaranteed good result.

My previous Lamy 2000 -- also a recent production one, from past May, had no such issues. I actually didn't know what the whole "sweet spot" deal was about until I got this second Lamy 2000 EF. and I wondered if the issue was overblown. I respect the Goulet team for making that explanatory video, but I've now definitely experienced a well-tuned 2000 EF nib and one that's very difficult to write with in a span of less than a year.

P.S.: the little metal "ears" that hold the cap to the body are helpful with quick nib alignment and finding the sweet spot. In my case, when I orient the pen such that one of those ears is under my right pointing fingertip, the sweet spot is almost exactly in that orientation.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I have a Lamy 2000 Fine which I absolutely love however, I find the line produced to be too thick and was interested in sending the pen to Lamy for a nib "swap" for an Extra Fine nib.

Have you tried a drier ink? Some inks are well-flowing, which is compounded by Lamy 2000 writing fairly wetly already. I've found that drier inks produce better result with Lamy 2000 if you want to constrain line width. I've tried Lamy Petrol with my 2000, which works very well. When I had tried a couple Sailor inks, the flow was too generous and could produce lines up to Western Medium with Lamy 2000 EF on some paper. Since the nib is fairly rigid and some people push it into paper, soft paper can also increase line thickness. I get thicker lines on smooth Japanese paper and fairly thin lines on lightly textured, uncoated Fabriano Bioprima.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

So, it seems that either I misunderstood the experiences posted by others and/or there have been recent changes to Lamy USA policies/distributors.

Please cite the Lamy document that states they will do free nib swaps and the nib conditions that are acceptable for the swap.

Please cite the Lamy document that states they will do free nib swaps and the nib conditions that are acceptable for the swap.

Lamy, like many manufacturers, leave warranty details to the local distributors. For us in Europe, this is Lamy themselves, who are very generous, however in other markets it's different. Net result is the OP is stuck by what the present US distributor has put down in writing/print.

Lamy, like many manufacturers, leave warranty details to the local distributors. For us in Europe, this is Lamy themselves, who are very generous, however in other markets it's different. Net result is the OP is stuck by what the present US distributor has put down in writing/print.

Then why did the OP go directly to Lamy asking for a nib replacement that they did not offer?

Please cite the Lamy Local Distributor's document that states they will do free nib swaps and the nib conditions that are acceptable for the swap.

Lamy can not be held responsible or "to blame" for for a "replacement" policy that was not their's.

If the Local Distributor promised a swap then they should be held responsible for the swap.

If the Local Distributor did not promise a swap then the OP should not be looking for one.

If someone else is spreading information that Lamy was offering a swap then they should step up and and say who was making this offer.

Lamy USA is the local USA distributor, I thought... I dont get the harsh tones of some replies here. The OP was simply clarifying the current nib exchange policy for Lamy USA for anyone who might find it relevant. I dont see the OP placing any blame or making any demands. It was relevant for me too, as I had recently run into the same situation, having contacted Bob and receiving the same response.

I thought I read a quote in the first post. Perhaps I was confused.

Perhaps the quote would have been clearer if the OP would have stated the chapter, verse, year of publication and edition the quote was from.

• 3 weeks later...

Any positive customer service from Lamy only comes from one of their European service centers! The U.S. Service people do not believe in good customer relations at all.

Have you considered talking with a nibmeister, such as John Mottishaw to see if he can improve your nib. That may be the easiest and perhaps least expensive option.

Edited by DrDebG

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Any positive customer service from Lamy only comes from one of their European service centers! The U.S. Service people do not believe in good customer relations at all.

My experience with the US Customer Service was just the opposite.

The 2000 I bought used and arrived damaged was repaired completely, quickly, and for free.