The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

149 Calligraphy & Ink Performance

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:44

I've had my 149 Calligraphy for a couple weeks love and my love of the pen hasn't flagged a bit, I love this nib.

My experience with ink has been interesting, soon as I got the pen home I inked it with Iroshizuku Yu-Yake, but almost immediately cleaned that out because the line put down was too faint when not flexing the nib. Next was Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu, and I was constantly amazed by the complete lack of railroading no matter how hard I pushed the nib. That fill lasted a few days, next up was Aurora Black, a nice line when not flexed, but regular railroading, not too bad, but.... Then I thought I'd give Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses a try, pretty much a repeat of the performance of the Aurora Black.

Now I'm back with the Tokiwa-Matsu and railroading has gone the way of the Dodo.

In my mind I always considered Tokiwa-Matsu a 'wet' ink and only used it in pens with a fine nib, or pens that wrote dry.

Is 'wet' the right word? Maybe 'lubricated' is a better word? Why does this ink flow so well in the 149 that the nib never railroads?

I've got a few other Sailor inks - Rikyu-Cha, Shigure & Soutin - I'll probably give one or more of these a try on the next fill.

I'd be happy to hear from other owners of this pen regarding what ink they're using, and the general performance of the nib.

On a side note, I was in the local MB Boutique today to purchase a bottle of Permanent Black, as the staff knew that I owned a 149 Calligraphy they were pretty quick to warn me against using this ink in the pen, but they couldn't really enumerate why. Anyone have any thoughts?

FYI, I was looking for the permanent black for my 146.

On a side-side note, I got a chance to handle a resin version of the writers edition Homer fountain pen. It's a unusual looking pen, but it kinda grabbed me, and felt good in the hand. If it had been possible to buy it separate from the 3-pen set that they had, I might have jumped. So, I guess I got lucky and didn't overheat my credit card.

Cheers,

David

Sponsored Content

#2 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:09

Sailor Jentle inks are in general quite good for flex nib writing, in my experience.  Something about their viscosity.  I have no experience with the Montblanc calligraphy nib, this is just a general observation.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#3 Pointyscratchy

Pointyscratchy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 23:40

I'm one of the cohort who now has one of these,I've only been a fountain pen convert for a couple of years, but this is the pen- a very fine EEF going to a 2B+- with a 149MB body, great springback; unquenchable ink-flow; while also usable as a daily writer, that feels like someone took my personal wish list by invading my brain via astral projection while I was asleep and rushing it onto the market.

They didn't rush that much because they say thirty technicians worked for three years on it and a Nobel aspirant came up with the ink feed.But who knows? maybe they just read a certain FPN thread and thought shoot, why not give these pen geeks what they want?

It could be that they were merely filling out their product line in the Pilot Falcon niche, although it should be noted that this and similar pens only dare use the word 'soft' and shy from the word 'flex'.Not only does MB dare use the F word, but also the tags expression and caligraphy. Maybe they just wanted to establish that they weren't just a fashion brand but actually make the best writing instruments in the world? Anyway, whatever their motivation, and MB surely do move in mysterious ways, the pen is here now, and what's more I've got one.It's bliss.

As to ink (the thread topic) I've got plenty, Parker, waterman, MB etc, but the first and current inking for this was a Lamy blue simply because I wanted a contrast with some of my other inked pens (Majorly a MB149 EF).

The truth is I'm not very good with this pen- the phrase all the gear and no idea springs to mind- and I feel like a novice driver handed the controls of a fighter jet.I need to learn how to use it and to this end Amazon today delivered Mr Sulls instruction book on penmanship.I'm as excited by the book as I am the pen, and for anyone who doesn't know what it's about is I refer them to the Brian Goulet review on youtube.

The pen and the book should keep me quiet for a while.Quiet in a contented way because even after lots of practice if I am still rubbish I am very happy in the aspiration towards excellence of it all.There aren't that many areas in life where you can come this close to it.

Edited by Pointyscratchy, 02 December 2019 - 23:54.

#4 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:17

I'm one of the cohort who now has one of these,I've only been a fountain pen convert for a couple of years, but this is the pen- a very fine EEF going to a 2B+- with a 149MB body, great springback; unquenchable ink-flow; while also usable as a daily writer, that feels like someone took my personal wish list by invading my brain via astral projection while I was asleep and rushing it onto the market.

They didn't rush that much because they say thirty technicians worked for three years on it and a Nobel aspirant came up with the ink feed.But who knows? maybe they just read a certain FPN thread and thought shoot, why not give these pen geeks what they want?

It could be that they were merely filling out their product line in the Pilot Falcon niche, although it should be noted that this and similar pens only dare use the word 'soft' and shy from the word 'flex'.Not only does MB dare use the F word, but also the tags expression and caligraphy. Maybe they just wanted to establish that they weren't just a fashion brand but actually make the best writing instruments in the world? Anyway, whatever their motivation, and MB surely do move in mysterious ways, the pen is here now, and what's more I've got one.It's bliss.

As to ink (the thread topic) I've got plenty, Parker, waterman, MB etc, but the first and current inking for this was a Lamy blue simply because I wanted a contrast with some of my other inked pens (Majorly a MB149 EF).

The truth is I'm not very good with this pen- the phrase all the gear and no idea springs to mind- and I feel like a novice driver handed the controls of a fighter jet.I need to learn how to use it and to this end Amazon today delivered Mr Sulls instruction book on penmanship.I'm as excited by the book as I am the pen, and for anyone who doesn't know what it's about is I refer them to the Brian Goulet review on youtube.

The pen and the book should keep me quiet for a while.Quiet in a contented way because even after lots of practice if I am still rubbish I am very happy in the aspiration towards excellence of it all.There aren't that many areas in life where you can come this close to it.

Congratulations on the new pen, have fun. 

#5 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:45

~ Pointyscratchy:

I'd asked a friend about the inks they feel work best in Montblanc Expression Nibs.

Your helpful post provides more ink ideas.

With the Sulls instruction book, time, and a high quality pen, there is sure to be much writing pleasure into 2020 and beyond.

Thank you for posting your impression of writing with the pen.

Tom K.

#6 oldrifleman

oldrifleman

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:59

I have been using Pelikan Smoky Quartz in mine and have not had issues with it!

#7 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 17:52

I have been using Pelikan Smoky Quartz in mine and have not had issues with it!

I haven't tried any of the Pelikan inks, they're not available locally, none of the local retailers sell Pelikan.

I purchased my first Pelikan from Perks here in Vancouver and I wonder if it was the last Pelikan that they sold, they no longer carry the brand.

#8 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,252 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 18:28

At least it's Canadian:

https://www.wonderpe..._Ink_s/2077.htm

#9 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 19:17

At least it's Canadian:

https://www.wonderpe..._Ink_s/2077.htm

I've ordered from Wonder Pens a number of times, always good service.

Here in Canada we've entered the 'no online ink purchases' period, runs from now till about March. Cargo sitting on the tarmac at an airport risks exposure to freezing temperatures.

This was a lesson actually learned from an order from Wonder Pens, the included bottle of ink (can't remember brand or colour) froze and broke. The package was soaked through and Canada Post had it placed in a plastic bag. I took a picture of the package and Wonder Pens refunded me the price of the ink, everything else in the package was fine. I don't think I ever reordered that ink. Hmmm, what was it?

So, maybe I should create a scheduled reminder on my iPhone for March regarding Pelikan inks? :-)

#10 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 19:20

I've ordered from Wonder Pens a number of times, always good service.

Here in Canada we've entered the 'no online ink purchases' period, runs from now till about March. Cargo sitting on the tarmac at an airport risks exposure to freezing temperatures.

This was a lesson actually learned from an order from Wonder Pens, the included bottle of ink (can't remember brand or colour) froze and broke. The package was soaked through and Canada Post had it placed in a plastic bag. I took a picture of the package and Wonder Pens refunded me the price of the ink, everything else in the package was fine. I don't think I ever reordered that ink. Hmmm, what was it?

So, maybe I should create a scheduled reminder on my iPhone for March regarding Pelikan inks? :-)

The ink must have been Diamine Ancient Copper, I checked my order history and that ink shows up on two of my orders.

#11 oldrifleman

oldrifleman

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 20:21

I haven't tried any of the Pelikan inks, they're not available locally, none of the local retailers sell Pelikan.

I purchased my first Pelikan from Perks here in Vancouver and I wonder if it was the last Pelikan that they sold, they no longer carry the brand.

Yeah, I end up getting mine through the mail. Seattle is such a Booming town with such a terrible fountain pen infrastructure (Even though we had the second largest Pelikan hub in the USA for the last two years).

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:23

~ ItsMeDave:

I'm sorry to know that such a major city as Vancouver lacks a Pelikan dealer.

They're superb pens. The ink is reliable, including in Montblanc pens.

I hope that in time it'll become possible for you to find Pelikan pens and inks in Vancouver.

Tom K.

#13 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:26

Yeah, I end up getting mine through the mail. Seattle is such a Booming town with such a terrible fountain pen infrastructure (Even though we had the second largest Pelikan hub in the USA for the last two years).

~ oldrifleman:

I'm truly sorry to know that Seattle's fountain pen infrastructure is poor.

I'm a Seattle native, although I haven't returned for a visit in several decades.

My first fountain pens were purchased from Thompson's Drugs beside the Bellevue Square, in the late 1960s.

It's very good to hear about such a large Pelikan Hub.

Tom K.

#14 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:07

~ oldrifleman:

I'm truly sorry to know that Seattle's fountain pen infrastructure is poor.

I'm a Seattle native, although I haven't returned for a visit in several decades.

My first fountain pens were purchased from Thompson's Drugs beside the Bellevue Square, in the late 1960s.

It's very good to hear about such a large Pelikan Hub.

Tom K.

Ah yes, Thompson's Drugs in the '60's.  Every Saturday, after the matinee at the John Danz Theater.  And Marvel Morgan's Drugs by the Albertson's...  "preserve your memories... they're all that's left you..." as the song says.  Here's the way we remember it Tom

fpn_1575583718__albs_on_8th_readerboard_

Edited by BillH, 05 December 2019 - 22:10.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#15 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:50

Ah yes, Thompson's Drugs in the '60's.  Every Saturday, after the matinee at the John Danz Theater.  And Marvel Morgan's Drugs by the Albertson's...  "preserve your memories... they're all that's left you..." as the song says.  Here's the way we remember it Tom

Cool. :-)

#16 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 23:20

~ BillH:

Color me ASTOUNDED!

I grew up in a home a three minute walk from there.

Marvel Morgan's served raspberry sherbet out of round tubs.

The cashier, Nancy, with a pony-tail, in Albertson's, was cheerful and friendly to my mom.

We used free red KFKF tickets for those John Danz matinees.

Sundays were riding down the street one block to the Bellevue Square to pretend that we were hydroplane racers (Bill Muncey) while stoping to gape at the monkeys in the Nordstrom shoe store windows.

You've brought back my childhood. 

Thank you so much!

Tom K.

#17 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:25

Tom K., you're very welcome sir.  I have all those memories too.  Worked many hours with all the ladies at that Alb's, and changed that readerboard more times than I can count.  Remember when they still had the lunch and ice cream counter?

OK, enough of that.  We need to get out of the way here so Lam1 can show us writing samples of his new 149 Calligraphy  :bunny01:  :bunny01:  :bunny01:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#18 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:45

Tom K., you're very welcome sir.  I have all those memories too.  Worked many hours with all the ladies at that Alb's, and changed that readerboard more times than I can count.  Remember when they still had the lunch and ice cream counter?

OK, enough of that.  We need to get out of the way here so Lam1 can show us writing samples of his new 149 Calligraphy  :bunny01:  :bunny01:  :bunny01:

Oh, no! Please, keep going. 

Even though I wasn't around here at those times, since I grew up in another country, I am having a blast with your's and Tom's stories.

As for the writing samples, I'll see if I get a pic later in the evening. 

But I don't use much of its flexing capabilities. So far it served me more like a wonderful EF nib.

#19 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:52

~ BillH:

In Autumn, 1961, my second grade class marched up to that very Albertson's bakery to watch cakes being iced,

My first ever field trip.

Yes, I do remember the lunch and ice cream counter.

Dare I admit that we switched to QFC when it was built, as it was kitty-corner to where we lived, at the East Entrance of Vuecrest, on 100th?

OK, back to the 149 Calligraphy.

Tom K.

#20 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:54

As for the writing samples, I'll see if I get a pic later in the evening. 

But I don't use much of its flexing capabilities. So far it served me more like a wonderful EF nib.

~ Lam1:

I've been told by others that writing with their 149 Calligraphy pens have required a certain break-in period.

Whenever you're comfortable, any handwriting samples would be most welcome.

Tom K.

Sponsored Content

|