Homo Sapiens Inner Cap Problem

CapQb

The inner cap on my HS Bronze Age pen has begun to stick when I uncap the pen. When I remove the pen from the cap, instead of the inner cap immediately and smoothly releasing, there is a delay of a second or two, and then the inner cap releases, making a very audible popping sound. It sounds as though the inner spring mechanism is sticking somehow. Is there a way to fix this myself, or does the pen have to be shipped of to Coles of London? Thanks for any info......

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh

• readytotalk

• CapQb

• Freddy

Since no one else responded....

Perhaps a simple problem is ink dried in the cap.

Tried just rinsing it out??

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for necroposting, but I have had the same trouble some time ago (inner cap was completely stuck), and as far as I concern, this was caused by rusty spring pushing the inner cap from inside.

I think some water could get inside the cap after rinsing, and then cause that rust.

I could not use neither ultrasonic cleaner nor chemical rust remover to keep brass and plastic safe, so I have used a WD-40 several times, which solved the rust... and the problem.

The hardest part of procedure was cleaning the cap from oil))

Regards, Alexey

Sorry for necroposting, but I have had the same trouble some time ago (inner cap was completely stuck), and as far as I concern, this was caused by rusty spring pushing the inner cap from inside.

I think some water could get inside the cap after rinsing, and then cause that rust.

I could not use neither ultrasonic cleaner nor chemical rust remover to keep brass and plastic safe, so I have used a WD-40 several times, which solved the rust... and the problem.

The hardest part of procedure was cleaning the cap from oil))

You might try silicone spray if it happens again, or on another pen. I don't think the silicone will interact with the plastic, which might be a risk with a petroleum product.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

You might try silicone spray if it happens again, or on another pen. I don't think the silicone will interact with the plastic, which might be a risk with a petroleum product.

Thanks, markh.

I agree, but silicone spray can`t solve and wash out the rust from spring, only lubricate.

In this case the problem was caused not only by lack of lubrication, but also from spring has became wider being covered with rust.

WD-40 that leaked from the cap after "injection" was almost brown, because it solves rust, not only lubricate.

Regards, Alexey

Interesting, I would have assumed (OK - hoped) that Visconti would use a metal that wouldn't corrode or rust.

In the past I thought that they made beautiful pens, but where characterized by form over function - pens that looked interesting but had problems (like yours).

I thought they had passed this point to pens that also worked well. Maybe not....

The inner cap on my HS Bronze Age pen has begun to stick when I uncap the pen. When I remove the pen from the cap, instead of the inner cap immediately and smoothly releasing, there is a delay of a second or two, and then the inner cap releases, making a very audible popping sound. It sounds as though the inner spring mechanism is sticking somehow. Is there a way to fix this myself, or does the pen have to be shipped of to Coles of London? Thanks for any info......

Rich...contact Ed Fingerman and see if he can help..if not..off to Coles....

I do not know how to correct this issue.....Therefore..no guessing.....

Fred