• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• christof

• jchch1950

• Uffuffa

I'm about ready to treat myself to my first Safari as a reward for a Thing.

My rationale to my SO is the Alstar is getting chipped in my pencil case...

Mango is looking very tempting! But Mango ink??!!?? I don't know what to think about that! What sort of time of year so Lamy normally release the safari SEs?

I have a similar view. I like the look of the Mango pen (but I like the look of the Violet pen even more), but Mango ink is an oddity. It comes down to where you do your writing. I use fountain pens for taking minutes in meetings and the like and I do want to be taken seriously by my colleagues (I work in a conservative profession). Mango ink is not a work-appropriate ink and I won't be buying it. Now, if only Lamy could bring itself to make matching ink for the Violet Safari, I would be a customer. That could become one of the great inks, like Lamy Petrol (which I love) and Lamy Dark Lilac (which I missed out on).

I was vaguely wondering if it would work as a highlighter.

Might but why not just buy highlighter inks?

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

It seems to be darker than a highlighter type ink, although yet to be seen in writing. Could well be a highly shading orange-yellow with a color shift, from pale to medium and yellow to orange, depending on amount on paper.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

When it comes to highlighter ink, I'm pretty much set on Pelikan M205, which I use with a calligraphy pen. I think that the Mango is too dark for highlighting and too light to write with. I will give Mango ink a miss. However, I will probably buy the Mango fountain pen.

Lamy is a lifesaver!

Many years ago, I bought matching fountain pens with beautiful resin patterns, one in multiple shades of pale pink, the other in multiple shades of purple.

Besides being, now, uncomfortable to hold, one developed an ink stain inside its cap and the other gave me multiple instances of ink burping, which prompted their retirement as writing instruments.

Last year, Lamy released the Safari Ice Pink which matches one of the colors of the retired pen and is great with its matching ink.

This year the Safari Violet is also matching one of the colors of the burping pen and its matching ink will finally get some use.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

a lifesaver!

matching ink.

Ah our life priorities :D

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Not sure if this photo is of the real thing or of pre-release fakes....! Nonetheless, pretty interesting for those who love Safaris!

9E9295FA-12DC-40D8-A023-4F5BB458E10C.jpeg

Hmmm. If these really are the new colors, Mango is a lot yellower than I was expecting. Still a "maybe" until I see one for real, though. As opposed to the Violet -- that's a no brainer (pretty much like the Dark Lilac: "you had me at purple..." B)).

I actually like the colored clips. One of the things I *don't* like about the "standard" Safari colors is the clip. I know that it's really functional, but it just looks like a big annoying paperclip to me. Which is one of the things I really liked about Dark Lilac (besides the color of course) is the black nib and clip; I find the color clips to really be much more attractive looking somehow (I keep drooling at the old French Blue with the red clip, but then look at the pricetag of every one I've ever seen and go "Nope, nope, just not paying that kind of money for a Safari...").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That photograph looks strongly overexposed and also taken in yellow indoor lighting. So color accuracy suffered. The Al-Star on the left looks far more attractive to me (wonder if that's Pacific or the new Tourmaline).