Safari Colours For 2020

jchch1950

Hmmm. If these really are the new colors, Mango is a lot yellower than I was expecting. Still a "maybe" until I see one for real, though. As opposed to the Violet -- that's a no brainer (pretty much like the Dark Lilac: "you had me at purple..." B)).

I actually like the colored clips. One of the things I *don't* like about the "standard" Safari colors is the clip. I know that it's really functional, but it just looks like a big annoying paperclip to me. Which is one of the things I really liked about Dark Lilac (besides the color of course) is the black nib and clip; I find the color clips to really be much more attractive looking somehow (I keep drooling at the old French Blue with the red clip, but then look at the pricetag of every one I've ever seen and go "Nope, nope, just not paying that kind of money for a Safari...").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Well, the black clip is the genuine design of the Safari. They changed to chrome clips some years ago. I guess it costs less in production.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• christof

• jchch1950

• Uffuffa

Well, the black clip is the genuine design of the Safari.

So are the Red Clips, and the Chrome, and the body color.

I like the new colors and the body colored clips.

These are the most fun pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Uhhh ohhhh....why did I look?

Whyyyyy? Woe is me!

I also just got my first Lamy pencil to commemorate a certain achievement. Where have you been all my life? Does anyone know when the new LE colors will be available in the USA? And whether I can get a pencil ✏️ in these colors???

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether it's worth wandering down to the Lamy Soho store and ask when they think the new colors will be stateside. I was in the store a couple of years ago when they first opened, and they had a display with tester pens for the Crystal inks, but the inks themselves weren't available at that point. I'm only in NYC for a couple of days, and just found out that my husband's niece from the West Coast is in town and planning on bringing the kids to lunch at my sister-in-law's. So my only shot is today, and it's already afternoon.... The trip east was sufficiently stressful (including having to drive through bad fog yesterday morning in eastern PA until we got to the Poconos) that the idea of just spending the afternoon curled up with a book sound like a good plan as well....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I did go. Too nice an afternoon to be stuck in an apartment.

Picked up a bottle of Azurite and a back up converter in case I can't get the one for my LX apart and back together again (it's gotten ink behind the piston head). Had a lovely chat with the guy working in the store this afternoon, and asked about the new Safari colors -- he said later this spring.

Then I went next door to the National Geographic Photo Gallery (really amazing photos in there -- I highly recommend it if you're in the neighborhood -- it's on the corner of W. Broadway and Prince Street, and the Lamy Soho store is just up from that.. Walked back to the subway to head back uptown, and poked around a bead store on the Avenue of the Americas for a bit and also some sort of pop-up mart on the corner of 38th Street before going back to where I'm staying. And some person as I was walking out of the subway station liked my hat.... :D

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 weeks later...

Now what nib to get on it (or swap out)? The Dark Lilac is an F, and the Ruthenium LX (which also has a black nib) is an M. I didn't like the EF I tried at a table at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of years ago. So it would be between a B and one of the stub/italic nibs, most likely....

Got a 1.1 yet? Nice with lighter ink colors ...

After my experience with the IM nib on a Pelikan M200 (a gusher even by Pelikan's standard of "wet") and the 1.1 mm stub on the TWSBI 580-ALR (which writes better upside down :o) I'm loathe to go too wide. I'm so much more used to writing with F nibs (and the occasional European -- or tuned vintage -- EF nibs) any more, that I have trouble writing large.

Every time I think I should try something like a Pilot Parallel, I get cold feet....

I thought Lamy already did Aquamarine. I have that one somewhere. I like the Mango.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think there are no pencils offered, just FP, BP and Rollerballs. Unfortunately...

C.

Thank you. My weeping shall be brief. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.