The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penbbs Hates Gold Trim?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eusorph

Eusorph

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:35

Hello, I recently bought my first Penbbs 308, but had to search very hard to find a gold trim one. It seems the owner only likes silver trim. When I asked for gold trim, I was given very lapidary answers. Am I the only one who'd like to see all Penbbs models in gold trim?

Sponsored Content

#2 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 15:32

On the contrary, i am really fond of silver / chrome trims on a pen and found gold trim not that desirable.

It's true though that PenBBS has a very limited selection of pens with gold trim, you just have to hope at this point for them to release in gold trim variant.

There are other Chinese pens with gold trim, Moonman comes to mind if you are interested in their models.

#3 JollyCynic

JollyCynic

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 17:09

The gold trim pens are fairly rare.  They usually come out in a series of runs, and only about once a year.  PenBBS is known for doing small runs, and the fans often buy out popular options within hours (sometimes minutes) of them being released through official channels.  Unofficial channels often charge a very hefty premium for the popular options.

They're not really limited editions, because they'll be around again, but it can feel like it when it comes to grabbing one.

I only have one gold trim PenBBS, which I shipped to my sister in the States because it was second-hand and shipping here was prohibitive.  She promptly lost it along with the Sea of Ice I bought with it.

#4 drathbun

drathbun

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:31

I like the gold trim on the 308 Cedar. 

DL45yGC.jpg?1

pbLCh2I.jpg?1

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes." 

- William Thackeray

#5 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:45

I would not say penBBS hate gold trim, but in general they are not in love affair with the said option ; but they do have various models done in gold trim , speaking of my own personal preference I am OK with that decision as many of the Colour / pattern just do not go well with gold trim ( just my take ) but here's one

48137551268_be6d8a5cb4_k.jpgPenBBS 308 Strawberry Ice retrofitted with custom grounded Jowo no.6, on Flickr

#6 JollyCynic

JollyCynic

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:18

I like that two-tone nib for it, too!

#7 drathbun

drathbun

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:25

A gold trim 308 is available now on Etsy.

il_fullxfull.1900273867_fu3d.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes." 

- William Thackeray

#8 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:28

Am I the only one who'd like to see all Penbbs models in gold trim?

Some would be nice, I suppose, but I for one certainly do not want to see all PenBBS models offer both gold and silver/chrome trim as options.

The Lingmo Lorelei 019 and 667 are clones of the PenBBS 308 (but I don't know who cloned who), and they tend to come in gold trim but not silver/chrome trim. If you're after a particular acrylic, all you need do is look, without expecting PenBBS as a brand to make it easy for you and give you all the options you want.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#9 drathbun

drathbun

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2020 - 21:24

I just picked up another gold trim 308 at Etsy.

il_794xN.1900267857_l84v.jpg

https://www.etsy.com...ef=user_profile

Plus, the limited finish "Niangao" is available in gold trim on the 308 as well.

il_794xN.1547655857_gs0p.jpg

https://www.etsy.com..._active_1&crt=1

Edited by drathbun, 02 February 2020 - 21:26.

- William Thackeray

#10 awa54

awa54

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:55

I'd always take *good* chrome/steel/rhodium trim over average gold trim.  Making gold plated hardware that actually looks like karat gold, rather than "golden" plating *and* wears well seems to be rather more expensive than doing this for silver colored trim.

I also favor stainless watches, so when picking a pen to match the days watch, I'm constantly wishing for more silver trim pens...

David-

So many restoration projects...

#11 drathbun

drathbun

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 00:23

Ah but the OP specifically said Penbbs "hates" gold trim. I just wanted to show that they ARE available. Plus, Penbbs has done some very good matte gold finishes and, with the new 492, a matte rose gold finish. I will have to wait a few weeks for my 492 to arrive to decide whether I like it or not.

83131176_1026096577771457_26083650436616

82263872_1026096161104832_38792618738911

- William Thackeray

#12 WLSpec

WLSpec

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:33

Those are some nice pictures! Thanks for sharing, might have to get myself a PenBBS

-WLSpec

#13 TheVintagelife

TheVintagelife

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 22:52

Yeah, I would have loved to find gold trims as well, especially for my vermouth green 456 and my autumn 500.  The vermouth in gold trims looks stunning but it is available only from a couple of aliexpress seller and they are quoting $64, which is too high for me. Only a couple of options in gold trim at any point of time on the official Etsy site, hence my only gold trim (by trim, I mean this pen only has a clip, but no ring) is my least favorite penBBS - the aluminium 380 (lovely pen, but I don't enjoy the satin aluminium section- my fingers keep fidgeting for a good grip - and I find the penBBS cartridge converter pens usually write much dryer...). 

fpn_1581115919__456_and_380_small.jpg

Sponsored Content

|