Safari Colours For 2020

jchch1950

I too would *love* a dark green Safari like that Korea Starbucks one! That color is spot on in my book. Excited for the new Al-Star color, though I'm not collecting them...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• christof

• jchch1950

• Uffuffa

Do you just care for the pen only or the whole shebang? :)

Dark Lilac seems to be when Lamy started widening their accoutrements... when the Safari appeared downunder they sold it pen & ink in a giftbox set... the first batch came with Dark Lilac ink, then later it changed to Black T50.

Few months later they made a special purple paper box just for the pen.

Later I see they've also made a purple pencilcase for Dark Lilac.

Many of which haven't been given out to a Dark a Lilac pen buyers because the pens kept selling out without buyers asking/knowing of the freebies... ;)

Since then Lamy has moved on to Three colours per last year's Safari macaron trio. (meh, no thanks)

2020 we'll be seeing other items like Lamy notebooks in the LE colour/s too.

Why giveaway freebies when you can charge rabid fans good money :)

Whole shebang? As in the entire line of Safaris? Or as in the entire Dark Lilac lineup?

I'm not a collector but I do like to match my pens with my inks whenever possible. Being a purple ink gal, I was thrilled to finally have a purple Safari to go with it. Just the pen, no dark lilac ink, pen case or journal.

Like you, I skipped the pastel trio. They looked washed out and blah compared to their vibrant older siblings. Besides, three special edition pens a year -- especially released all at once -- doesn't make them seem so special.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

A trio again.

Colours are violet, mango and aquamarine.

And heres the first photo Ive seen so far. Seems like LJZs informant was correct!

post-51331-0-24488900-1578621724_thumb.jpeg

I particularly like the purple one. If these SEs really come out with matching clip and o-ring as shown on the photo, I will be impressed. I can't wait to go the shop to put my cash on the counter. The ultimate would be a gift pack with matching ink.

From the photo, I like the aquamarine. If the violet is truly violet, which is hard to photograph and often looks blue, it would be of interest also.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I particularly like the purple one. If these SEs really come out with matching clip and o-ring as shown on the photo, I will be impressed. I can't wait to go the shop to put my cash on the counter. The ultimate would be a gift pack with matching ink.

+1 on that.

One of the things I really liked about the Dark Lilac (and the waaaay too expensive at this point French Blue) is the colored clips. Because the "standard clips" while eminently functional, just look too much like giant paperclips to me -- but somehow the colored Safari clips don't....

The Mango one I'd have to see in person (I'm not much on yellow pens, although I do have a few). Anyone who wants the Aquamarine can have the one I'm NOT buying. :rolleyes: But the Violet is a definite maybe -- I'd have to see how it looks side by side with the Dark Lilac to be sure, but if it's close in color to the image posted by Uffuffa, I can see myself getting one.

Hmmm. Now what nib to get on it (or swap out)? The Dark Lilac is an F, and the Ruthenium LX (which also has a black nib) is an M. I didn't like the EF I tried at a table at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of years ago. So it would be between a B and one of the stub/italic nibs, most likely....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For 2019 I resisted and bought only one of the macaroon colors. For 2020 I might have to get all three.

I don't know how I feel about these colors -- providing the photo accurately portraits the right hue and shade.

I'll probably get the purple one. I hope it is more like the "dark violet" Safari released a couple years ago than the blueberry shade shown above. I have a dark violet and really like it. It would be good to have a backup in case I lose one.

I'm disappointed in the mango. I had hoped it would be a tad more orange to match Apache Sunset. Though I have to admit that the color actually looks like the inside of a mango. It is definitely a prettier yellow than my neon yellow Safari. But I don't have a need for two yellow pens, much less two yellow Safari. Ditto with the aquamarine. It's a pretty shade but not one that I need. It would drive my OCD bonkers trying to decide if I should use it for blue ink or green ink.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

Hmmm. Now what nib to get on it (or swap out)? The Dark Lilac is an F, and the Ruthenium LX (which also has a black nib) is an M. I didn't like the EF I tried at a table at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of years ago. So it would be between a B and one of the stub/italic nibs, most likely....

I recommend a 1.1 (I have one of those, and a B, the 1.1 is more fun!).

Wow, really interesting colors, looks like Lamy hit it out of the park! I am so glad they went with matte texture as it adds subtlety to the colors imo.

But why 3? It seems it is becoming a trend for the Safari.

And the 2020 Al-Star, it will probably fit in right between the Bluegreen and the Pacific.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a preview of the Mango ink? It can be preordered now, but I’m not sure if I should...

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I like the colours, and really like the matte finish, but Im not really into the clip colour matching the pen. Id like to see them being a contrasting colour.

Instagram @inkysloth

I have to say that I absolutely love the Violet version. The Mango pen looks good to me too. I understand that there will be matching Mango ink. If they can do violet ink as well, I will race to the shop.