The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodlers: Tchaikovsky

tchaikovsky noodlers ink review purple russian

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ptrB

ptrB

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 19:33

TchaikovskyNoodlers%2B-%2Bbottle.jpg

I noticed a review of this Tchaikovsky ink by Noodler's was request. It's part of the Russian musician series. I couldn't find out why they associate Tchaikovsky with purple, Diamine has a blue Tchaikovsky ink, but having an ink named after you is a great tribute in almost any color.

Being a purple ink this ink is useful only for personal use of course and should be kept far from the work-space. The most striking think about this ink is the HUGE difference between a dip pen (1mm OB nib) and a regular medium nib on a Parker Sonnet. The color changes from a lowly saturated, bland purple into a well-shaded deep purple.

The ink itself is a typical Noodler's ink. It does what it has to do, no-frills. The color is neither ugly nor beautiful, the bottle is chock-full (careful), the ink dries quickly enough and it behaves decently in almost every pen and on every paper. Plus, it's not very expensive. Show through is minimal, shading is low, water resistance is high.

The dip pen was a surprise, and so was comparing it to other inks. Based on the bottle I thought it was quite similar to Herbin's Poussiere de Lune. The q-tip swab shows it's not. It's more blueish and paler. Lavender Purple is very different, that wasn't a surprise and so is larme de cassis.

I will probably use this ink more often... but it will be with a dip pen with a broad (oblique) nib!

TchaikovskyNoodlers%2B-%2Bink%2Breview.j

Written on Original Crown Mill Vellum paper

Edited by ptrB, 05 December 2019 - 19:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 20:19

Nice review of an interesting ink. "Purples" are almost "everywhere" these days, ranging from reddish to bluish but this one's greyishness is a bit unique. I sure go along with your mentioning that dip pens and regular nibs can leave a huge difference in depth as in richness/saturation on paper. One reason why I, too, like using both sources for an ink comparison. 

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:32

Interesting color.  Looks like a softer version of Noodler's North African Violet in the dip pen, while the other writing sample reminds me of one of the Robert Oster purples (one of the "Purple [music]" named  inks).

I've never tried any of the Russian series inks, but I could see myself trying this one, although the dry time doesn't seem so great.

Thanks for the review.  And, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 bad_girl_bex

bad_girl_bex

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:23

Definitely reminiscent of one of the Robert Ostlers. Probably Purple Rock. If you're looking for a nice, understated grey/purple that's suitable for the office, I'm currently loving the RO - Summer Storm which has a fabulously brumous shade to it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tchaikovsky, noodlers, ink, review, purple, russian

Sponsored Content

|