The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Targa Identification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vicpen123

vicpen123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:09

I have recently acquired at a pen show a vintage Sheaffer Targa which appears to me to be brushed stainless steel with chrome white dot clip, 14k gold inlaid nib and older style original squeeze bar converter.

Two questions.

How do I confirm if it ss and not brushed chrome?

Did Sheaffer produce a Targa with chrome trim and gold nib or do I have a mixed bag?

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:05

Get it looked at by a metallurgy lab, I guess, if you want to leave no doubt about it?

Unfortunately, www.sheaffertarga.com appears inaccessible at the moment, so it's pretty hard to for you to pore over the information on that site and make a best guess (without any actual confirmation as to the answer to your first question).

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 14:12

Check SheafferTarga.com for the list of models and finishes. Its a great resource.

Not all of the brushed finishes are stainless steel.  Some are brushed, plated brass.  The brushed stainless was introduced in 1980, the brushed chrome 1989.

You do get to where you can see the difference in the finish, but the tip off is that the brushed chrome pens have a metal thread bushing on the barrel, while the brushed stainless pens do not - the threads are part of the barrel liner.  Having said that, a standard repair that I make if the barrel liner cracks or breads, is to remove part of the plastic barrel liner and install one of the metal thread bushings.    But in general I think its safe to say that the stainless barrels don't have the thread bushing.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 vicpen123

vicpen123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 23:48

Thanks for the guidance.

I have checked the site and cannot find a 1000/1001 with CP trim and gold nib. In both brushed chrome or brushed ss.

Do I have  frankenpen?

Edited by vicpen123, 03 December 2019 - 23:49.

#5 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:49

True, chrome trim should have a steel nib.  Both nibs write equally well, but if I got one of these with a gold nib, I wouldn't complain.   The difference in value is not insignificant.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#6 vicpen123

vicpen123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:46

Thanks.

I think the cost was based on steel nib so I will not complain and enjoy the pen.

Sponsored Content

|