Fp Friendly Paper - Uk Specific

Dip n Scratch

I would love a list of FP friendly products targeted towards the UK.

All I can get locally (East Yorkshire) at present is Clairefontaine and Oxford Optik.

The Clairefontaine paper is in Rhodia & Europa pads as well as under their own name.

Some Supermarket chains do get Clairefontaine pads as part of a 'back-to-school' range in August and I am also hoping for a repeat in December/January '20 as I scored Clairefontaine A5 Koverbooks silly-cheap.

Wilkinson (Wilko) used to have Silvene Memo books and exercise books cheap but do not do them now. It's all their 'own' brand light-weight paper, 60 or 70gsm that I know nothing about.

Get a truly bad pad and you get bleed-through affecting two sheets & just marking the third sheet.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• dapprman

• almoore

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dig around at The Journal Shop (currently 20% off) and Choosing Keeping.

Stalogy notebooks available on AMZ. Choosing Keeping refers to it as "Bible Paper."

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Hi

It all depends on what size notebook you are looking for; Amazon has a good range including GLP The Author which uses Tomoe River Paper, Midori notebooks and Insight Editions do themed notebooks (mostly Harry Potter) that I've tested as FP friendly. All of these are around A5; for A4 I would suggest Fabriano but only if you can get it retail - their shipping is just daft, Rhodia seem to get good feedback and can be got in quite a few places. Also some of the notebooks from Tiger stores are good - i use the A5 black softback notebook and they're not expensive and what I've had has been FP friendly.

My friend Charlie runs a website and has reviewed quite a few notebooks and one of his criteria is FP friendly:

https://theindianmarmaladecompany.com/

Al

I've mentioned these two before in another thread, but you could also look at:

The Darkstar Collection (https://www.thewriti...tar-collection/) - smaller, almost but not quite Field Notes size, 100gsm paper, quick drying (so no sheen or anything, but depends what you need), no bleed or showthrough.

Scribbles That Matter (https://www.scribblesthatmatter.com/) - A5 hardback journals, again with 100gsm paper, a tiny amount of showthrough (with a dark ink), but no bleed!

I have both and am very happy with them.

I can't add much than than what has already been said except: The Range sometimes has very good note pads/books with up to 120gsm papers. Also, their prices are very good!

Oh yes, check in your local university if they have an art shop. We have in our uni down here and it is amazing what I have been able to get there at fairly good prices because they are catering for students.

My local Tesco is relatively good and does have the occasional deals on. Oxford Optik, Black'n'Red, Pukkah, and the Tesco Moleskin clone is actually 80gsm and very fountain pen friendly. Think Sainsburys might have the same range.

WH Smiths and Rymans both do Rhodia.

I'm just covering the common high street options here.

I have had good experience in the past with Basildon Bond. My source isn't what it used to be, so it has been awhile since I last used it. (I live in the US)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I had heard about the Pukka being FP friendly. But only the pads with certain styles of cover

I have a Jotta A5 ring bound notebook by me which works well - it is 80 gsm

Some Supermarket chains do get Clairefontaine pads as part of a 'back-to-school' range in August and I am also hoping for a repeat in December/January '20 as I scored Clairefontaine A5 Koverbooks silly-cheap.

Seems that's what Lidl did with United Office stationery:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348748-lidl-uk-notebooks-and-pens/

I'm willing to bet they'll also put some on for the new year, too.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg