The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc: James A. Purdey & Sons, Single Malt

ink review whisky montblanc brown orange

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ptrB

ptrB

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 20:49

JamesAPurdey%2B-%2Bbottle.jpg

James Purdey & Sons Single Malt scented ink was released in 2018 by Montblanc as part of a series in collaboration with James A. Purdey, a gunmaker and hunting lifestyle brand. The ink surprised me! Single malt scented ink sounded at first like a (overpriced) gimmick and to some extend it is of course. But the color is a deep, beautiful orange-brown with amazing shading. Definitely a fall color which can be used in both a business environment (note taking) as well as for personal writing and correspondence. Be careful though, when opening the bottle or the pen cap the whisky scent is quite strong. It might be frowned upon at 830am when the meeting starts...

The scent fades quickly though, within minutes. After 20-30 minutes the smell of the paper itself always wins.

The ink behaves like most Montblanc inks I own. Perfect behavior in a broad, wide nib. A bit dry and with a strong dislike for TWSBI pens. The shading is wonderful, no feathering, and no show-through. Drying time is well below average at roughly 22 seconds. As can be seen, the ink doesn't really appreciate water.

This ink is the most bright, orange-brown ink I have. SBRE brown (P.W. Akkerman) is not far off, Comte de l'Or (produced by Diamine) is much more gold (of course), Herbin's café des Îles and Caroube de Chypre have far less orange in them and are a more true brown.

The ink will definitely gain some attention in the office, but I will use it for a while. I really like it.

JamesAPurdey%2B-%2Binkreview.jpg

N.B. Review written on Original Crown Mill Vellum paper

Edited by ptrB, 03 December 2019 - 20:52.

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 21:44

Great! Reminds me immediately of Sazerac, which is of course lighter, not so brown, not so red. But there is some ingredient there with that richness in it. I'll have to get some (again in spite of my being turned off by MB's current pricing).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 00:10

looks very close to MB Petit Prince Red Fox... which wouldve been blended at around same vintage ~2018

Wonder if they got aged in same barrel :)

#4 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 00:39

Thanks for the review! I like the color, fits with autumn :-)

#5 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:24

Wonderful review! Thank you!
Posted Image

#6 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:36

~  ptrB:

Thank you for preparing this review.

Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt has performed well for me.

It's become a favorite.

Tom K.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:57

Thanks for the review.

It would be interesting to see a side by side between this ink and Diamine Anniversary Terra Cotta (judging from how the photo or scan appears on my screen, Purdey's Single malt might be a little more red/orange).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 ptrB

ptrB

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:00

looks very close to MB Petit Prince Red Fox... which wouldve been blended at around same vintage ~2018

Wonder if they got aged in same barrel :)

I have both inks. I haven't used the Red Fox in a while (even though I absolutely love that ink). There are similarities for sure, but to me James Purdey is a lot more brown and deep. Triggered by your suggestion I made a quick comparison with a poster nib on lalo verge paper.
James Purdey is far more brown/orange. Red Fox is Orange/Red/Brown.

IMG_4907.JPG

Edited by ptrB, 04 December 2019 - 09:32.

#9 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:10

This seems to be a "burnt orange" kind of colour. Makes me think of Private Reserve Shoreline Gold or KWZI Monarch.

#10 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 14:18

I have both inks. I haven't used the Red Fox in a while (even though I absolutely love that ink). There are similarities for sure, but to me James Purdey is a lot more brown and deep. Triggered by your suggestion I made a quick comparison with a poster nib on lalo verge paper.James Purdey is far more brown/orange. Red Fox is Orange/Red/Brown. attachicon.gif IMG_4907.JPG

thank you, much obliged.

I think my allergies to MB-squarebottle-tax precludes me owning either red-brown :)

#11 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 17:41

Super review that shows the nuances of this ink really well. I like the looks of it a lot. Can anyone comment on how it works with F or M nibs? Does it still keep that really nice shading and saturated look?

#12 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 20:28

I've been wondering--how does it compare to Kobe Arima Amber or Montblanc Red Chalk?

#13 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,986 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 00:28

Super review that shows the nuances of this ink really well. I like the looks of it a lot. Can anyone comment on how it works with F or M nibs? Does it still keep that really nice shading and saturated look?

Does well. There's a Cigar version too. A touch dry and the scent is barely there but a very nice brown.

#14 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 22:55

For those who have used both Purdey and Leonardo Red Chalk, which is closer to Red Chalk, Purdey or SBRE Brown ink?

#15 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,986 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 23:35

I thought there was a doppelganger for red chalk in the Monteverde ink range?

#16 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:11

I thought there was a doppelganger for red chalk in the Monteverde ink range?

I tried it--Red Velvet was suggested--but  it didn't compare. I wonder if Canyon Rust or another color would be closer. The color itself is pretty close, but doesn't have the same shading properties. Overall, I just didn't like the consistency of that Monteverde ink either.

#17 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:26

~ ptrB:

Thank you for the handwriting sample showing both James A. Purdey & Sons Single Malt and Petit Prince Red Fox.

That's useful for those of us who don't have both inks.

Tom K.

#18 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:33

Thank you for the great review!  It looks very interesting. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, review, whisky, montblanc, brown, orange

Sponsored Content

|