Red Ink As An Indulgence For New York Shakers In 1810

AAAndrew

My research into the US steel dip pen industry has taken me to the early Shaker communities in upstate New York. It seems at one point one of the congregation got into trouble for making red ink. It was condemned because it was not in line with their life of austerity and simplicity. Variously described as "superfluities" "curiosities" "needless notions" it seems that some were misusing it, and that's why it was restricted.

Isaac Youngs, one of the best known of these early Shaker inventors and a manufacturer of everything from clothing to clocks to architecture, writes that he had been asked by some of the boys he was teaching how to make red ink. He thought it better to make some himself and give them just a little bit rather than show them how to make it themselves. "I thought it not proper to let them [make it themselves], for they might make great labor of it to no profit - so I thought best to make some and give them - and though I expected to use some myself, I had always been reserved in the use of it; not to write any sacred thing with it. But I have observed that there has been considerable of a use of it for fancy's sake; this is what Mother [Lucy, the spiritual head of the Shakers] dislikes.And I think had it not been for such unsuitable treatment of ink, it would not have been rejected."

Unfortunately we don't have his recipe for red ink.

So, write with some red ink today and be fancy!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaronWulfraed

• sombrueil

• AAAndrew

• bemon

Interesting stuff! I always like to see how society has changed it's ideas of what's normal and acceptable over time.

The Shakers were a very austere group dedicated to an intense spirituality in community. Monastic in feeling but with that Protestant revulsion towards ornament.

Red ink was of course used in (and is still so used) in Catholic lectionaries, breviaries and missals to indicate directions. Hence "rubric".

Google came up with this recipe for red ink in case you're having "needless notions"

"This instructable shows how to make a simple red ink, similar to the sort used throughout history. I am using a recipe from Pliny the Elder's Natural Histories. The recipe calls for gum Arabic, water and cinnabar in nearly equal parts."

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

<ouch>

Given the current treatment of mercury (breaking an old thermometer qualifies as a hazmat superfund cleanup)... Making ink out of mercury sulfide may not be easy to do...

This was super interesting to read! I bought some red ink (Pelikan 4001) recently to write a letter, I hope they don't take it the wrong way! :)

I've used Pinkly! several times this past week, I suppose that counts as frivolity.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I've used Pinkly! several times this past week, I suppose that counts as frivolity.

:yikes: Extravagance and conspicuous consumption!

Pity Levenger discontinued that color... I've got about a third of a bottle left and have avoided using it due to rarity.

Thanks for posting this, AAAndrew. I enjoy your in-depth research on pens and have always found the Shakers deeply interesting as well.

Sombrueil's point about red ink in Catholic texts is excellent too. The Shakers would have been horrified by any inadvertent lapse into Popery.

Note to self: Need to buy some scandalous or devout (depending on my mood) scarlet red ink. The reddest I have at present is Diamine Oxblood.

Sometimes I think that if college students had to brew the beer they drink, they would appreciate it more, drink less, and learn biology, chemistry, and lab technique in the process. But it's probably not a good idea.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Sometimes I think that if college students had to brew the beer they drink, they would appreciate it more, drink less, and learn biology, chemistry, and lab technique in the process. But it's probably not a good idea.

don't try it too hard, cause in my ( long ago ) college years, we actually did that ( and yes it taste better whether its real or not ) ; but then I recall I've done many stupid, crazy and needless to say somewhat anti-social things in those days.

as for the red ink that reminds me of the Brits obsession with green ink

Edited by Mech-for-i