The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Pen Day - Platinum President

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:22

The paper is Tomoe River 52g/m2 in a Galen Leather Co. 'The Everyday Book'.

UxQ9Uq0.jpg

zwvB7PV.jpg

382jSOr.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:27

It might be a function of the ink, but it doesn't put down a line much wider than my other President that's got a John Mottishaw-ground medium cursive italic nib (which is a lovely nib). I bought the yellow one with a broad nib with the intention of getting it ground, but I'm not sure now, I like how this writes. I think I'll live with this for a while, see if it grows on me.

2I8hHds.jpg

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:29

I have an F in burgundy and I don't love it. It's a good writer, but the fit and finish body feels really cheap for it being a flagship pen. It feels very dated, 90's plastic-ey.

They don't even have the slip n seal (though the cap seals fine, again, it's the flagship pen) 

And the nib just looks kinda dinky on it compared to how dramatic the 3776's is.

For the money, I'd go with a sailor 1911L, the equivalent pilot, or just stick with the 3776

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 14:46

I have an F in burgundy and I don't love it. It's a good writer, but the fit and finish body feels really cheap for it being a flagship pen. It feels very dated, 90's plastic-ey.

They don't even have the slip n seal (though the cap seals fine, again, it's the flagship pen) 

And the nib just looks kinda dinky on it compared to how dramatic the 3776's is.

For the money, I'd go with a sailor 1911L, the equivalent pilot, or just stick with the 3776

Thanks for the positive feedback..... :-P

#5 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 16:10

I just realized that the ink in the yellow President is Visconti Turquoise.

#6 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 16:46

It might be a function of the ink, but it doesn't put down a line much wider than my other President that's got a John Mottishaw-ground medium cursive italic nib (which is a lovely nib). I bought the yellow one with a broad nib with the intention of getting it ground, but I'm not sure now, I like how this writes. I think I'll live with this for a while, see if it grows on me.

It's not you...

On the left: an Izumo with "President" B nib

On the right: A President model with M nib

Essentially the same line on paper, even though the tipping is obviously much larger on the B (expand the image for better view)

fpn_1564616425__tale-of-2-nibs.jpg

Edited by BaronWulfraed, 03 December 2019 - 16:47.

#7 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 18:04

It's not you...

On the left: an Izumo with "President" B nib

On the right: A President model with M nib

Essentially the same line on paper, even though the tipping is obviously much larger on the B (expand the image for better view)

fpn_1564616425__tale-of-2-nibs.jpg

Thanks BaronWulfraed. :-)

Sponsored Content

|