The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A Dark Brown/chocolate That Will Flow Well In Modern Flex Nibs

brown lubrication

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jonathan7007

jonathan7007

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 23:41

Thanks again everyone. I'm truly focused on the color and darkness range I want.

I like knowing it takes a close look to tell, after you have a glimmer that it isn't "black", exactly *what* it is... so dark, dark browns that flow well under flex and stubby nibs...

Jonathan

Sponsored Content

#22 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:01

Then you definitely dont want a lot of browns mentioned so far, as they are not so dark, unless ultra concentrated. Maruzen Athena Sepia can be that off-black dark. Iroshizuku Yama Guri is very dark, but kind of grayish greenish brown, not very chocolatey. Perhaps Private Reserve Chocolat or Diamine Chocolate. Private Reserve Ebony Brown: very dark brown-black.

Edited by Intensity, 09 December 2019 - 01:05.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#23 jonathan7007

jonathan7007

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:08

Yes I knew this all along. If you read through the thread, there's lots of rooting for different choices of color or saturation than I asked about. I enjoy their enthusiasm, but like you I felt the most helpful info was backing for the Diamine Chocolate.

As I am not confident that a new bottle of PR Chocolat will act like my 10-, 15-year-old specimen I'm going with Diamine. I have a couple of other Diamine colors I like.It seems to work well in a bunch of my nibs.

I just have to hunt down stock if I'm willing to support a new retailer. I'm loyal to a few and try to keep it that way. I can wait a bit.

#24 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2019 - 15:37

Thanks again everyone. I'm truly focused on the color and darkness range I want.

I like knowing it takes a close look to tell, after you have a glimmer that it isn't "black", exactly *what* it is... so dark, dark browns that flow well under flex and stubby nibs...

Jonathan

Another vote for Macassar, it's distinctly darker than Chocolate and truly 'brown', leaning neither yellow or red.

But if you're looking for something that takes a closer look to see it isn't black, Yama-guri would come closer..

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#25 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 00:57

Alternately mix your own.

I start with Watermans (Havana/Absolute) Brown... which is more tan cigar than dark chocolate.

To Half a cartridge of that, add 4-5 drops of Watermans Audacious Red & 1 drop Watermans Black.

Or just 5:1 of their Red & Black... gives a dark black-coffee rather than a dark blood red as youd expect.

#26 jonathan7007

jonathan7007

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 21:01

Alternately mix your own.

I start with Watermans (Havana/Absolute) Brown... which is more tan cigar than dark chocolate.

To Half a cartridge of that, add 4-5 drops of Watermans Audacious Red & 1 drop Watermans Black.

Or just 5:1 of their Red & Black... gives a dark black-coffee rather than a dark blood red as youd expect.

Mixing is fun but I need the wetness/lubrication so would also seek consistency of formulation. I think some of the Diamine Chocolate Brown is back in stock at one of my places. Not the 80ml but...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brown, lubrication

Sponsored Content

|