• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thx1138

• dennis_f

• dan in montreal

• mikerph

Ive got a standard black with chrome trim and the brushes rose gold one- Ive used the black one some an it writes well, if a little wet. It does seem a little top heavy with the cap posted, but is tolerable

Secundum Artem

Hi! I bought mine for a really good price. It is this model: LINK It is more a solid pen than a heavy one, I'd say. It writes wonderfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I bought mine for a really good price. It is this model: LINK It is more a solid pen than a heavy one, I'd say. It writes wonderfully.

I have the same model. Completely agree with you.

I love them. even modern ones have two versions now... with screw on cap and push/pull type cap. they have a slightly different clip design. I have 6 fps and 1 bp in older style. would like to add the brown rose gold trim, the grey with golden cap and red with silver cap as well to the collection someday....

I will be sending mine off to exchange the medium grade nib for a broad.

Hopefully as nice a nib as in my big red duofold.

The Parker Premier is my favorite modern Parker. The design is a modernized version of the Parker 75, I had the push/pull cap and recently bought the screw on cap. The screw on cap is a significantly better pen in terms of design and build quality. The nib is borrowed from the Waterman Phileas but with Parker stamped on it in 18K. That's probably why the Premier writes so well.

If you can get it for a reasonable price, it's a good, solid pen. I have the black barrel with silver tartan cap and a fine nib and it works perfectly. I got mine for a very good price this fall on Amazon (which I try to avoid as much as I can, but the price in this case was too good to pass up). It seems the main design flaw (the placement of the clip on the cap) has been fixed on all the recent screw on cap models. I'm quite satisfied with mine.

If you can get it for a reasonable price, it's a good, solid pen. I have the black barrel with silver tartan cap and a fine nib and it works perfectly. I got mine for a very good price this fall on Amazon (which I try to avoid as much as I can, but the price in this case was too good to pass up). It seems the main design flaw (the placement of the clip on the cap) has been fixed on all the recent screw on cap models. I'm quite satisfied with mine.

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest (having been tempted by both recent versions of the Premier), but haven't had anything to contribute (sorry)... but I do have a couple of questions for the most recent posters, if you don't mind elaborating on some of your comments:

Dan In Montreal: about that new clip design... What was the problem with the older version? I rather quite liked the look of it (it looked solid, and I liked the shape of it), whereas the new one looks a bit thin and tinny (like something you might bend if you rubbed it the wrong way... or something that might snap off after multiple uses).. To me it doesn't look like a quality clip, but something you'd find on a Jotter (which is fine on a jotter, but doesn't impress me on what's supposed to be a substantially nicer pen).

Is the clip really an improvement on the previous model? Does it look like a quality clip in real life (I should add: no, I haven't seen the new one in person. It seems I can't find anyone who stocks it locally).

Thanks Dan,

D.

Edited by dennis_f

The Parker Premier is my favorite modern Parker. The design is a modernized version of the Parker 75, I had the push/pull cap and recently bought the screw on cap. The screw on cap is a significantly better pen in terms of design and build quality. The nib is borrowed from the Waterman Phileas but with Parker stamped on it in 18K. That's probably why the Premier writes so well.

And here's my second question... for Brabus.

Brabus, you mentioned in your post that the new screw on cap is "significantly better" in terms of design. Why? Was there a problem with the previous snap cap (I tend to prefer snap caps).

Also: are the threads noticeable on the new version? I mean, when you're using the pen.

One of the changes that seemed to occur (in terms of design) when they added the threads was that the section seemed to become thinner. Is this the case, or is that just an optical effect?

In case you missed my previous post, I'll say again: I haven't had a chance to see the newer version in person, but I am familiar with the previous one.

Thanks Brabus.

D.

Hello Dennis. I remember reading about 2 design flaws and they are both addressed in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/202829-beware-the-beautiful-parker-premier-black-edition-trap/

As far as the new clip is concerned, it's quite Ok. At least it doesn't seem to want to break off.

Hope this helps!

Happy new year people.

Thanks for the link -- I hadn't come across that post before -- and the comment on the clip Dan! I'm glad to hear my impressions are off the mark.

Happy new year to you as well.

D.

I'm a big fan of the current generation Parker Premier. The pens have a good size and heft, not too big but substantial in the hand. The nibs are firm but super smooth. They feel a lot like the Duofold nibs in that respect, though I wish they offered some of the specialty nib sizes. They're pretty much only available in fine or medium, though I believe you can send them to Parker for nib exchange to EF or broad. There are some really nice patterns and finishes available, though I wish they'd do a sterling model, or at least a Cisele. I have three in my current collection, including two Custom models with pearlized sating lacquer and engraved caps, and one of the Luxury models in rubberized brown lacquer with rose gold trim. They are, I think, a little overpriced. There are great deals to be had on Amazon though. The Premier Custom models retail for $640, though you can get them for less than half of that on Amazon. The silver tartan Custom is on sale on Amazon now for $187, which is a screaming deal. For $640, though, I'd probably skip over it. I've included some pics of my set, including a Sonnet and Duofold Centennial for size comparison. I like the nib engraving a lot, and I find it really interesting that they offer the nib in so many finishes- mine includes yellow gold, rose gold, and ruthenium plated. They also offer white gold and black pvd. Maybe that's why they don't offer so many point sizes...

pBBbbGW.jpg

PYWBVhS.jpg

yYO7BDU.jpg

Ee9Dlo7.jpg

U8ApQae.jpg

A quick check of Amazon shows some pretty good deals available, with plain black models available for well under $200. Some of the better deals include the Custom Tartan M for $187 instead of $640, Custom Storm Grey F for $228 from $640, Luxury Black F for $250 from $660, Luxury Brown F for $237 from $660 and Monochrome Black/Stealth F for $213 from $625.

All three of mine came from Amazon, as well as the Duofold and Sonnet pictured. There's a pretty solid selection, great prices, and it's monitored if not run by Parker, so they support everything sold there.

Thank you for the great replies. I will try to post photos of my premiers soon. A mix of fountain and ballpoints.

• 2 weeks later...

I read about the clip problems on the first gen. Premier clips. I wonder if it only involved the matte black version or others; and if the ballpoints were involved. Any information is appreciated.

Secundum Artem