Pelikan Repair

inkyboy

I've have. Pelikan fountain pen which broke and requires repair. I went to Pelikan's Web site and submitted a request for service. After ten days I got a response that their customer service person has been out sick. They asked for some basic information about the pen which I provided about three weeks ago. I have heard nothing back from them, in spite of asking of to the hey received my message.

Does anyone have any other contact information for Pelikan to get service for my fountain pen? I thought they had a good reputation for customer service, but they are not responds to me.

This is my "go to" fountain pen and I'd really like to get it repaired. Any help or information anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Lloyd Bowman, Elkins Park, Pa.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkyboy

• sargetalon

• Ron Z

• roguewis

Abi is very good. I would give her a call instead of just writing. Your information may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

What broke? Pelikan's service generally is to replace the cap, or barrel, or whatever broke. If you want the pen repaired, they send you to guys like me. You can contact me back channel (by email please) if you'd like.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sometimes dependable service is just not. A backup is a great idea for anything you hate to do without. A common refrain for critical items these days, is: "three is two, two is one, one is none." Hope it works out for you- it hurts to be without a trusty pen.

Thank you both for your replies. The ONLY contact information I have been able to find for Pelikan is their customer service Web form. I haven't found an address or phone number.

Who is Abi, and how to I reach her?

By the way, the top of the cap with the clip broke off, apparently caused by corrosion and fatigué of the metal.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

While I appreciate your wish to help, my message stated that I have tried using their Web submission form

(using the very URL you provided) without success. No one is responding.

Edited by inkyboy

While I appreciate your wish to help, my message stated that I have tried using their Web submission form

(using the very URL you provided) without success. No one is responding.

Pelikan has several web submission forms that get routed in different ways. Hard to know which one you tried. Contact them directly in Germany for instance and they will ascertain your location and forward the query to Chartpak. The one I provided was made to go directly to Chartpak or you can try Chartpak directly via the link provided and cut out the Pelikan middle man. Here is some direct contact info but it's 2 years old so I have no idea if it is still valid;

Ms. Abigail Weeks

Pelikan/Porsche Design FWI Repair Dept.

CHARTPAK, INC., USA.

Tel. 1-800-628-1910 x 240

Tel. 413-584-5446 x 240

penrepair@chartpak.com

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I will weigh in and say that I recently needed a Pelikan repair and I started with ChartPak from which I received a kind and professional response. Basically, they indicated they would not repair the pen, per se, but replace the barrel. I ended up reaching out to Ron Zorn and he repaired the pen in a reasonable period of time and for a price considerably less than the replacement part. I do not know Mr. Zorn, but I was totally pleased with his customer service and the end result.

Also worth noting is that Chartpak will only work on pens as a warranty repair. If your pen was not bought from an authorized dealer from within the USA, they won't help you. They won't sell you a part, they don't work on pens for a fee and they don't budge on this no matter what. I've had decent interactions with Abi and miserable ones (they sent me replacement pen that was brand new, yet damaged, and on another occasion, they sent me an M200 instead of an M205). It all depends on your issue...

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. However this turns out I will follow up to let the community know my experience with Pelikan customer service. I am not expecting a free repair or replacement part. I just want to get a new pen cap. It's ridiculous that one failed piece would render the entire pen useless, especially a brand with a reputation apparently as good as Pelikan.

• 1 year later...

I just tried out for the first time the Pelikan direct on-line service request process, which I think only works for requests in Germany, and I have heard anecdotally possibly Austria (though the website specifically says, "Der Service gilt nur für Schreibgeräte-Reparaturen aus Deutschland.").

It was a very simple process. You have to register a customer account (e-mail, user name, password), fill out your contact/shipping information, describe the problem in a few words, and submit the repair request form. A request is automatically generated, and a shipping label and copy of the service request is emailed to the requestor.

All I had to do is pack the pen carefully for shipping (I used an old Pelikan box), print out and attach the shipping label to the box, and pay for shipping to Peine (which was about 7.5 Euros, including insurance). Pelikan got the pen two days later. The status of the request was updated automatically.

I have heard it said that first impressions are important, and in this case my first impression is a very good one.

The pen was a Turquoise-White M600 with a now-infamous cracked white cap. I shipped the pen last Thursday afternoon, April 8 via DHL, and it arrived in Peine on Saturday, April 10. On Monday, April 12, Pelikan confirmed (via web-tracking of the request and also via e-mail notification) that they had received the pen, and an hour later confirmed it was a warranty repair. Yesterday morning, my request status was updated again as complete, and a UPS tracking number was posted in my account. The repaired pen arrived back into my hands this afternoon at 16:47, six days and two hours after I shipped it, and because it was a warranty repair, Pelikan paid the return shipping. In the entire process I had zero contact with a human being: it was from my end all automatic.

Call me impressed.

If I ever have an non-warranty repair, it will be interesting to learn how they handle the invoicing/payment. Does anyone have experience in Germany with a paid repair?

On 12/4/2019 at 7:11 AM, sirgilbert357 said:

Also worth noting is that Chartpak will only work on pens as a warranty repair. If your pen was not bought from an authorized dealer from within the USA, they won't help you. They won't sell you a part, they don't work on pens for a fee and they don't budge on this no matter what. I've had decent interactions with Abi and miserable ones (they sent me replacement pen that was brand new, yet damaged, and on another occasion, they sent me an M200 instead of an M205). It all depends on your issue...

This policy has changed at Chartpak. They repaired my M800 last summer that was definitely out of warranty.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:02 PM, sargetalon said:

Pelikan has several web submission forms that get routed in different ways. Hard to know which one you tried. Contact them directly in Germany for instance and they will ascertain your location and forward the query to Chartpak. The one I provided was made to go directly to Chartpak or you can try Chartpak directly via the link provided and cut out the Pelikan middle man. Here is some direct contact info but it's 2 years old so I have no idea if it is still valid;

Ms. Abigail Weeks

Pelikan/Porsche Design FWI Repair Dept.

CHARTPAK, INC., USA.

Tel. 1-800-628-1910 x 240

Tel. 413-584-5446 x 240

penrepair@chartpak.com

Abi is no longer the person you deal with.

I had two pleasant dealings recently with repair of a Pelikan M805.  They were both replacement of the barrel.  The first time, Abi told me I could either send it directly to Chartpak or have one of their authorized repair places do it.  I chose the latter, and used Fountain Pen Hospital.  The same problem developed two years later and I again sent it to FPH, who sent it to Chartpak.  There was no charge because of the warranty on the previous repair.

Note: Main Street Pens (Ron Zorn) is not the only facility that repairs Pelikans.  

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65