The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M625 Blue Cap Line Degradation?

pelikan m625 blue cap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lentar

Lentar

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:29

Please see the attached pictures. This is a new, old stock blue M625, however the inlaid stripe line pattern on the cap is no longer sharp, and seemingly smudged. Can this be fixed easily, or should I just pass this? Seller is giving it for $200.

Attached Images

• IMG_20191202_063230.jpg
  • IMG_20191202_063133.jpg
  • IMG_20191202_063258.jpg

Edited by Lentar, 02 December 2019 - 01:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:47

$200 for the whole pen is a steal irregardless of the cap blemish.  I *believe* that the lines are probably enamel and wonder is the problem is more with the metal possibly corroding.  A fix would likely be expensive but you could have the lines removed and the whole cap replated.

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,602 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 22:02

Pass, in you would have to send it to Pelikan Hanover and hope they would repair it.

I would think they might try....but it's more work than just popping on a new cap.....could be they have a few old caps in stock.

Email them and ask.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 15:25

Can you not get higher res pics of the cap, with maybe a macro or close up shot? These pics are much too grainy to know anything for certain, likely done this way on purpose. Could need a simple cleaning, or the inlaid stripes might indeed be damaged beyond repair. Either way, if it's priced much lower than it should be, its likely the seller knows theres a serious issue with the cap (I don't know what they normally go for though) and just wants to unload it.

If you don't care about having a pristine example, get it (and hope it can be restored). If you are a collector and want a perfect specimen, this likely isn't the pen for you.

#5 Lentar

Lentar

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:44

Here are some more pictures, still not the best.

Attached Images

• IMG_20191204_023221.jpg
  • IMG_20191205_123913.jpg
  • IMG_20191205_123913.jpg

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,602 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 23:19

On third thought, if Pelikan won't do a free or cheap repair, one can live with it for $200....it's not the end of the world.

And it is not hugely noticeable....

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 indyshaq

indyshaq

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:33

Assuming it's authentic, if I could buy that pen for $200 even with those blemishes, I would not cry about it. I own this same model and my stripes are fine but even if they weren't, for that price you could easily use it and sell it used with pictures of the problem and probably still get all your money back.

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• 28,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:47

Great price! The cap is sterling with rhodium coating. I'm quite certain the blue lines are not the problem but wear (like brassing) has occured on the rhodium finish. I believe that a good polish with a sunshine cloth would have this pen looking great.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan m625, blue, cap

Sponsored Content

|